Favorite port

take us away

When we sailed into Sitka I thought it was the most beautiful place I had ever seen. It was a beautiful sunny day with islands all around and eagles watching us from the treetops!

I enjoy all of the Alaska ports. The ports are small and you can go on an adventure or just walk around. It doesn't take much walking to find a secluded walking trail. The local people are friendly, speak English and many have interesting stories to tell. Just sitting on the ship and watching the boats and float planes go about their business is entertaining.

Oh my, this is a toughie - Meteora, Volos, Funchal, St. Petersburg, Kiel Canal (not a port but a beautiful sail), Istanbul, San Juan, Rome, Bilbao, Buenos Aires, Santiago, Fuerteventura ..... just too many places and too many memories.

Sailing out of Venice is wonderful as is San Juan and San Diego. But it's always fun to wave to the webcam in Port Everglades ;)

Edited by kazu

I have been very blessed to have travel the world. Started as a child and with my husband in gov't who travels around the world for his company it all comes back to Sorrento! Growing up there and being married there and always going back to home! That is my favorite place! Always and forever!

Many other ports but this hits my heart strings.

Denise:)

I will throw my vote in for Valletta, Malta. On the cruise I took that included that port, we sailed in in the dark and the captain turned the ship around in the harbor so we could see all of the lights. Then we sailed out at sunset, and it was just gorgeous. Oh, and good shopping, too. :)

Can't name just one. So far, though:

Santorini for the blue and white buildings up high on the hill and the beautiful little bay we anchored in.

Ephesus for that insanely awesome visit to the ruins and the terrace houses.

Shanghai for the cityscape.

Prince Christian Sund.

Venice. The Grand Canal.

I could go on............

We have done a lot of cruising and quite ecumenically. On a TA, followed by a Baltic itinerary, we found ourselves in Hamburg. I had been there once. On a freighter. Now we had three days between cruises and we explored this important city. I had never realized that Hamburg, too, is a city of canals. It was badly bombed in WWII but contains all kinds of interesting sights. And the public transportation is wonderful. For three days we took full advantage of it. We would take the Metro and buses randomly and end up in all kinds of interesting places, such as Hafencity.

Hafencity is said to be Germany's most ambitious redevelopment project. It is remolding a commercial harbor into a now town of architecturally intriguing buildings. It is the home of a big university, and is served by two Metro stops. Then, next door to these newbuilds are centuries-old warehouses that now contain restaurants and shops. Fascinating.

Our trip was on the eve of my 70th birthday. Well, we happened sail away on the night when Hamburg was celebrating its birthday. Our ship became a participant in that celebration. Instead of heading downriver, we did a victory lap around Hafencity and only then then headed toward the sea. The ship blared its horns. And all along our journey we heard steam organs playing ashore. Happy birthday to you, they played.

We will be on the Zaandam from Valparaiso to Buenos Aires next Christmas/New Year. This is the itinerary that at Cape Horn heads south and then does a sail-by for several days in Antarctica. Very excited.

In July we'll do the Rotterdam's Arctic TA from Rotterdam to Bergen, Shetland Islands, Iceland (overnight in Reykjavik, then a day-stop in Akureyri), two stops in Greenland and so on all the way to Boston.

We have been to Iceland/Greenland before. I found them fascinating. This is an extremely well-paced cruise with only two sea days at the most separating ports.

Barcelona is a city I felt robbed by the early all-aboard. We are going back on a land tour that spends 3 days/2 nights there.

Dubrovnik is a fun place to do with no tour.

From a river cruise (as well as visiting on land trips) -- Moscow. It helps that I have a smattering of Russian language.

My favorite port was St. Petersburg only because we were able to take an excursion to Moscow. That was amazing. We had a private tour of the Kremlin museum and the jewels, Faberge eggs, gold carriages, etc. of the czars was quite something to see. We also toured the KGB museum, Red Square, and had lunch at a hotel that served a tiny glass of water and as much vodka as we wanted. That was unique!

Other favorites include Pompeii, Nicaragua, Tunis, Monte Carlo.