Still Go with the O

ano

I've been on many NCL, Royal and Carnival cruises, but was thinking of trying a different line like Oceania. Then I read all the reviews of those on this November and December voyages. Not too good. I'm not put off by the fact that a Noro outbreak occurred as much as I am to Oceania's response to it. From the sounds of it, they could have handled things much better. Pretty scary in my book, because if the ship and company can't handle something like this, you have to wonder how they would handle a more serious problem?

My TA raves about Viking Ocean cruises also, but then I read how they handled they problems and breakdowns. Again, they didn't handle things well.

Am I just overthinking things, or should I expect better when paying triple or quadruple what the mainstream lines charge?

Edited by ano
typo

I've been on many NCL, Royal and Carnival cruises, but was thinking of trying a different line link Oceania. Then I read all the reviews of those on this November and December voyages. Not too good. I'm not put off by the fact that a Noro outbreak occurred as much as I am to Oceania's response to it. From the sounds of it, they could have handled things much better. Pretty scary in my book, because if the ship and company can't handle something like this, you have to wonder how they would handle a more serious problem?

My TA raves about Viking Ocean cruises also, but then I read how they handled they problems and breakdowns. Again, they didn't handle things well.

Am I just overthinking things, or should I expect better when paying triple or quadruple what the mainstream lines charge?

It is a personal choice of course

It was very unusual of other sailings we experienced on Oceania ships

1 ship out of 5 seemed to have the problems

& it does sound like it was not very well handled ( I was not there)

They do seem to do better in major crisis situations EG volcano, fire aboard, earthquakes etc

I am sure if you search you can find the bad in any cruise line

Enjoy whatever cruise you choose

I've been on many NCL, Royal and Carnival cruises, but was thinking of trying a different line like Oceania. Then I read all the reviews of those on this November and December voyages. Not too good. I'm not put off by the fact that a Noro outbreak occurred as much as I am to Oceania's response to it. From the sounds of it, they could have handled things much better. Pretty scary in my book, because if the ship and company can't handle something like this, you have to wonder how they would handle a more serious problem?

WellI have been sailing for many decades... on many routes allover the world...and for the past 5 years been totally on Oceania....and have 4 more cruise booked for next years....... Never experienced what that one cruise eeperienced.....nothing even close., ever.....Infact the total opposite

First, the size...its 1/2 to 1/4 the size of the floating malls , no lines,no screaming kids. open seating, no fixed seating

Second : The quality of the fellow passenger,low key,well mannered and well traveled...night and day different group than on the mass market cattle boats No blaring rock bands..and gold chain and Buffet bunnies....

Third : Value... when you are aboard there is no nickel dime drink hustler, pay extra for this, ship pictures, art auctions.........I think you find ,as I did, that when you add it all up you will be paying very little more...maybe 10% than the mass market pocket-mines. No pay extra and sales pitches.

Fourth,: Design....you feel like your on a classy boutique hotel ...on a ship that feels like a ship...elegant like a private club...but without pretension .

Fifth:...The finest meals...and quality ...and Variety Lobster served no charge in every venue from the pool grill to all the other 5 Restaurants , every day... Excellent Seafood, French, Italian,Asian, Steak, Continental

Sixth : Smooth, service, low key international crew...polite and classy yet warm and friendly No formal dress all country club casual.

All in all, in 30 years I have found no line/ships to be anything close all things considered. The difference will blow you away.... The chances you will problems to the extent as some described are rare in my experience. No way would I even consider another line.....

WellI have been sailing for many decades... on many routes allover the world...and for the past 5 years been totally on Oceania....and have 4 more cruise booked for next years....... Never experienced what that one cruise eeperienced.....nothing even close., ever.....Infact the total opposite

First, the size...its 1/2 to 1/4 the size of the floating malls , no lines,no screaming kids. open seating, no fixed seating

Second : The quality of the fellow passenger,low key,well mannered and well traveled...night and day different group than on the mass market cattle boats No blaring rock bands..and gold chain and Buffet bunnies....

