redeeming Delta miles

JB&JLG74

My husband and I have never redeemed airline miles, but finally have enough for a flight. We want to be on the same flight and each have enough miles in each of our accounts to do so, but neither of us have enough miles to obtain 2 tickets from one account. How do we do this? Must we use two computers, submit simultaneously, and cross our fingers? Is it possible to request two tickets and "pay" for them from two accounts at check out? Or put one on hold until the second is obtained? Any tips are appreciated. Thanks.

I have used sky miles for tickets from both my wife and myself for tickets. We had to keep constant check on seats to make sure we were seated together as you are not on the same ticket.

May I suggest that you post this question on the cruise air board. They might be able to give you some insight.

There is a section of Cruise Critic devoted to flying, located here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128

The Mods might move this there as it doesn't relate to HAL.

How you will do this depends on the rules of your program. That is where the board linked above come into play, there are many people familiar with your situation over there. You might be able to easily move the miles together in one account, or simply book each person's flight independently.

With Delta there's a cost to transferring miles from one account to another. Check online to see how much that fee is and then compare it with the cost of going through an actual Delta person to make the reservation for you -- they can deal with the issue of paying from two separate accounts and getting the seats.

Airlines play all kinds of games with awards seats. Even if you see available of the seats online, you may find (if you try to purchase the seats sequentially) that the second seat "disappears" after the first one is booked -- or the required mileage increases.

JB&JLG74,

Good for you on earning your miles! DH & I earn AA AAdvantage miles simultaneously. We usually have enough each to book separate tickets. I do make sure availability is there, log in with each account and hold the tickets, one right after the other. I have also used 2 computers at once if availability is limited (with AA you can enter numbers to see how many tickets are available at the moment. Sometimes I'll book one ways, if there's a chance a higher class will become available with the miles I have before my Hold expires...with American you can hold for 5 days & if availability is still there, can be extended by phone...but that can be time-consuming...just watch out for the time zone a Hold expires...it will usually be in the time zone of the flight of origin).

There have also been times I've paid for his ticket with my account (even though it was held through his account).

The first time I ever booked a frequent flyer award (with Continental), I did so over the phone because I wasn't yet comfortable. But after that, have used AA's website to do the bookings online.

I'm not familiar with the way Delta does things of late, but recommend visiting flyertalk dot com and search the Delta boards for a wealth of info.

All the best!

I would suggest phoning Delta with both of your accounts handy. They may be able to secure both of your seats. Although you will have different locator numbers, they may be able to link your bookings if all flights are on Delta. I have done this with Aeroplan on Air Canada flights.

JB&JLG74,

Good for you on earning your miles! DH & I earn AA AAdvantage miles simultaneously. We usually have enough each to book separate tickets. I do make sure availability is there, log in with each account and hold the tickets, one right after the other. I have also used 2 computers at once if availability is limited (with AA you can enter numbers to see how many tickets are available at the moment. Sometimes I'll book one ways, if there's a chance a higher class will become available with the miles I have before my Hold expires...with American you can hold for 5 days & if availability is still there, can be extended by phone...but that can be time-consuming...just watch out for the time zone a Hold expires...it will usually be in the time zone of the flight of origin).

There have also been times I've paid for his ticket with my account (even though it was held through his account).

The first time I ever booked a frequent flyer award (with Continental), I did so over the phone because I wasn't yet comfortable. But after that, have used AA's website to do the bookings online.

I'm not familiar with the way Delta does things of late, but recommend visiting flyertalk dot com and search the Delta boards for a wealth of info.

All the best!

Thanks for the heads up on flyertalk dot com. What a resource!

I would suggest phoning Delta with both of your accounts handy. They may be able to secure both of your seats. Although you will have different locator numbers, they may be able to link your bookings if all flights are on Delta. I have done this with Aeroplan on Air Canada flights.

This advice is correct - call Delta. We have done this in the past. They can find the best flights and they will link your locator numbers to each other. They may charge a fee - I think $25 - but that's cheaper than gifting your miles to your spouse. Good luck

My husband and I have never redeemed airline miles, but finally have enough for a flight. We want to be on the same flight and each have enough miles in each of our accounts to do so, but neither of us have enough miles to obtain 2 tickets from one account. How do we do this? Must we use two computers, submit simultaneously, and cross our fingers? Is it possible to request two tickets and "pay" for them from two accounts at check out? Or put one on hold until the second is obtained? Any tips are appreciated. Thanks.

As a long-time Delta flyer, when in doubt call Skymiles customer service 800-323-2323. They should be able to advise how to combine the reservations. You can book reward tickets about 11 months in advance (I think it's 330 days), but expect minor schedule changes over that length of time. I use each schedule change as an opportunity to review what's available as they sometimes add better flights. If Delta changes your flight times, it gives you a no-charge opportunity to have Delta move you to a better scheduled flight.

Have done this exact thing on Delta with excellent results!

Edited by take us away

I agree with all the advice given! I am a long time elite with Delta and have paid to transfer miles from one account to another, or I have also paid for one ticket with miles and paid cash (on my Delta AMEX card) to get MORE miles. Call The Sky Miles # and ask them to link your reservations together if you do 2 separate reservations.. I learned this the hard way when returning from a cruise I found that our first class seats were no longer together. It was all straightened out on board.

You do need to monitor your reservation as changes do occur. I have found Delta to be very helpful. Enjoy your award seats!

Karen

Delta Skymiles are called Sky Pesos in the frequent flyer community as they are practically worthless. You may have enough miles but is the award even available at the level you have enough miles for? For the best, most Informative information on Delta's FF program go to flyertalk.com and click on the Delta forum which is a sub forum under the main forum for Airlines.

Also, please know that if you have points in American Express Membership Rewards you can transfer these to you Delta accounts.

Delta Skymiles are called Sky Pesos in the frequent flyer community as they are practically worthless. You may have enough miles but is the award even available at the level you have enough miles for? For the best, most Informative information on Delta's FF program go to flyertalk.com and click on the Delta forum which is a sub forum under the main forum for Airlines.

Also, please know that if you have points in American Express Membership Rewards you can transfer these to you Delta accounts.

Delta consistently wins WORST frequent flyer program in USA for good reason. They charge more miles than others and do NOT even have a chart to tell you how many miles you need for a particular trip. It is truly an AWFUL program. I only fly Delta when there is no other choice for this reason.

Debating the relative merits of Delta's program isn't really helpful to the OP, who has Delta points to spend....

Unfortunately, I am located in a major Delta hub and most of the time I have little choice other than flying with them. You do learn the ins and outs of their system. And any points are better than no points -- usually manage to get at least one overseas flight free every year and I don't exactly travel constantly.