First impressions live from the westerdamn

ChristyS

Well this is my first cruise and although I have read a lot on here I was not prepared. This is what I've learned or noticed

Embarkation was very smooth

Makeup packed in luggage should be well padded

Ordering gifts prior doesn't seem to make sense. I ordered champagne and strawberries for my self and DH as it is our honeymoon. Little did I know there would be some sent by someone else. Would have been nice to know or if ships services could have suggested another day

First night dinner at n pinnacle was excellent although the wine steward didn't give us the time of day after our first glass. Probably because I asked for one from the beverage package

First Galla night dinner was awful. Food was lukewarm meat was tough and no wine. Also I learned that sharing a table with strangers must be a learned art and one I don't have Very uncomfortable the entire evening

First port day was today but I didn't know how to get off ship and DH wasn't feeling well. Rough seas and what he felt was a bad sandwich a lido yesterday. I couldn't find my anxiety mess- which I rarely take and he might not have packed them. Thus I have remained ion my cabin. At least it is nice and roomy

Missed breakfast and couldn't figure out how to order room service or where to find a menu. Again the anxiety had control of me.

Wandered up to lido for quick bite and then back down. Figured out how to buy internet so here I am.

I seriously overpacked and may pack up some tomorrow to get a head start.

Well this is my first cruise and although I have read a lot on here I was not prepared. This is what I've learned or noticed

Ordering gifts prior doesn't seem to make sense. I ordered champagne and strawberries for my self and DH as it is our honeymoon. Little did I know there would be some sent by someone else. Would have been nice to know or if ships services could have suggested another day

First night dinner at n pinnacle was excellent although the wine steward didn't give us the time of day after our first glass. Probably because I asked for one from the beverage package wine service seems to be slow on Hal at times

First Galla night dinner was awful. Food was lukewarm meat was tough and no wine. Also I learned that sharing a table with strangers must be a learned art and one I don't have Very uncomfortable the entire eveningif you have open dining you can ask for a table for two. There may be a wait

First port day was today but I didn't know how to get off ship and DH wasn't feeling well. Rough seas and what he felt was a bad sandwich a lido yesterday. I couldn't find my anxiety mess- which I rarely take and he might not have packed them. Thus I have remained ion my cabin. At least it is nice and roomy they will announce where the gangway is when they dock. If you have to tender the info will be provided in the daily paper

Missed breakfast and couldn't figure out how to order room service or where to find a menu. Again the anxiety had control of me. the menu should be on the desk in a folder. Also your steward should leave a hang tag on your bed nightly. Fill it out and hang it on the door.

Wandered up to lido for quick bite and then back down. Figured out how to buy internet so here I am.

Hope the answers in red help.

Edited by cruz chic

First night dinner at n pinnacle was excellent although the wine steward didn't give us the time of day after our first glass. Probably because I asked for one from the beverage package

First Galla night dinner was awful. Food was lukewarm meat was tough and no wine. Also I learned that sharing a table with strangers must be a learned art and one I don't have Very uncomfortable the entire evening

First port day was today but I didn't know how to get off ship and DH wasn't feeling well. Rough seas and what he felt was a bad sandwich a lido yesterday. I couldn't find my anxiety mess- which I rarely take and he might not have packed them. Thus I have remained ion my cabin. At least it is nice and roomy

Missed breakfast and couldn't figure out how to order room service or where to find a menu. Again the anxiety had control of me.

thanks for sharing.

oh dear, sounds like somewhat of a rough start.

To order breakfast room service, there should be a card that your steward just leaves with you each night and you just check what you want and put it on the door that night.

There is also a room service menu in a book on your desk. You just call and for the items listed there you can order.

hope this helps you a bit.

Sorry you are having a rough start to your cruise.

Maybe the second set of strawberries came as a gift from someone you know -- the various departments don't keep track of all the gifts that are placed by various people.

There are always announcements made over the PA system and can only be heard in the hallways and some lounges as well as the Lido. Most ships have the gangway set up midships and you go down to Deck A.

In the main dining room, the steward who takes your dinner order also takes orders for glasses of wine and cocktails. The wine stewards in the dining room only take orders for bottles of wine which are not covered by the Signature Beverage Package.

Each night your cabin steward should place on your bed the Cabin Breakfast Card along with your nightly chocolates. You fill out the card and hang it on the outside of your cabin door before you retire for the night.

Hope things improve for you.

Sorry to hear you've had a few things off to a bad start.

Anytime you don't know how to do something, how to get off the ship, where to find a menu for room service,,,,,,,, look for your steward in the hallway. If you don't see your steward, ask any crew person you see how to get off the ship. All will be able to help you.

Hope your groom is feeling better and the rest of your cruise is wonderful.

I seem to recall all the telephones have a button to push that will connect you to room service. If not, call the front office anytime you want an extension number. They can provide that sort of information.

Sorry for the rough seas. We were on the Nieuw Amsterdam earlier in December and we also had rough seas. I have been reading the boards since our return and it seems that other sailings are also encountering rough seas. If your DH is feeling nauseous, you can go to the Front Desk / Customer Service and ask for sea sicknesses pills. They will provide you with individually wrapped pills free of charge.

Congratulations on your nuptials. Best of luck in San Juan. It is a beautiful city.

You can get complimentary seasick meds at the front desk. Your DH might want to start taking them. I usually take one every evening as they might make you sleepy. My guess is that it wasn't the sandwich, just the wave motion.

Edited by OVgirl

I remember the frustration of even trying to use the phone system! It's always easy when you know how... but until then it can be overwhelming and I sympathize.

In general, if you want something, anything that isn't offered, just ask politely and that's when magic can happen.

Congratulations and here's hoping for better times during the rest of your cruise. m--

I agree with you about table mates at dinner. We do not like to dine with strangers so we will always ask for a table for 2. We gave up eating in the MDR a long time ago and most meals are in the Lido or paid venue. We are not fans of having a two hour dinner.

First cruises can be hard in learning the ins and outs of things but you will get the hang of it. Our first cruise was to Alaska (the best) and we were hooked thereafter.

I always pack bonine and take it everyday. I start by taking it before I get on the airplane to get it in my system. I get seasick very easily and it is not fun!

Hope you enjoy the remainder of your cruise!

Go to the Piano Bar on Deck 2 if you want to have some fun.

Say hi to Jimmy Maddox, the Piano Man.

He gets there at about 8:45. Most nights it's standing room only!

He is great!

Always wonderful if he is part of the on board entertainment.

Go to the Piano Bar on Deck 2 if you want to have some fun.

Say hi to Jimmy Maddox, the Piano Man.

He gets there at about 8:45. Most nights it's standing room only!

Agree. Jimmy is the best piano man at sea, bar none.:D Hence the Piano Bar Nation.

Thanks so much everyone. Things have perked up a bit and we enjoyed a wonderful day in San Juan and another in st Thomas. Today we did a champagne tasting. Looking forward to New Year's Eve. Happy 2016

Glad things have perked up and enjoy New Years eve aboard.

Make sure that you keep a record of those things that you wished you had known so that you can share with other first-timers here on CC.

Thanks so much everyone. Things have perked up a bit and we enjoyed a wonderful day in San Juan and another in st Thomas. Today we did a champagne tasting. Looking forward to New Year's Eve. Happy 2016

Oh thanks good to hear!!! Have a great New Year's Eve celebration on board the beautiful, elegant Westerdam (as our favourite captain would say).

Have fun and Happy New Year :)