Third : Value... when you are aboard there is no nickel dime drink hustler, pay extra for this, ship pictures, art auctions.........I think you find ,as I did, that when you add it all up you will be paying very little more...maybe 10% than the mass market pocket-mines. No pay extra and sales pitches.

Fourth,: Design....you feel like your on a classy boutique hotel ...on a ship that feels like a ship...elegant like a private club...but without pretension .

Fifth:...The finest meals...and quality ...and Variety Lobster served no charge in every venue from the pool grill to all the other 5 Restaurants , every day... Excellent Seafood, French, Italian,Asian, Steak, Continental

Sixth : Smooth, service, low key international crew...polite and classy yet warm and friendly No formal dress all country club casual.

All in all, in 30 years I have found no line/ships to be anything close all things considered. The difference will blow you away.... The chances you will problems to the extent as some described are rare in my experience. No way would I even consider another line.....

Thanks a bunch. That is very reassuring. The post before by hypercafe says: "If I could go on a true luxury line for around the same money I would do it" but the truth is I personally am not looking for "luxury" but I AM looking for less crowds, less hairy chest contests, less photographers interrupting my dinner, and maybe better food choices. I'm not really sure I would characterize any of those things as "luxury" as much as I would call them "lack of aggravation." Unfortunately mainstream cruiselines have gone the way of squeezing more and more people on at loss-leader pricing, then constantly pestering them for more money back at every turn. If it wasn't for that, they actually wouldn't be half bad. I go on a cruise to go on vacation, not to be hounded to constantly buy more services.

Hopefully Oceania can address its problems so they don't happen again as I certainly would categorize these problems as "aggravations."

Edited by ano

I agree with LHT28.

We are leaving for our 20th (FREE :D !!!) cruise in a week and I am going without any reservations. Our prior 19 cruises with Oceania were as good as one can reasonably expect (not perfect, but close to it and overall better than any other line we tried - and we tried them all but Crystal). We have 4 more booked on Oceania in the next 2 years. I am not foolish enough to spend that kind of money if the experience described recently was the norm for Oceania (not saying it did not happen).

Of course, the proof is in the pudding - only you can tell for sure after sailing with them if the experience was worth the money for you or not.

Everything else is just "hearsay", good or bad - i.e. experience of others that may or may not describe your actual experience.

JMO

Edited by Paulchili

Thanks a bunch. That is very reassuring. The post before by hypercafe says: "If I could go on a true luxury line for around the same money I would do it" but the truth is I personally am not looking for "luxury" but I AM looking for less crowds, less hairy chest contests, less photographers interrupting my dinner, and maybe better food choices. I'm not really sure I would characterize any of those things as "luxury" as much as I would call them "lack of aggravation."

Hopefully Oceania can address its problems so they don't happen again as I certainly would categorize these problems as "aggravations."

Well in my experience on O I have not seen a hairy chest contest, belly flop or hairy leg ones either

there are no photographers or long lines to deal with

You can look at the sample menus on the website to see if they suit you

Oceania is very low key & might be too quiet for some

no loud pool music, no art auction (anymore)

very few children if any

Boring to some but we enjoy those aspects of the cruise

YMMV

Well in my experience on O I have not seen a hairy chest contest, belly flop or hairy leg ones either

there are no photographers or long lines to deal with

You can look at the sample menus on the website to see if they suit you

Oceania is very low key & might be too quiet for some

no loud pool music, no art auction (anymore)

very few children if any

Boring to some but we enjoy those aspects of the cruise

YMMV

I think for a first or second cruise those things might be fun, but they wear on you after that.

I think for a first or second cruise those things might be fun, but they wear on you after that.

Well I enjoy the quietness of the Oceania ships like I said it may not work for others

As Paulchilli said the only way you will know if O is for you is to try them

We have tried several of the other mass cruise lines and the last one we took on a large ship finished us. The photographers were a pain in the side, the nickel and diming was a nuisance and pushed up the price of the cruise considerably, the buffet was madness, the noise generated by the masses of people overbearing, and the children jumping into the adult pool and not being stopped was painful. We like Oceania because of the lack of photographers, silly contests, more civilized buffet (except when you get the occasional rude scooter riding passenger), exceptional cabin service, and better quality food (IMO). We are also trying river cruises to see parts of the world that you do not see on a sea going ship and also are doing some land tours to see more in depth countries that Oceania has introduced us to. Also, the land tours are priced in Canadian dollars, which at the moment makes a huge difference to us while our Canadian dollar keeps sinking the the US dollar. IF and when the Canadian dollar improves we will be back to Oceania cruises as they take us to places we would like to sample before we travel the country more intensely.

