Drowning on Liberty

chermilo

Newby, glad to hear it ended OK and your DD has grown in to a wonderful young woman. It could have been a different story so easily without your own eagle eye and surveillance of her in the water.

By the grace of God.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I live on the beach at the Jersey Shore. It's shocking the things I see every summer. There are days when there are red flags or yellow flags when the ocean is very rough or there are rip currents. You are not allowed in the water at all with a red flag, and with a yellow flag you are only allowed up to you knees.

It shocks me that as soon as the lifeguards leave for the day, parents are bringing their kids into the ocean. (or anyone is going into the ocean) They actually wait by the water to jump in as soon as the lifeguards leave. Some of the parents are sitting on the beach while their kids are going into the water by themselves, and even taking pictures. I don't know what they are thinking. Rip currents and rough seas are nothing to fool around with.

I also see little kids, under 5 years old, playing down by the water, with the parents sitting on the beach 20 ft away. Yes the parents can see their child, but it only takes a second for a large wave to come out of nowhere and wash their child out to sea.

I guess they thinks nothing bad is going to happen to them or their kids.

I can vouch for you with this claim.

I'm regularly at the Jersey Shore (LBI in particular) and as you said, it's very shocking what some people do.

I hate to say it, but I hear about deaths up and down the Jersey Shore far too often. It results from carelessness. However, lifeguards will not guarantee that no one drowns, either. People need to be smart about swimming, particularly in the ocean, but no one seems to understand that.

As I said in a previous post, I know someone who pays little to no attention to their kids while they're in the ocean. It bothers me.

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

I live on the beach at the Jersey Shore. It's shocking the things I see every summer. There are days when there are red flags or yellow flags when the ocean is very rough or there are rip currents. You are not allowed in the water at all with a red flag, and with a yellow flag you are only allowed up to you knees.

My trips to the beach are usually around Alabama or western Florida beaches. Maybe they use a different system there, but the flags are always either yellow or red. Double red flags mean no one is allowed in the water. If a yellow flag meant you are only allowed up to your knees, there would basically never be any swimming allowed. A green flag is theoretically part of the system, but I don't think I've ever seen one flying.

Most beach areas don't have lifeguards, though, so it's pretty much an honor system, though they sometimes have officers patrolling beaches when it's double-red, and they can give citations to people who are ignoring the swimming ban.

Written on your heart, thanks for the link. This link is a great learning tool. I think everyone should read this link and watch the videos. If you are serious about child and adult swim safety please go to the link.

Thanks for the video link! I watched it and really didn't know that a person can drown silently.:o But, I do now! It would be a great idea if RCCL (and other lines) would play a similar video on the pool screen intermittently to inform other cruisers!!:rolleyes:;)

Not sure if it'll do any good but I just sent an email to C&A with the video, asking RCCL to do just that! Hopefully, someone will listen and pass it on for implementation.

Edited by SilkySal
addition

Thanks for the video link! I watched it and really didn't know that a person can drown silently.:o But, I do now! It would be a great idea if RCCL (and other lines) would play a similar video on the pool screen intermittently to inform other cruisers!!:rolleyes:;)

That's a great idea. Perhaps they could run that video more and the hand washing video a bit less.

My trips to the beach are usually around Alabama or western Florida beaches. Maybe they use a different system there, but the flags are always either yellow or red. Double red flags mean no one is allowed in the water. If a yellow flag meant you are only allowed up to your knees, there would basically never be any swimming allowed. A green flag is theoretically part of the system, but I don't think I've ever seen one flying.

Most beach areas don't have lifeguards, though, so it's pretty much an honor system, though they sometimes have officers patrolling beaches when it's double-red, and they can give citations to people who are ignoring the swimming ban.

The area that I go to on the Jersey Shore uses a green-yellow-red system. Whenever it is safe to swim, green will be used. Yellow is when it's a bit dangerous. Red means no swimming. I'm not positive that all NJ beaches use that system, but I'm guessing that the other poster will have the same experience.

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

As a regular cruiser with RCI I am fully aware that lifeguards are not provided by the pools but then again I can swim and don't cruise with little ones so it is not an issue.

On the Brilliance 14th Dec. sailing there were 200 guests classed as children.

We were in the DL at cocktail hour with an excellent view of the pool. The HD happened to stop by and told us he had someone posted at the pool as the kids were all just jumping in.

