Do you think Princess and other lines have stopped trying?

nealstuber

When weather forces a port cancellation, seems like more frequently a sea day is substituted, rather trying to go to other ports.

Most recent example for us was three consecutivesea days at 10 knots after Belieze was cancelled on CB. Sailed right by Cozumel, Progresso, Cancun, could have even done Grand Cayman with a little effort.

Edited by nealstuber

I am guessing that it is more difficult than one thinks to arrange at the last minute to stop at a different port. Plus, there are thousands of people who may be upset if there are no "new shore excursions" created for the new port within hours.

So yes, I don't think they try.

There are other variables that go into porting... dock workers, pier fees, other ships to be at the port, etc...

It is way more complicated than, say, deciding to go to another restaurant than the originally scheduled restaurant. Many ports will not allow "surprise visits".

There might not be any room to dock at those other ports. When we were blown off course by Hurricane Joaquim, we thought we'd end up in Halifax NS but due to other ships already scheduled to call there, it was in the middle of the fall foliage cruises, we went to Saint John NB.

I agree, can't just pick an alternate port and sail in willy nilly.

With your similar posts on other threads I understand you are upset about your cruise but Princess has not given up trying. They do whats safe and practical. They have been doing it a long time and would not be where they are today without sound decisions.

Would guess that 40% of our cruises over the past 25 years have had an alternate itinerary. Just seems like sea day is now the default position and it was not always so. But when a alternate port was substituted, there would still be upset pax that something else was not done, so now they do nothing.

Edited by nealstuber

When weather forces a port cancellation, seems like more frequently a sea day is substituted, rather trying to go to other ports.

Most recent example for us was three consecutivesea days at 10 knots after Belieze was cancelled on CB. Sailed right by Cozumel, Progresso, Cancun, could have even done Grand Cayman with a little effort.

I think it's more a matter of logistics, crowded ports, and contracts than lack of effort. I'm sure the captains and the staff want nothing more than to get people safely to the places they want to go!

I can only think of a couple times in 15+ years of cruising when we got a "sub" port, and both of those were pretty minor. Once we couldn't get into Mahogany Bay but Coxen Hole was vacant so we got to dock there. The other time was when a HAL captain was working very hard to outrun a storm in Alaska. He was able to move a port up a day and then get us into Victoria for a full day instead of the service call. It was the very end of the season and many ships were already gone, so it probably was less complicated than it would have been at the peak of the Alaska season.

Would guess that 40% of our cruises over the past 25 years have had an alternate itinerary. Just seems like sea day is now the default position and it was not always so. But when a alternate port was substituted, there would still be upset pax that something else was not done, so now they do nothing.

I started cruising over 25 years ago. Wow - cruising has changed so much since then.

I remember there being only 2 ships in Cozumel when we were there. I remember being the only ship in the Grand Caymans. How often does this happen now a days?

I think cruising is an entirely different beast compared to 25 years ago. I so wish we could go back to how cruising was back then.

If not an exaggeration to prove your point, 40% is an extraordinary ratio of cruises with course changes. In 25 years of cruising (not counting earlier family cruises on mom and dad's dime) I recall only one major change: with conditions expected to preclude tendering at Grand Cayman, and the forecast for the passage from there to Cozumel even worse, Princess changed course and substituted Princess Cays and Nassau. But this was in 1998 on the 1600 pax (old) Regal Princess, not a ship double its size. Assuming today that any given port will have an open berth, and that the local authorities will allow 3300 more day visitors with essentially no warning, is unrealistic in this era of cruising. As is cruising solely for the port schedule. As is accusing Princess of "not trying" and "doing nothing" in the no-win situation of disruptive weather.

When the 11/29 cruise didn't leave till 11/30, we couldn't make Grand Cayman. We were able to substitute Belize, and Costa Maya became a shorter port day. And people complained about that.

The captain will do what he can to arrange alternate ports but it isn't all that easy. If it is a tender port, you still have the issue of whether or not it is safe to tender in addition to how many other ships are anchored and whether there are enough tenders to service another ship of 3000 passengers. If it is a docking port, they have to determine how many ships have reservations and whether there is docking space for another large ship.

Yes, the people on the island want the business, but the port may not be able to handle it.

We've had several cruises affected by weather with alternate ports. The cruise line, the captain, and the port authority does what they can to give the passengers a good cruise but they can't control the weather.

As to "the other" ship getting in at Bayport, my understanding is that there can only be one ship in at a time. The weather can change quickly. On our cruise, Captain Nick went at top speed (or nearly so) back to Galveston and anchored there so that as soon as he could get a break in the weather, we would be in position to enter the channel.

Noro--is everywhere right now, on land as well as on ships. We're talking about several ships, several lines. Do your part with frequent, thorough hand washing.

Despite OP's "do not cruise Princess" post, I'm not hearing anything that Princess has done wrong. I'm hearing someone upset because they are not getting what they want. Sorry, that's a risk of Houston and of this time of year.