Try it and see if you like it. We have introduced several friends to the line and they now prefer it to the mass market lines. It is up to each individual how much they enjoy a cruise. My spouse and I go with the attitude that nothing is perfect 100% of the time (and to be honest 100% perfection is boring, no spice), and remember the good things and forget about the minor unpleasant things. Yes, we have been on a ship with NORO virus, but we remember the good things and not the NORO virus part. One needs to have a glass half full instead of half empty. A smile and a thank you go a long way to fixing problems, rather than endlessly complaining about something that does not seem fair. I admit my least favourite part of a cruise is disembarkation as it seems to be unpleasant wherever you disembark. I always forget about it until it is time to get off the ship, and then remember to shrug my shoulders and remind myself that the irritation will soon pass and what I will remember is the good times.

Well I enjoy the quietness of the Oceania ships like I said it may not work for others

As Paulchilli said the only way you will know if O is for you is to try them

I do not think you can use a few problem cruises to undo 10 or 12 years of wonderful sailings. We have never had anything but good to great times on Oceania and will not let a few problems stop us. If these things continue than we will re think but not now.

We are currently on the Riviera, and I can assure you that we were getting more and more worried as we read the reports coming from the TA crossing, and then the next cruise from Miami... and then the next one (just prior to our holiday cruise).

The first two of those seemed truly bad experiences, at least for some number of passengers (some who post on CC and apparently some who do not).

The third (just before our/the current cruise) seemed to be getting things under better control.

(Finally proper sanitation protocols between and during cruises? We obviously don't know what the factors were.)

However, this one - our first Oceania cruise, and one we've been eagerly anticipating for a long time - seems night and day different from those previously described.

Thus far, we have neither seen nor heard anything relating to noro.

No announcements about special precautions, and no notice of special precautions.

Obviously, we could be overlooking something(s), and we certainly can't speak for the others here.

But we've spoken with a few crew members (discreetly/delicately) about what had happened and whether there are any illness problems now.

They may not feel free to be totally open with us (no surprise), but each has acknowledged the problems before, and stated there is nothing similar going on now.

We are THOROUGHLY ENJOYING this cruise.

Is it perfect? No.

But we didn't expect "perfection", however nice it might be.

We have found the Riviera to be just about exactly what we were expecting, and we do plan to make more reservations (plural) when we have a chance to look at itineraries and dates.

We have a PH suite, in case that's relevant to you.

Our Butler (Xavier) is superb.

As for pricing, last year we couldn't get a reservation for this holiday cruise on Riviera, so we tried NCL in the Haven.

The Haven itself was extremely nice, and we had a lot more room than we have here now.

But... once we left the Haven, things were totally different, and far less pleasant.

And... the PH suite on Riviera is slightly *less* expensive than the Haven was last year for a similar cruise (number of nights, itinerary).

If things continue as they have thus far, we have found a new "home" for cruising :)

The PH suite makes terrific use of space.

We'd have to go to an Oceania suite to get similar space (and 2 bathrooms) as what we had in the Haven, and at that point, yes, the Riviera would be more expensive.

Hopefully, that noro outbreak has finally been handled properly, and - also hopefully - it will be a long time before there is another.

These "things" CAN happen anywhere. It's just a dreadful situation when it happens to "you".

I got noro (or something similar) at a hotel in Italy last spring, and no cruise ship was directly involved.

And I was *very* sick, and ended up in an Italian hospital.

Will I refuse to visit Milan (or Venice) again? Or refuse to stay in those same [5 star] hotels?

Absolutely not.

We'll definitely return to "all of the above".

"Life happens..."

But usually, what happens is pleasant or wonderful.

Note: We WILL complain when the situation warrants, no question there!