In the space of 30 mins. we saw 3 kids pulled from the pool by the attendants.

Parents be like hawks, better still get in the pool with them.

The area that I go to on the Jersey Shore uses a green-yellow-red system. Whenever it is safe to swim, green will be used. Yellow is when it's a bit dangerous. Red means no swimming. I'm not positive that all NJ beaches use that system, but I'm guessing that the other poster will have the same experience.

Yes we have the green flag when it's "safe" to swim, but you still have to watch. I've seen lifeguards go in many times when there was a green flag.

You always have to be on alert, especially in the ocean. It can change so fast.

I do not want or feel the need for lifeguards on the ship. That will only take more responsibility away from the parents who should be the lifeguards. Parents need to be IN the pool at no more than an arms length away from the child at all times! SIMPLE. So very simple. Drowning is 100% preventable. Popping the kids in the pool while you head over for your next poolside cocktail needs to stop. Yes...it's just my opinion.

Not sure if it'll do any good but I just sent an email to C&A with the video, asking RCCL to do just that! Hopefully, someone will listen and pass it on for implementation.

A sincere thank you for doing this.

Good Health to all in the New Year.

Or better yet, instead of the corny washy, washy video.

I was at a popular beach in Sydney which had 3 lifeguards. My 7 y/o was playing on the sand at the waters edge. I was watching her like a hawk. All of a sudden, a huge wave took her out of her depth. Immediately, I saw she was in trouble. Fully clothed I raced into the water. Instinctively, she raised her face and tried to float as someone else on here mentioned. She could swim however was literally washed off her feet. . . . Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same thing happened to me when I was younger than that. Every time I regained my feet, another wave would knock them out from under me. Not sure how long it lasted, but it seemed forever. All of a sudden, Daddy was holding me and heading for shore. I think I was a teenager before I went deeper than knee deep.

I'd take it a step further. Don't cruise until the kids learn to swim.

Edited by knittinggirl

I think the Atlantic Coast drops off faster than the Pacific. We can get quite a way out and still be fairly shallow in the Pacific, at least around the San Francisco area.

Even when your kids can swim that is not enough.

Parents must actively watch their children in pool. period.

Young ones must be arm's length.

19% of drownings of children are at public pools with lifeguards present.

80% are residential pools. That leave 1% at public pools with no lifeguards.

(Statistics also say your chance of drowning at a guarded pool or beach are only 1 in 18 million - that's because there are so many people at guarded beaches.)

92% of children found unresponsive within 2 minutes of submersion are revived and live.

90% of parents of a child who dies from drowning end up divorced.

I was a lifeguard for several years. I pulled about 7 kids out of the water when I was actively guarding a lake beach. None of their parents were in teh water. Some were on the beach and inattentive, unaware their kid had started to struggle. A few were not even on the beach.

Despite the well-regarded videos that ask "can you spot the drowning child" there are actually many signs that a child is in trouble that you can see actively before they actually start to drown. Fatigue. Arms and head not lifted out of what water - visible loss of strength and stamina. I reached my arm out to a HUNDRED kids looking like this - and more often than not they grab right on and needed to rest. I take them to shallow water and tell them to sit and rest now.

30 years later I go into lifeguard mode at every pool. I cannot stand to be at Cruise Ship pools where the number of negligent parents is unacceptable - like 60% or more of the kids are not being actively watched.

Rough housing, fatigue and risk taking are the three biggest factors leading to near drownings. I stop all rough housing, even with kids that aren't mine. Pushing someone underwater who isn't expecting it akin to trying to kill someone. And a kid who just did that and their target doesn't get back up quickly... well do you think they will yell for help or contemplate if this is going to turn out bad for them first? I forbid underwater play also. I can't see my child underwater and know she's OK. Kids get fatigued because they don't want to get out and rest - they want to keep having fun, and overextend themselves. Risk taking is the worst one. So many kids are not taught basic safety and to follow rules. I see so many kids diving into shallow water at every public pool.

These tragedies are almost always avoidable.

On another ship yesterday moored in Cozumel with Liberty. Talked to a Liberty passenger, said the child was in a crowded pool and was a "silent Drowning", child went under and with all of the activity by the time the pulled the child out he had been under a while. One report had a guest pulled child out, and child was attended by pool staff, then medical staff for an extended time. Was told they did CPR for a very long time and the child did not recover.

