11 y.o. on Epic?

kerryincork

Thinking of taking 11 y.o. niece on the Epic next October. Can she stay on board in port in kids club?

She's a demon for computer games, if we don't link her card to one of our credit cards would she still be able to go on arcade games? We are concerned she would run up $100 's on her card playing the games (she has no concept of money)?

Thanks

I can't answer your first question, though you should know that an 11 yo would be able to sign themselves out of the kids club. I don't know how that works when the ship is in port and I'm curious to know the answer.

As for the arcade, I do know that she cannot play unless she can pay with her card. I have not been able to have my children put money on their card separate for their use without having it linked to my credit card. From what I understand, if they spend all their money my credit card is used to pay for the rest.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thinking of taking 11 y.o. niece on the Epic next October. Can she stay on board in port in kids club?

She's a demon for computer games, if we don't link her card to one of our credit cards would she still be able to go on arcade games? We are concerned she would run up $100 's on her card playing the games (she has no concept of money)?

Thanks

Why would you leave her on board to play video games. If that is what she wants to do maybe you should seriously consider leaving her at home.

Thanks

I can tell you that my son was 11 when we went on Epic and he did run up almost $150 in less than an hour. I would never link a card to the arcade there. It is a major rip off. I also would never leave my kid on board while in port as that is where they are exposed to new cultures and new places.

The kids clubs have very limited hours when the ship is in port since its usually break time for the staff and most people are off ship. Like I remember 8-11 and then not until the evening, look for daily's on line for the same sailings to get the hours.

Could you in theory leave her on ship for a few hours? yes. That is up to you or her parents. Most people will tell you its too risky what if you missed the ship? ect . A better solution is for one member of your party to stay on ship with her. That's the only time we have left our kids onboard was with their grandparents. Everyone's comfort level is personal.

To me the ships are the destinations and I enjoy being on ship when its in port because its so empty

If you link her card to yours yes she can run up way to much money way to fast. You can ask that her card has no charging privileges. Or you can have her set a budget. We give our kids $20 a day. You can see the charges on your TV and in the App (I think NCL's app allows for that)

Without Charging privileges she can not use the arcade. Since the games are run off your card.

I have a 11 YO video game obsessed son and he does fine with next to no arcade play. In the evenings he plays on his ipad before bed are during down time in our room but most of the time he is too busy doing other things to worry about his games. Cruising is a excellent time for kids to be "forced" to unplug and enjoy the world. Like ipads never ever leave ship. It makes him look up and see the world, play in the surf and the sand like little kids should.

Usually leaving kids in kids club in port costs extra $, no? It's not part of the free service.

Taking my 11 year old on the Gem in a few weeks -- she is used to cruising, but this will be the first time she's old enough to sign herself out...which means that she'll need to have her iPod and key on her...which means - hey - I can block her card from charging anything, right?

Edited by formerjar

Why would you leave her on board to play video games. If that is what she wants to do maybe you should seriously consider leaving her at home.

OP asked a couple questions.. never did I see where OP asked for opinions. If the OP wants to leave their niece to play videos games, thats the OP's business, certainly not yours. This site is full of the most pretentious, opinionated, rude people out of all the forums I visit.

My son was 11 on our Epic cruise. He is a complete video game addict, and he never set foot in the arcade. There was so much to do, he didn't even notice it. There are video games in the kids club, and he played those quite a bit.

Yes, you can give her sign in/out privileges at the club, but it isn't automatic. You have to give her written permission to do this, so no need to worry about her signing herself out unless you specifically gave her permission to do this when you registered her for the club.

RUDE! Why did you bother posting this? My opinion is that it is also the 11 year olds vacation and they should get to do what they like to do as well.

At 11 she'll be able to sign herself in and out, but I know on other cruise lines they don't allow the kids to do that when they were in port. I'm really not sure about NCL.

