LAX to ship port timing

rcsharp121

We are taking a cruise out of LA and looking at flights. With that, does anyone have any experience on the time it takes to get to port from LAX? We are looking at a flight that arrives at 1:15 pm. The boat leaves at 4.

Thanks in advance!

We are taking a cruise out of LA and looking at flights. With that, does anyone have any experience on the time it takes to get to port from LAX? We are looking at a flight that arrives at 1:15 pm. The boat leaves at 4.

Thanks in advance!

We get a cab. Approx $60 up to 4 people and about 30-40 minutes.

Always best to go the day prior.

Its a ship........

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Thanks in advance!

Hopefully that works for you but even without any traffic delays it's about a 30 minute drive from LAX to the Port of LA in San Pedro.

Do you know if you'll clear US customs & immigration in Canada? For our most recent (2014) flight from Vancouver to LAX we cleared these formalities at YVR.

Is your flight non-stop or with a connection? Are you flying from Toronto (YYZ) airport?

At best, if you arrive on time at 1:15 it will be about 2:00 before you're ready to leave LAX and hope for no traffic delays. For me if everything went smoothly arriving at the ship between 2:30 & 3:00 for a 4:00 sailing would be too close for my comfort level. I don't care for such scenarios as a relaxing way to begin a journey.

Edited by Astro Flyer

When we fly out of Sacramento to LAX on the same day, we try and get either the first or second flight out in the morning. I'm the Queen of close calls and I wouldn't book that 1:15 pm arrival. What if your departing flight is late or there's an accident? That's calling too close for comfort.

Ok that's the timing I was thinking. We will play it much safer by taking the 8 am from TO which lands at 10:15 in LAX.

Your comments have helped! Thanks!!

That should be much more relaxing for you but still arriving the day of a cruise has it's risks but that's up to you and not me. ;)

Hope everything goes perfectly & have a great cruise! :)

Princess Flight Guidelines for Los Angeles:

LOS ANGELES

Embarking Passengers

For voyages departing from San Pedro at 4:00 pm, the latest flight arrival is 1:00 pm for international flights and 1:30 pm for domestic flights.

For voyages departing from San Pedro at 5:00 pm, the latest flight arrival is 2:00 pm for international flights and 2:30 pm for domestic flights.

So had the OP kept their 1:15 arrival from YYZ Princess would have rejected the entry of their flight information into the cruise personalizer, and would not monitor that flight's arrival time nor hold the gangway for them even if they were only a few minutes away from San Pedro. Nor would even independent travel insurance reimburse the expense of catching up to the ship at the next port.

Ok that's the timing I was thinking. We will play it much safer by taking the 8 am from TO which lands at 10:15 in LAX.

Good plan. Anything that lands at LAX after 10:30am on cruise day is way too late for us. The day before is always better, but, if the day of is the only option then would rather potentially be a little early than take a chance on being too late.

Edited by ar1950

We are defiantly going with the earlier flight. Would you guys suggest travel to the port by taxi, princess travel or an uber? We were thinking the princess travel to ensure the arrival, thoughts?

We have used Super Shuttle the last two years on cruises out of LA. Shared van, booked on-line, and paid in advance. No issues so far (knock on wood). If our flight would had shown up late, we would have definitely grabbed a cab (or maybe Uber) and wrote off the Super Shuttle fee.

Edited by ar1950

We are defiantly going with the earlier flight. Would you guys suggest travel to the port by taxi, princess travel or an uber? We were thinking the princess travel to ensure the arrival, thoughts?

Supershuttle/Primetime shuttle $17pp

Cab approx $60

We have done both. We like the cab so we get in the car and get there with no waiting sharing etc.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

I've been at LAX recently when it took an hour just to get to the airport exit from terminal 2. I would never plan on arriving at LAX after Noon. You never know what the 405 and 110 will be like. All it takes is one fender bender to bring traffic to a halt.

You're much better off taking the earlier flight. Arriving at 10:15, I bet you arrive at the port by Noon.

You can book a town car for $55 and enjoy the ride.:)

We live in Western Canada and things happen with weather and your flights can be delayed departing . One is also very tired by the time you arrive at LAX and it can take an hour to get our luggage and out to the curb. We have spent lots of dollars for a cruise and flights and spending money on a one night stay in LA is well worth it as you can board the ship early on departure day, it is like an extra day of Crusing. Consider it money well spent to arrive a day early, fly stress free and be rested to get on the ship.

I would also be very careful about the timing of departing flights. We were on the Ruby Princess recently - the ship was cleared by 7:20am on Friday, December 18th. We left the ship around 12:30pm - though we would have preferred a much earlier departure. Upon leaving the ship, we then had the CBP line to wait in. Ultimately left the port around 2pm.

We were told that there were two ships that docked the previous day - and they managed to clear 6600 passengers by 10:30am. Not sure what the hold up was on the 18th.

Many thanks to the fellow passenger who happened to be CBP - he put his uniform on and went to work to try to get us all out of there!

We always book a town car for $55 and they will meet you at baggage for $15 extra. They have always been prompt, clean vehicles and courteous drivers. It is a pleasant way to travel from the airport to the cruise terminal. We have always used ontime1.com.:):)

I would also be very careful about the timing of departing flights. We were on the Ruby Princess recently - the ship was cleared by 7:20am on Friday, December 18th. We left the ship around 12:30pm - though we would have preferred a much earlier departure. Upon leaving the ship, we then had the CBP line to wait in. Ultimately left the port around 2pm.

We were told that there were two ships that docked the previous day - and they managed to clear 6600 passengers by 10:30am. Not sure what the hold up was on the 18th.

Many thanks to the fellow passenger who happened to be CBP - he put his uniform on and went to work to try to get us all out of there!

The previous two sailings were closed-loop. By not preclearing the passengers through US CBP at Vancouver (like on an Alaska linehaul sailing), the *exceptionally large number* of guests who required I-94 attention slowed the process down considerably.

Princess, the Port and CBP need to work together to improve the queueing and release of passengers for clearance. Princess knows exactly which passengers require I-94s and further knows exactly what a correct and complete I-94 looks like. Don't clear the SeaPass for disembarkation until someone has verified it's correct and ready for processing. Then, when passengers are off the ship, split the queue along the building (at roughly the stairway) into a queue for US nationals and permanent residents vs Other. CBP still decides how to prioritize, but they can have a better picture of what needs to be accomplished.

The bonus round would be if Princess would assign disembarkation groups with an eye to immigration concerns. For example, you could make groups 1 and 2 US-only, group 3 is the non-US group. With the roughly 30 groups they're running these days, this would allow finer control on how many people were entering the respective queues.

The 18th was HIGHLY impacted by the Marco Polo Tours groups - I ended up missing a 2:50 pm flight despite using Uber from the port. Never in my wildest dreams would I have expected that *any* walk-off group we could have been assigned to would have resulted in that happening. I think I'm going to have to insist on an earlier group from here on out on any trip where we're flying home same day.

We were on that same flight leaving Toronto at 10:35 am. Customs in Toronto was backed up and we were waiting in line for over an hour and half and then off through security we got to the gate as boarding was beginning. We arrived 3 hours early to the airport. No stopping along the way. We had to wait on the plane for almost an hour waiting for others to go through Customs. We flew out the day before the cruise. Enjoy your cruise, we were on the Ruby just before dry dock!