Many times when there is an accident onboard it seems to be hushed, but ALOT of people saw and heard about the CPR efforts so the word was out. Prior to making port the ship had the Captains reception in the promenade, and the Captain addressed it at the reception and had a moment of silence for the child.

There was an ambulance waiting not he pier when the passengers disembarked in Cozumel for shore excursions.

People, hug your children...

Edited by N41EF
spelling...

The child didn't drown - he was revived. It was on Oasis in January. And I have sailed on allure twice and oasis once since that accident and every time they have had an attendant next to that whirlpool

I post this not to detract from the horrible tragedy which has taken place but to correct the very misinformed post which I quoted above. Please get your facts straight before you post

Thank you for the correction. I did not know the 4yo recovered.

Further to my previous post I want to add that my daughter was "between the flags" meaning it was deemed safest and lifeguards were patrolling that area. They didn't even see me emerge from the water, wet, and fully clothed carrying a 7 y/o. The beach was packed. Perhaps I should have been closer, however, my daughter wasn't in the water. I don't have any animosity towards the lifeguards. They do a tremendous job in often difficult circumstances. I accepted responsibility. My husband was at the shop across the road getting ice creams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We were on the Oasis last Jan. When a 4 yr old boy was revived after a near drowning. I witnessed the fellow passenger doing CPR and then the medical team taking over. This happened approx 30 to 60 mins after sail away if I remember correctly. It happened in the whirlpool ( not to be confused with hoot tub) which I believe are only on Oasis and Allure as previously stated. Needless to say this was very upsetting for everyone. I understand the child had ran away from his parents who didn't realize he was not in their sight for a period of time. The rest of the cruise their was always a cruise member at the whirlpool. I followed on cc for a period of time and he did survive but will be impaired the rest of his life most likely. So tragic! Prayers going out to the family and all those involved.

The water has always scared me with our kids (we're not big swimmers but both kids are in swimming lessons). We've purchased a life jacket for our 6.5 year old as she doesn't swim on her own yet. She's just learning to swim and with many people in the ship pools, and the unknown with waves at the beaches while in port, I'll just feel safer. She'll practice learning to swim at home. Our older one won't have a life jacket, but DH or I will always be with one child and one with the other. Just not worth the risk.

Unfortunately too many people think nothing will happen to their kids and if you say something to them, be prepared to be told you are a "worrywort". Yes, I heard that when my kids were growing up, but my feeling is in some circumstances you can never be too careful.

Also, unfortuntely, there are parents who think that lifeguards are babysitters. I can remember when my kids were growing up that parents would drop their kids off at the pool in the am, go to work and then pick them up at the end of the day. The community association tried to stop it, but it was a lot of work for them and the lifeguards got crap from the parents if they said anything to them.

Never assume anyone else is watching your child, unless you have specifically left them in their care. Cruise ship pools (non-kiddie ones) aren't designed for kids anyway. They're not really to swim in as they aren't very long, Most adults use them as a place to cool off or hang out in.

Edited by BND

Hey all! Looks like C&A listened to my e-mail forwarding them the pool/water safety video!!:cool: See her reply below, stating that she has passed the info along to the appropriate staff!! Maybe cruisers will start seeing the video on the pool screen in 2016!:cool: I know it will not eliminate the problem completely but will be successful even if it only saves one precious child from drowning!;)

RE: Feedback

Dear Sally:

Thank you for your e-mail.

We are very saddened for the incident that occurred on the Liberty of the Seas and we appreciate your interest in Royal Caribbean International. Thank you for taking the time to provide the article and video regarding how to prevent drowning. We are pleased to inform you that we have forwarded your comments to the appropriate content manager for internal review.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us again. Our Crown & Anchor Society representatives will be happy to assist you. For your convenience our contact information is provided below.

Sally, we look forward to welcoming you, our valued guest, onboard soon.

Sincerely,

Brittany Williams

Crown & Anchor Society

ADDITIONAL QUESTIONS? COMMENTS?

Call: 1-800-526-9723, 8 am to 11 pm EST, Monday-Friday, 9 am to 8 pm EST Saturday-Sunday

(Outside the United States or Canada: +1-541-285-9723)

Visit our Web site: http://www.royalcaribbean.com

E-mail us: crownandanchor@rccl.com

Write us: Crown & Anchor Society

P.O. Box 026053

Miami, FL 33102-6053