Confused about dining - Oasis of the Seas

These are probably silly questions given all the information out there. But I think that is what is confusing. Its hard to work out what is most current. I'm not sure what is now correct and what is not.

Am I understanding this correctly? Please let me know if any of this is not current. The main dining room is now divided into 3 separate restaurants - Grande, Silk and American Icon. I've read that American Icon is for My Time Dining only between 5:30 - 9.15 and that the other two have the more traditional early and late seatings. But then I've read that you rotate between 4 restaurants. I've tried googling menus and have come across 7 menus - one for each night. But then I've also found separate menus for American Icon and Silk. Can someone help describe how it actually works? We are interested in the more traditional dining where we have the same seating each night and the same waitstaff.

Yes, the MDR is now American Icon Grill, Grande and Silk on Oasis but without any meaning. All three levels do have the same regular MDR menu.

Only on the Quantum Class ships (Quantum and Anthem) you have four different dining rooms (American Icon Grill, Grande, Silk and Chic) with different menus. With Dynamic Dining you can chose each night which dining room you go and when. With Dynamic Dining Classic you have traditional seatings but you rotate with your wait staff. This is on Quantum Class only!

Dynamic Dining should have been on Oasis/Allure too and therefore they´ve already redecorated the three levels of the MDR. Then RCI skipped Dynamic Dining for all Oasis class ships (Harmony has a "regular" MDR no confusing names anymore).

steamboats

Ok, that makes sense. Thank you.

So we can still choose Classic dining on Oasis class ships? And would we be just assigned the same table somewhere over the 3 levels?

Correct, you can still choose traditional dining on Oasis class. However, traditional currently is on the top two decks. The lowest deck is being used by My Time.

Dynamic Dining should have been on Oasis/Allure too and therefore they´ve already redecorated the three levels of the MDR. Then RCI skipped Dynamic Dining for all Oasis class ships (Harmony has a "regular" MDR no confusing names anymore).

steamboats

While the spirit of this post was accurate and answered the OP's question, wouldn't it be more correct to say WAS ON and REMOVED instead of should have been and skipped? Does anyone remember how long they made a go at DD on Oasis after her last drydock? I'm only asking this to cement the history in my mind for future discussion. I'm thinking when I originally made my Oasis reservation in late 2014 it was to be DD, but then was switched sometime between fall 2014 and early 2015.

Edited by BillOh

While the spirit of this post was accurate and answered the OP's question, wouldn't it be more correct to say WAS ON and REMOVED instead of should have been and skipped? Does anyone remember how long they made a go at DD on Oasis after her last drydock? I'm only asking this to cement the history in my mind for future discussion. I'm thinking when I originally made my Oasis reservation in late 2014 it was to be DD, but then was switched sometime between fall 2014 and early 2015.

They never actually made a go of it to my knowledge, Bill. They did the changes in drydock and initially slated DD to start on Oasis in March 2015 and Allure in May 2015. Then in January 2015 Royal announced it would be delayed until late 2015 with "no target date for implemention." Then in July 2015 the announcement was made that it would not be coming. So it really was never on either ship. While the bookings/infrastructure may have been there, Dynamic Dining was never actually implemented on either Oasis or Allure. Even straight out of drydock, the plan was for a delayed implementation, a plan that just never came to fruition.

Edited by garnetpalmetto

Correct, you can still choose traditional dining on Oasis class. However, traditional currently is on the top two decks. The lowest deck is being used by My Time.

That is unusual. My Time Dining has always been on the third level, at least in my experience.

That is unusual. My Time Dining has always been on the third level, at least in my experience.

Traditional was deck 4 and 5 for my Freedom cruise last April. I prefer the main deck , but I guess this is a sign the mtd numbers are getting bigger, perhaps a majority?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Traditional was deck 4 and 5 for my Freedom cruise last April. I prefer the main deck , but I guess this is a sign the mtd numbers are getting bigger, perhaps a majority?

