Wash cloths don't go in the toilet!

geri

Just got off 2 weeks on the STAR Princess. Everyone on our area of the ship had issues with dysfunctional toilets for the first 4 days do to someone putting ridiculous things in the toilet such as washcloths, chicken bones, apple cores and lemons. When the culprit was found the problems stopped. (No....it wasn't a child doing this!) Why someone would do this when I seriously doubt they'd do it in their own home is beyond me. I also doubt people who read cruise critic would do it!

Surprisingly, quite a few people bring their own TP because they don't like the TP on the ship, which also screws up the plumbing, and then they blame Princess for their stupidity.

True Above^^^^

It needs to be Marine Grade TP!

LuLu

I wasn't aware of the special tp, but would never take up valuable packing space by bringing my own. I can live without my preferred brand for quite some time😉

As for people not putting silly things down the toilet at home, my HOA newsletter is always reminding people of what should/shouldn't be put down the toilet or garbage disposal. Most of the units are owner occupied, so even ownership doesn't confer good sense.

I see the TP issue as one of people needing education--it isn't intentional damage, it is people not knowing any better.

Flushing "things" other than what the toilet is meant for is vandalism--intentional damage to the system. Those people should be charged for the problems they have caused and permanently banned from cruising the line.

Last week during our Caribbean Princess cruise, I noticed that the facial tissue container (under the bathroom sink) was empty. I asked our attendant to please fill the container and he said that Princess no longer provides facial tissue because of people putting them in the toilet. I said that was a stupid thing to do (flushing facial tissue) and he agreed to supply us with tissue both in the bathroom and in the main cabin area adding that he trusted us. I guess we looked trust worthy.

Long story, but if you are missing facial tissue there is a reason and it is not the attendant's fault. (BTW - - My wife and I both thought that our cabin attendant was the best we have had in several years. Extremely friendly and helpful.) Darn; I just remembered, I forgot to mention him in the Princess Survey that we got a day or two after getting home. I will have my wife give me a swift kick!

Just got off 2 weeks on the STAR Princess. Everyone on our area of the ship had issues with dysfunctional toilets for the first 4 days do to someone putting ridiculous things in the toilet such as washcloths, chicken bones, apple cores and lemons. When the culprit was found the problems stopped. (No....it wasn't a child doing this!) Why someone would do this when I seriously doubt they'd do it in their own home is beyond me. I also doubt people who read cruise critic would do it!

What is wrong with people? They were replacing quite a bit of pipe on the Caribbean Princess earlier this month. Washcloths were one of the things our room steward mentioned as being a big problem with clogged pipes.:mad:

I see the TP issue as one of people needing education--it isn't intentional damage' date=' it is people not knowing any better.

Flushing "things" other than what the toilet is meant for is vandalism--intentional damage to the system. Those people should be charged for the problems they have caused and permanently banned from cruising the line.[/quote']

I agree that there should be serious consequences for the passengers identified as the culprits of this vandalism. They cause their fellow passengers and crew huge problems with blockages and subsequent flooding of cabins.

Why anyone would want to do this with the intentionally and cause disruption is beyond me.

Last week during our Caribbean Princess cruise, I noticed that the facial tissue container (under the bathroom sink) was empty. I asked our attendant to please fill the container and he said that Princess no longer provides facial tissue because of people putting them in the toilet. I said that was a stupid thing to do (flushing facial tissue) and he agreed to supply us with tissue both in the bathroom and in the main cabin area adding that he trusted us. I guess we looked trust worthy.

I have seen a box of facial tissue in every bathroom this year, including two weeks ago.

I have seen a box of facial tissue in every bathroom this year, including two weeks ago.

Who knows? I was just quoting what we were told. Seems to be believable based on other comments in this thread. Maybe a Caribbean Princess thing since they have been burned recently?

Who knows? I was just quoting what we were told. Seems to be believable based on other comments in this thread. Maybe a Caribbean Princess thing since they have been burned recently?

I would think it's a steward thing. I have heard various implausible things from stewards over the years that directly contradicted the experience of my friends on the same ship with different stewards. (My favorite was, "We only provide ice if you ask for it.) :)

I have to say that we experienced the missing tissue box and empty dispenser in the bathroom scenario in our Island suite last month and in our Coral balcony in October!

Not sure what they are attempting to do with this.

I was not happy. After I mentioned it to Stewart there ended up being 4 boxes placed strategically throughout the stateroom. Have to have tissues. :cool:

Flushing "things" other than what the toilet is meant for is vandalism--intentional damage to the system.

Vandalism requires General intent. Merely flushing something in a toilet that causes damage isn't sufficient to prove intent to destroy or deface.

Were on the Regal in late Oct and we had tissues in the cabin! As to somebody intentionally putting stuff down the commodes, the penalty should be quite simply. A lifetime ban from all CCL owned ships.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Interesting thread. i along with everyone else laughed at the washcloth story ---- but I have to admit I have thought of bringing our own TP, we're partial to a certain brand here at home and I've never liked the kind provided on cruise ships. I have never actually done it, mostly because of packing issues, but I had no idea it could cause a plumbing problem. Lesson learned

I agree that there should be serious consequences for the passengers identified as the culprits of this vandalism. They cause their fellow passengers and crew huge problems with blockages and subsequent flooding of cabins.

Why anyone would want to do this with the intentionally and cause disruption is beyond me.

How do you prove intent?

Vandalism requires General intent. Merely flushing something in a toilet that causes damage isn't sufficient to prove intent to destroy or deface.

Only to a lawyer. Any "normal" person knows that you don't flush a wash cloth down the toilet. And the other items mentioned make it clear that this was not an issue where a wash cloth got really nasty and the room inhabitant couldn't figure out what to do with it.

Only to a lawyer. Any "normal" person knows that you don't flush a wash cloth down the toilet. And the other items mentioned make it clear that this was not an issue where a wash cloth got really nasty and the room inhabitant couldn't figure out what to do with it.

Princess won't make that judgment call.

Long story, but if you are missing facial tissue there is a reason and it is not the attendant's fault. (BTW - - My wife and I both thought that our cabin attendant was the best we have had in several years. Extremely friendly and helpful.) Darn; I just remembered, I forgot to mention him in the Princess Survey that we got a day or two after getting home. I will have my wife give me a swift kick!

Not sure the facial tissue story was true, we still had plenty on Diamond a month ago.

How do you prove intent?

If it is possible to identify the source cabin, it's only common sense that cotton cloth material is not to go down any toilet. Perhaps proof of stupidity is sufficient.

I would have a senior hotel manager give them "whatfor" and assess a cleaning fee (as in smokers caught) and advise them that any repeat will result in them being put ashore.