We are currently on the Riviera, and I can assure you that we were getting more and more worried as we read the reports coming from the TA crossing, and then the next cruise from Miami... and then the next one (just prior to our holiday cruise).

The first two of those seemed truly bad experiences, at least for some number of passengers (some who post on CC and apparently some who do not).

The third (just before our/the current cruise) seemed to be getting things under better control.

(Finally proper sanitation protocols between and during cruises? We obviously don't know what the factors were.)

However, this one - our first Oceania cruise, and one we've been eagerly anticipating for a long time - seems night and day different from those previously described.

Thus far, we have neither seen nor heard anything relating to noro.

No announcements about special precautions, and no notice of special precautions.

Obviously, we could be overlooking something(s), and we certainly can't speak for the others here.

But we've spoken with a few crew members (discreetly/delicately) about what had happened and whether there are any illness problems now.

They may not feel free to be totally open with us (no surprise), but each has acknowledged the problems before, and stated there is nothing similar going on now.

Is it perfect? No.

We have found the Riviera to be just about exactly what we were expecting, and we do plan to make more reservations (plural) when we have a chance to look at itineraries and dates.

We have a PH suite, in case that's relevant to you.

Our Butler (Xavier) is superb.

As for pricing, last year we couldn't get a reservation for this holiday cruise on Riviera, so we tried NCL in the Haven.

The Haven itself was extremely nice, and we had a lot more room than we have here now.

But... once we left the Haven, things were totally different, and far less pleasant.

And... the PH suite on Riviera is slightly *less* expensive than the Haven was last year for a similar cruise (number of nights, itinerary).

If things continue as they have thus far, we have found a new "home" for cruising :)

The PH suite makes terrific use of space.

We'd have to go to an Oceania suite to get similar space (and 2 bathrooms) as what we had in the Haven, and at that point, yes, the Riviera would be more expensive.

Hopefully, that noro outbreak has finally been handled properly, and - also hopefully - it will be a long time before there is another.

These "things" CAN happen anywhere. It's just a dreadful situation when it happens to "you".

I got noro (or something similar) at a hotel in Italy last spring, and no cruise ship was directly involved.

And I was *very* sick, and ended up in an Italian hospital.

Will I refuse to visit Milan (or Venice) again? Or refuse to stay in those same [5 star] hotels?

Absolutely not.

We'll definitely return to "all of the above".

"Life happens..."

But usually, what happens is pleasant or wonderful.

Note: We WILL complain when the situation warrants, no question there!

Good to hear that all is well. We will be on Riviera in Feb. and expect things to continue as you report. Thank you.

I do not think you can use a few problem cruises to undo 10 or 12 years of wonderful sailings. We have never had anything but good to great times on Oceania and will not let a few problems stop us. If these things continue than we will re think but not now.

I have only had 1 not so good cruise with O since 2004 & 1 that had e-coli on it ..not a fun cruise :eek:

I am sure there have been some cruises that were not perfect but life is not perfect either :D

It depends on the price. If I could go on a true luxury line for around the same money I would do it.

After reading your comment we compared an early April, 2016 Regatta 10-day Caribbean sailing with a late March, 2016 Silversea Silver Spirit 10-day sailing with similar itinerary. Compare what you get with a PH3 on the Regatta with what you get with a V1 on the Silver Spirit. Unless we are missing something they are very close. We came up with a quote of $10,397. for the PH3, which declined the air and took the credit and took the Prestige liquor package for two. With Silversea a V1 would be $4,550. per person (not sure if port charges are included on any of this) and a non-stop flight from JFK to MIA and return for $352. per person. That's $9,804. total. We can't remember how much the Internet was on Silversea, but it wasn't that much as we recall. We guess we must be missing something here, but it is food for thought...

I am heading to the Riviera my self in less than 2 weeks......and not the least bit worried... While sometimes things just do go wrong, I would rather they go wrong on a Oceania ship than say a Carnival or RCCL......

Some see the glass half full....Some see it half empty....

Me, well I am just a regular guy who is happy just to have a glass in the first place.........

Is it perfect? No.

We have found the Riviera to be just about exactly what we were expecting,

(highlighting mine).