The math probably doesn't support that - if you have too many MTD slots you'd have bottlenecks in the dining room (with everyone showing up at a popular time slot like 7PM).

I suspect that the amount of MTD guests now supports having the largest deck in the dining room.

They never actually made a go of it to my knowledge, Bill. They did the changes in drydock and initially slated DD to start on Oasis in March 2015 and Allure in May 2015. Then in January 2015 Royal announced it would be delayed until late 2015 with "no target date for implemention." Then in July 2015 the announcement was made that it would not be coming. So it really was never on either ship. While the bookings/infrastructure may have been there, Dynamic Dining was never actually implemented on either Oasis or Allure. Even straight out of drydock, the plan was for a delayed implementation, a plan that just never came to fruition.

You're probably right, I suspected my memory was faulty on that. That was part of the reason I phrased that so politely. ;)

I suspect that the amount of MTD guests now supports having the largest deck in the dining room.

That is what I am thinking. Maybe I'll bring it up as one of the questions in the Q&A they do with the senior leadership in the Aquatheater. (that I have seen on Allure anyway)

Which would also track with the complaints I've been seeing/reading here from people about long lines/waits at MTD on Oasis and Allure now - that and I feel like I'm seeing more and more people who have the attitude that they want to dine alone or not have tablemates that aren't within their own party.

Hence the OP's confusion and thread:rolleyes:

They must have been reading cc:p

It certainly doesn't help that when you click the "Dining" page on Royal's homepage it takes you to a page about Dynamic Dining as opposed to this page on Dining Options

While the spirit of this post was accurate and answered the OP's question, wouldn't it be more correct to say WAS ON and REMOVED instead of should have been and skipped? Does anyone remember how long they made a go at DD on Oasis after her last drydock?

It never made it on the Oasis (except for the now odd MDR names). As far as I remember it was supposed to start mid March 2015 but has been skipped before it made it onto the ship.

(And if there is still some confusion in my wording blame it on me not being a native speaker - regarding English/American ;-))

steamboats

Edited by steamboats

That is what I am thinking. Maybe I'll bring it up as one of the questions in the Q&A they do with the senior leadership in the Aquatheater. (that I have seen on Allure anyway)

Captains corner was held (by the Captain only...no other officers) in the Comedy club on deck 4 on the Oasis 2 weeks ago. A much nicer setting IMO.

It never made it on the Oasis (except for the now odd MDR names). As far as I remember it was supposed to start mid March 2015 but has been skipped before it made it onto the ship.

(And if there is still some confusion in my wording blame it on me not being a native speaker - regarding English/American ;-))

steamboats

We got on Oasis in Rotterdam after Dry Dock with the new MDR decor and names and watched closely after we got off to see when the DD was starting and pretty sure they didn't start DD as planned.

Once QOS came out with all the DD issues [around Oasis TA post Dry Dock time back to FLL] I think it was dropped for Oasis Class!!

DD didn´t start until Nov 1st on the Quantum of the Seas (after the pre inaugural). The Oasis TA was mid October. They didn´t want to start it there as it was announced for Quantum. But by some spontaneous last minute decision they thought it´s a good idea to put it on the Oasis class ships too and redecorated the MDR on Oasis and Allure. It was announced for March 2015, then postponed to "later in 2015" and finally dumped. By then the Allure had her dry dock too and got the MDR redecorated. So now we got those confusing names for the three levels of the MDR with no meaning at all.:rolleyes:

steamboats

Possibly, but I am more inclined to think that more and more people are choosing MTD.

Hence RCI's idea for DD. With the intro of DD Classic and changing menus, there's less diff between that and MTD. RCI could call the bottom floor of the Allure MDR DD Classic and few newbies would notice.

I recently booked Oasis and requested late dining but it is booked up so I will have to settle for mtd. My cruise is five months out and I was surprised that late dining was not available. I did get reservations for 8:30 mtd every evening, though.