Manhattan Strip Steak

Artemus

I see this is listed on the classics menu for every night. Just wondered your opinions. Is it pretty good or do you pass on it?

I've had it, not bad but a bit thin. Get it rare or med rare at most. It's definitely not a strip steak you would pay a lot for, lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Edited by Motorman23

I see this is listed on the classics menu for every night. Just wondered your opinions. Is it pretty good or do you pass on it?

I pass. I've tried it a few time and have about a 50% success rate in getting a reasonable steak.

I think they're trying to confuse us into thinking we're getting a New York Strip. They used to call it New York Steak. It will be chewy.

Speaking for someone that hates to see red anywhere on my steak, the only place to get a chance at a good steak is one of the specialty restaurants, and that's still a dice roll.

Edited by knittinggirl

It's rarely a decent steak. It's hard to describe, but unlike most steaks that have a nice texture, these are chewy and have a horrible texture. I've only had a decent one a couple of times a few years ago. We no longer order them. I'd much rather have the linguini on the classics menu as it's consistently good.

I ordered it for the first time last cruise. I ordered it rare and it came out med-rare. It wasn't the ribeye steak I get at our local chop house but it wasn't bad. I was actually surprised that I ate the whole thing. Most of the flavor probably came from the butter that they placed on top.

Edited by Beachammo

If you want a decent steak pay for the upgraded Chops steak. It's cheaper than going to Chops, but it's a much better steak than the free catchers mitt they offer in the MDR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did this 2X on our recent Grandeur cruise and was glad I did. I had a decent steak without all of the unnecessary extras on the Chops menu.

I ordered it for the first time last cruise. I ordered it rare and it came out med-rare. It wasn't the ribeye steak I get at our local chop house but it wasn't bad. I was actually surprised that I ate the whole thing. Most of the flavor probably came from the butter that they placed on top.

They offer steak two ways in the MDR, medium rare and medium well.

Speaking for someone that hates to see red anywhere on my steak

caution ...... this is not a person to seek steak recommendations from!!!!!

I usually ask for Medium, because I know they'll cook the steak burnt if you ask for Medium Well. You also get an older cut of steak, since they think you can't tell the difference. When we split steak in a restaurant, we ask for medium. There's usually something cooked enough for me on one of the thin edges. At least w/ pork, they HAVE to cook it!

Speaking of specialty dining, we've taken to it lately because it gets you out of the MDR roar.

It's a safe fall back when you cannot identify anything on the menu. After happy hour and a couple drinks..... Not too bad. [emoji15]

My safe fallback is the Angus Sliders. The quality of the "free" steak varies too much for me to consider it safe.

Haha, and thanks everyone. Some funny answers

So, you can pay an up charge in the main dining room for a Chops grade steak? If this is true, can you please tell the upgrade prices and which Chops items are available.

Haha, and thanks everyone. Some funny answers

So, you can pay an up charge in the main dining room for a Chops grade steak? If this is true, can you please tell the upgrade prices and which Chops items are available.

There is only one choice of upgrade steak, and the price varies a bit. Figure between $15 and $20.

The Manhattan steak we had in the MDR was thin and tough. It looked like a piece of shoe leather next to the filet we had at Chops. We are from Kansas, where we pride ourselves on great beef, and that steak at Chops was one of the best steaks I've had in my life. Several items at Chops were amazing. Well worth the additional cost.