I think this is a VERY important point that I cannot emphasize enough. It is absolutely essential to have the "proper" expectations lest one be disappointed. I felt that many Oceania first timers recently (not the Noro cruises) perhaps had unrealistically high expectations based on many prior raves about Oceania food, service, etc and were then disappointed (perhaps everything was OK but not as special as they imagined it would be).

I am glad that you are enjoying your cruise and that it is up to your expectations :)

PS I totally agree with your NCL Haven comments - had the same experience.

Edited by Paulchili

After reading your comment we compared an early April, 2016 Regatta 10-day Caribbean sailing with a late March, 2016 Silversea Silver Spirit 10-day sailing with similar itinerary. Compare what you get with a PH3 on the Regatta with what you get with a V1 on the Silver Spirit. Unless we are missing something they are very close. We came up with a quote of $10,397. for the PH3, which declined the air and took the credit and took the Prestige liquor package for two. With Silversea a V1 would be $4,550. per person (not sure if port charges are included on any of this) and a non-stop flight from JFK to MIA and return for $352. per person. That's $9,804. total. We can't remember how much the Internet was on Silversea, but it wasn't that much as we recall. We guess we must be missing something here, but it is food for thought...

What you may be missing is that not everyone drinks and thus does not need a prestige package.

Also, Carib cruises are much more competitive in price than other regions due to the competition in the area. Prices for other regions may not be as close.

I compared the West Africa cruises on Oceania and Silversea and there was quite a bit of difference in price (granted, they were only similar, not identical).

(highlighting mine).

I felt that many first timers perhaps had unrealistically high expectations based on many prior raves about Oceania food, service, etc and were then disappointed (perhaps everything was OK but not as special as they imagined it would be).

I agree Paul

I have read posts/reviews where people say the food was no better or worse than on other lines but this is where the QUALITY of the ingredients come into play

EG:

Yes some other lines offer chicken, salmon, steak as always available just like O does

the chicken we had was terrible on the other line, the salmon was grilled so dry & not edible & did not even bother to order the steak

2 out of 3 misses was enough to judge by

cheeses were nothing compared to the variety on O

Just my experiences

(highlighting mine).

I think this is a VERY important point that I cannot emphasize enough. It is absolutely essential to have the "proper" expectations lest one be disappointed. I felt that many Oceania first timers recently (not the Noro cruises) perhaps had unrealistically high expectations based on many prior raves about Oceania food, service, etc and were then disappointed (perhaps everything was OK but not as special as they imagined it would be).

I am glad that you are enjoying your cruise and that it is up to your expectations :)

PS I totally agree with your NCL Haven comments - had the same experience.

Certainly everyone has "expectations" for a cruise, but what ultimately matters is value, atmosphere, and the like and this is true in a mainstream cruise or a luxury cruise or a very high-end cruise. I've been on excellent cruises on NCL and on Carnival, and I suspect I will on Oceania also, even if those are very different cruises. We personally like to try different lines, and return to the ones we like best. We were a big fan of Royal 15 years ago, and they have very nice ships, but they have evolved and we would never go near one today. I don't give any cruise line my business, they have to earn it, otherwise there are a whole lot of cruiselines looking for my business. That isn't to say any cruise can't have some problems, but its the whole experience vs. the cost and hassles that matters to me.

Certainly everyone has "expectations" for a cruise, but what ultimately matters is value, atmosphere, and the like and this is true in a mainstream cruise or a luxury cruise or a very high-end cruise. I've been on excellent cruises on NCL and on Carnival, and I suspect I will on Oceania also, even if those are very different cruises. We personally like to try different lines, and return to the ones we like best. We were a big fan of Royal 15 years ago, and they have very nice ships, but they have evolved and we would never go near one today. I don't give any cruise line my business, they have to earn it, otherwise there are a whole lot of cruiselines looking for my business. That isn't to say any cruise can't have some problems, but its the whole experience vs. the cost and hassles that matters to me.

Well said. Couldn't agree more.

Sociologically and anthropologically speaking, what is a "buffet bunny"? Any relation to "chair hogs"?

Happy New Year!

Harry