If not an exaggeration to prove your point, 40% is an extraordinary ratio of cruises with course changes. In 25 years of cruising (not counting earlier family cruises on mom and dad's dime) I recall only one major change: with conditions expected to preclude tendering at Grand Cayman, and the forecast for the passage from there to Cozumel even worse, Princess changed course and substituted Princess Cays and Nassau. But this was in 1998 on the 1600 pax (old) Regal Princess, not a ship double its size. Assuming today that any given port will have an open berth, and that the local authorities will allow 3300 more day visitors with essentially no warning, is unrealistic in this era of cruising. As is cruising solely for the port schedule. As is accusing Princess of "not trying" and "doing nothing" in the no-win situation of disruptive weather.

Whereas I'd have said 40% was pretty close to my experience.

Now what they can do is limited by what's available, sometimes there is an alternate Port hat can accommodate, sometimes not.

Whereas I'd have said 40% was pretty close to my experience.

Now what they can do is limited by what's available, sometimes there is an alternate Port hat can accommodate, sometimes not.

You both seem to have terrible luck if you are missing 2 out of 5 of your ports. We don't have as many cruises on Princess as others (about 16 I think) and we have only missed one port, Charleston, SC on a Quebec to Fort Lauderdale cruise in 2014. As we tried to approach the dock the sun was out but the wind was blowing and the Captain announced that he and the pilot decided to abort the docking and that the weather would only get worse. Within hours it did - 55 mph winds and seas to match. No one questioned his decision.

Edited by capriccio

If you have something that throws a cruise off schedule so they know in advance then they can and do substitute something. For example last year on the cruise out of Houston, it left late enough due to fog that they knew that they could not make Roatan so they substituted Costa Maya.

When they show up at a port and cannot dock due to wind they usually don't because usually not much else that they could reach in the time available and it would have to be close enough that the weather is probably bad there as well.

The routes are set up with a lot of time and distance calculations and usually even a close by port would take hours to get to and would severely disrupt the remaining schedule. So rejigging and entire cruise or a major portion of it - yes. Replacement of a single port or two due to weather when they show up, usually not.

A few years ago you had considerably fewer ships in the Caribbean. These days ports are often full with scheduled ships so even if you can reach the port and insert it in the port may not have room.

Edited by RDC1

Interesting. we have over 50 cruises on 9 different lines, have only missed a port 2 times, in both cases, not substitute was made.

It's logistics. Everything is set up to stop at a port is done months before the ship actually stops at a port, not like driving down I95 and stopping wherever you like. It's just not possible.

Good point. They can't just willy-nilly pull into any old port they happen to be passing.

I will say the same about our 50 plus Princess cruises. Maybe twice? :(

80 cruise only missed 3 ports......cabo twice & private Island in Crib. All tender ports........

Hi Keith

We were on a cruise together ....Crown PrincessI think it was 2006 New York to San Jaun :)

You both seem to have terrible luck if you are missing 2 out of 5 of your ports. We don't have as many cruises on Princess as others (about 16 I think) and we have only missed one port, Charleston, SC on a Quebec to Fort Lauderdale cruise in 2014. As we tried to approach the dock the sun was out but the wind was blowing and the Captain announced that he and the pilot decided to abort the docking and that the weather would only get worse. Within hours it did - 55 mph winds and seas to match. No one questioned his decision.
We had a similar experience - but at COZUMEL. Attempted docking 3 times to no avail. The Captain announced at that time it was too late to get to another port.

Most recent example for us was three consecutive sea days at 10 knots after Belieze was cancelled on CB. Sailed right by Cozumel, Progresso, Cancun, could have even done Grand Cayman with a little effort.

The only time we have had a port substituted on a Western Caribbean out of the 9 times we've taken this itinerary on Princess was a reversal in order for Belize and Cozumel. The Captain was able to announce this on our first day at sea out of Texas, so some advance planning was needed. Unseasonable head winds prevented reaching our fist planned port in time.

Like the OP's cruise many passengers complained about their plans being "ruined" because of swapping the port order - but that's what happens when one books private tours (especially without checking for cancellation fees). We just rolled with the changes.

And of course, one should realize that Cancun is not a port that Princess visits :rolleyes:.

Except neither of us said we miss 40% of our Ports we said we miss Ports have itineraries changed on 40% of our cruises.

In the amount of cruises we have been fortunate not to have missed a port. But I am assuming if you miss a port they reimburse those fees for missing it. I would rather miss the port and stay safe. I do enjoy sea days. Gives me an extra day to take a nap or get more reading time or just enjoy some movies.

In the amount of cruises we have been fortunate not to have missed a port. But I am assuming if you miss a port they reimburse those fees for missing it. I would rather miss the port and stay safe. I do enjoy sea days. Gives me an extra day to take a nap or get more reading time or just enjoy some movies.

Yes they reimburse port fees, seems to be about $15 in round figures for most ports.

I'd take a missed port and sea day anytime verse what I do everyday. Enjoy it man, enjoy it.