Has anyone used Tauck's insurance for river cruises?

OnTheJourney

One big downside to getting insurance through the cruise line is that it won't include "supplier default" coverage. I have not reason to think that Tauck might go bust, but it has happened to other companies and people got caught out. OTOH, cruise line insurance usually isn't priced based on your age so it could be dramatically less expensive. Our TA has special policies through Allianz that aren't age based, but I suspect they just charge everybody the old geezer rate ;)

Host...yeah, really. LOL about the 'old geezer' rate from Allianz! I used to always go with Allianz for any trip we did, through our TA, and then once we crossed over into the next bracket, the price went through the roof. So for one of our last trips I went with the CSA Custom Luxe policy. Their price seemed very competitive and actually I had better coverage than with Allianz.

One thing to note regarding Tauck's river cruise insurance is that if you cancel your cruise prior to full payment only your deposit is refunded. The insurance you paid for when booking the cruise in nonrefundable.

Well....the actual cost of the insurance is never refundable to the best of my knowledge. Is that what you're saying? My concern is that the total cost of the trip, including air, is protected. I don't worry about "cancel for any reason" although that is certainly a nice 'peace of mind' feature.

Got2Cruise....yes...I used that 'insuremytrip' site last year when comparing quotes. It was really helpful. Thanks for mentioning it.

Edited by three4rd

Well....the actual cost of the insurance is never refundable to the best of my knowledge. Is that what you're saying? My concern is that the total cost of the trip, including air, is protected. I don't worry about "cancel for any reason" although that is certainly a nice 'peace of mind' feature.

Got2Cruise....yes...I used that 'insuremytrip' site last year when comparing quotes. It was really helpful. Thanks for mentioning it.

With the policies through our TA, if we cancel the cruise and don't make a claim we can reuse the policy on another trip later.

I'm using Tauck's insurance for my trip next September. But we had little choice, since some American underwriters have stopped writing policies for Canadians. Not sure why, but we were grateful that we had the option.

What trip are you going on in September? We are going from Monte Carlo to Paris

As 60 somethings we can always beat the one price fits all cruise line insurance. As an almost 90 something FIL bought the one price fits all cruise line policy. It's a matter of comparison . . . Insuremytrip.com and trip insurance store make it easy to shop.

As 60 somethings we can always beat the one price fits all cruise line insurance. As an almost 90 something FIL bought the one price fits all cruise line policy. It's a matter of comparison . . . Insuremytrip.com and trip insurance store make it easy to shop.

Yes, my Dad cruised until he passed away at ninety and he also had a preexisting condition. The cruise lines insurance were the only one who would take him. It is imperative to buy the insurance within ten days of booking if you have a preexisting condition.

Yes, my Dad cruised until he passed away at ninety and he also had a preexisting condition. The cruise lines insurance were the only one who would take him. It is imperative to buy the insurance within ten days of booking if you have a preexisting condition.

Yes, that was another good reason for us to choose the Tauck insurance. Sorry about your dad.