I would think that the way around the video game limitations would be to just put cash on her account. Then when it runs out it runs out? Again, I'm not sure how that would work either. I do know on our last cruise on Carnival the video game room was ridiculously expensive....

At 11 she'll be able to sign herself in and out, but I know on other cruise lines they don't allow the kids to do that when they were in port. I'm really not sure about NCL.

She cannot do that ever the entire cruise unless she was specifically given permission at initial club registration. It is not automatic.

In addition, once given permission, kids are not allowed to sign themselves out unless they have been there a minimum of 2 hours.

OP asked a couple questions.. never did I see where OP asked for opinions. If the OP wants to leave their niece to play videos games, thats the OP's business, certainly not yours. This site is full of the most pretentious, opinionated, rude people out of all the forums I visit.

Lol, this is at least the second time you have chastised someone for giving his/her opinion on a discussion board! Is this new to you? One is free to ask a question, but definitely should expect opinions as well as answers. If you don't like the nature of message boards? Google is your friend.

She cannot do that ever the entire cruise unless she was specifically given permission at initial club registration. It is not automatic.

Yes, I should have mentioned that. You have to "check the box" that they will be allowed to sign themselves in and out.....once you've done that you can rescind it later in the cruise if you need to.

Usually leaving kids in kids club in port costs extra $, no? It's not part of the free service.

Taking my 11 year old on the Gem in a few weeks -- she is used to cruising, but this will be the first time she's old enough to sign herself out...which means that she'll need to have her iPod and key on her...which means - hey - I can block her card from charging anything, right?

There are times kids club is included and other time you have to sign them up and pay for the service like during meal time.

You can have the kids cards have charging privileges or not. Remember if they cannot charge that includes getting sodas or snacks.

I agree most kids are so busy they don't notice the arcade or miss it.

LGPizza made a good point the kids have to stay 2 hours before they can sign themselves out and you have to give them permission to do that or not.

No offense bryan, but there is enough "board police" around here already. This is a discussion forum. People post things and are going to get opinions. Personally I agree with what that poster said, you are entitled to disagree.

Insulting other posters isn't necessary although some people around here really test one's online discipline. ;)

No offense bryan, but there is enough "board police" around here already. This is a discussion forum. People post things and are going to get opinions. Personally I agree with what that poster said, you are entitled to disagree.

Insulting other posters isn't necessary although some people around here really test one's online discipline. ;)

+1

(I also agree with that poster.)

I'm sorry I believe in being nice and decent to each other. I also believe when someone asks a question, people that don't agree with certain parts of it shouldn't throw their 2 cents in, and be judgemental . I guess I was raised different than a lot of you folks. Ya know, like to respect each other.. But I suppose this is the world we live in, oh well!

I'm sorry I believe in being nice and decent to each other. I also believe when someone asks a question, people that don't agree with certain parts of it shouldn't throw their 2 cents in, and be judgemental . I guess I was raised different than a lot of you folks. Ya know, like to respect each other.. But I suppose this is the world we live in, oh well!

The statement in red is actually funny since you are the only person on this thread that called people pretentious, opinionated and rude. That doesn't sound like "respecting each other" and certainly does sound "judgmental" to me.

You are the one hurling insults at other posters - may need to rethink how you were raised... Lots of folks on these boards will give their own perspectives.

The statement in red is actually funny since you are the only person on this thread that called people pretentious, opinionated and rude. That doesn't sound like "respecting each other" and certainly does sound "judgmental" to me.

I give respect to those whom deserve it :D

Not insults, just observations. :D

And a lot of people have made the observation that there are better activities for children on a vacation besides video games (and I agree, even though ds12 and ds17 have been on both of our X boxes all day long).

And a lot of people have made the observation that there are better activities for children on a vacation besides video games (and I agree, even though ds12 and ds17 have been on both of our X boxes all day long).

Listen we can go back and forth all you'd like. I just think it's in poor taste to tell others what to do with their children. It's a very personal thing. That's all my point was thru out all this.