what's in the blank spaces on the deck maps

rgmacm

As we choose a cabin location, I'm wondering WHAT is in the blank spaces on the deck maps. My vacation planner at Carnival doesn't know...and it's no where on the website. I have searched online for other sources too. There is just NO information on this.

We're looking at cabins that are right next to these blank spaces and while we could deal with some noises, our traveling companions (whom I'm making the reservation for....) will not deal well with it... :o

Are there any sources of this information out there that I just haven't found?

Depends on where you are looking. In general they are mostly "crew only" spaces. The large spaces on the lower levels like deck 3 and 4 are often the Galleys. You don't really want under them if you are bothered by noise. The smaller spaces can be the cabin steward closets where they store their carts, vacuum cleaners and other supplies. Or can be mechanical access rooms, pipes, electrical and such. A few times I've even seen some of the spaces to just be regular rooms assigned to the ships officers. Usually near the bridge.

Edited by Miller_KC

It depends on what deck and where. Some are room steward's closets, some are laundry rooms, some are storage closets, and some are crew hallways/stairs.

I have come to learn what is where on Conquest Class ships by scoping them out :)

I'm looking at Freedom which I believe is a Conquest class....deck 7 mid-ship. Do you know what is in that white space?

any information would be wonderful!!! :)

I'm looking at Freedom which I believe is a Conquest class....deck 7 mid-ship. Do you know what is in that white space?

The big area is mostly crew stairs/hallways/elevators. You will see that just about every floor has that space available so they can go up and down through there.

The blank spaces are where they store the air that keeps the ship afloat;). In addition to the answers already given the spaces are mechanical rooms for various machinery. Ships are noisy places, that's one reason that I bring earplugs.

The worst ones are the ice machines. I stayed in the bowling alley balcony on Pride 7260 and the ice machine room was next to the cabin next door (the smaller bowling alley). It was horrible! There was also a broom closet next to my cabin. Steward always slammed the door--it was just outside my cabin.

Edited by crusinpsychRN

The blank spaces are where they store the air that keeps the ship afloat;). In addition to the answers already given the spaces are mechanical rooms for various machinery. Ships are noisy places, that's one reason that I bring earplugs.

Yes, the vast majority of the space down the middle of passenger cabin decks is dedicated to A/C fan rooms. There will be stairs and elevators, and some lockers, but these fan rooms take up vast amounts of real estate.

If you are looking for a quiet room then I would just assume that nothing in those white spaces is going to help that. I would, however, be more concerned with what is above you or below you. Being over the disco is going to be much louder than whatever whitespace is next to you. Of course if you'll be in the disco making that noise then it won't be a bother. I'd rather be next to the room stewards pantry than right below the pizzeria.

I would google whatever individual cabin you are looking at, many sites have individual cabin reviews where people will say whatever the pros & cons of that particular cabin are. Also remember that the issues for each room would be the same across the ship class. i.e. 8445 on the Conquest is going to be the same as 8445 on the Freedom, etc.

Also look at some of the room layouts, I'm a big fan of the L-shaped cabins, with one reason being is that the bed is farther away from the hallway and around the corner of the L. Less hallway noise and since they tend to be on the back ends of the ships less hallway traffic in general.

If you are looking at the space between the inside cabins between the forward elevators and the midship elevators, that will be a fan room. If you are looking at the space that takes up the whole middle of the ship, with no inside cabins, between cabins 7354 and 7374, that will be the engine room space where the exhausts go up to the stack. You've got solid cabin decks above and below, so noise will only come from possibly the steward pantries in the morning when they are getting ready.

W are in room 1004 on the Glory and was wondering what the small grey space is right beside it and also the larger one in between 1002 and 1001 if anyone knows?

Edited by kbe2
spelling

W are in room 1004 on the Glory and was wondering what the small grey space is right beside it and also the larger one in between 1002 and 1001 if anyone knows?

The small triangular space is most likely just empty space. The large one in the middle is the spa pool and mechanicals under it.

Once we had a cabin right next to an area where they stored the luggage carts during the cruise. My hubby was taking a nap on embarkation day (we had a 12 hour drive) and they started stowing those carts. They were slamming against the wall so hard that the headboard was moving.

Most likely a lot of the "blank" spaces are crew cabins. I always thought that the cabins for the crew were on a bottom level deck, below where the guest cabins are, but I found out from my Behind the Fun tour that the cabins for crew members are on every level of the ship.

Most likely a lot of the "blank" spaces are crew cabins. I always thought that the cabins for the crew were on a bottom level deck, below where the guest cabins are, but I found out from my Behind the Fun tour that the cabins for crew members are on every level of the ship.

Actually I asked my room steward on the Glory 2 weeks ago about this. "Crew members" (including the room stewards, waiters, bartenders, cleaning crew, etc) stay on deck 0 or below. There are cabins designated for "Staff" such as entertainment, select Officers, etc. on passenger decks. Some of the time you will see that the rooms do not have room numbers, but are amongst other passenger cabins. They are for employees that have access to guest areas besides just doing their jobs. Otherwise they stay down below.

Edited by firemanbobswife

I stayed across from white space on empress deck (7) on Glory and Conquest (7373 both times, lucky number) and never heard any noise whatsoever. I had Cheers so perhaps I slept through it but I tend to be a very light sleeper.

Actually I asked my room steward on the Glory 2 weeks ago about this. "Crew members" (including the room stewards, waiters, bartenders, cleaning crew, etc) stay on deck 0 or below. There are cabins designated for "Staff" such as entertainment, select Officers, etc. on passenger decks. Some of the time you will see that the rooms do not have room numbers, but are amongst other passenger cabins. They are for employees that have access to guest areas besides just doing their jobs. Otherwise they stay down below.

I don't think you can say that they are on "every" deck. Looking at the Freedom deck plans, since this is what the OP was asking about, I would say the crew cabin blocks are:

The forward section of deck #3, #4, #5, and the area behind the bridge on deck #8.

It is not economical or efficient to place crew cabins in smaller blocks around the ship. Generally, the top 4-6 officers and the bridge officers are on deck #8. Some "guest entertainers" like comedians, and solo musicians will have "guest status" and will be in guest cabins as noted above, that do not fit the guest cabin numbering system.

There are mechanical spaces strewn throughout the ship, as well as places like the cabin stewards' linen storage, pantries where they wash the glasses and get the ice for the cabins, room service galleys, crew stairs, elevators, and passageways.