Sick employees working Regal buffet

CineGraphic

Crew are required to report to the medical centre if they are ill. Medical treatment and medications are supplied free of charge. As someone else said, it does not affect their contracted pay. If they were off for a couple of days it would not make much difference to the tips they would receive. Would any of you reduce the tip you were going to give to either your cabin steward of your dining room steward because they were sick for a couple of days? I don't think so. :) I do not know if the amount of tips they receive from the tips pool is reduced for the proportion of days they are not working.

Edited by Aus Traveller

Crew are required to report to the medical centre if they are ill. Medical treatment and medications are supplied free of charge. As someone else said, it does not affect their contracted pay. If they were off for a couple of days it would not make much difference to the tips they would receive. Would any of you reduce the tip you were going to give to either your cabin steward of your dining room steward because they were sick for a couple of days? I don't think so. :) I do not know if the amount of tips they receive from the tips pool is reduced for the proportion of days they are not working.

There is a difference between those who are on a salary and those who depend on tips for the bulk of their income.

What I've been told is that pooled tips are doled out in relation to the time worked; don't really know if that would be reduced for illness or not. As to whether an individual guest would "reduce" the tips because a cabin steward got sick--no, I wouldn't think they would reduce the amount they gave BUT I would logically divide the amount between those who did the work (if my assigned steward was ill, someone else would take his place). Thus, the originally assigned steward would receive less. And, as noted, some servers do other duties on transition day; if that involves overtime hours, they are paid extra for those additional duties.

Given the threats to their jobs, it is amazing that 3 employees would take the risk of talking about being sick in a busy Horizon Court setting. In all my cruises on Princess, I can't ever recall overhearing any employee conversations with each other.

What you should have done is picked up the nearest phone and dialed 911 or 999 to report what you heard. Medical staff, likely accompanied by an officer, would have been there within minutes. The crewmembers' immediate supervisor won't do anything; likely he is already aware and just doesn't want to be shorthanded. Telling him what you heard will be as effective as telling us all here on Cruise Critic--if you are going to take the time out of your vacation to post here, better spent on actual follow up on board.

Well thought out. Thanks for providing great info.

Sick passengers,sick crew....... The best solution I have found is to keep a bottle of hand sanitizer in my pocket. Most germs enter your body from your own hands. Rubbing your eyes, scratching your nose, and touching your mouth. I have never observed princess food handlers without gloves. What kind of sickness where they talking about. Drinking to much. Sea sickness. I would not be concerned unless they where not wearing gloves or they have a runny nose or coughing. When I board I become an obsessive hand washer. I stopped getting sick on cruises.

I just wash my hands with hot water and soap - often. I also use a knuckle to press elevator buttons. I use the provided hand sanitizer frequently but do understand it won't stop noro.

Sent from my K00C using Tapatalk

I think the point was if an employee is sick, they Should be able to take off time without repercussion. Or losing pay.

I was going to ask How the washy-washy situation was, but when its the employees? yikes.

Its bad enough trying to avoid obviously sick Passengers sneezing, hacking & coughing. This happened to me on our last Alaska cruise. I swear half of Canada was on our ship and they were ALL Coughing.

(When we flew home on Sunday, guess who caught it from them?):mad:

When ships food servers do it?

Shouldn't their Supervisors be yanking them off duty, til their better?

Come on!

Edited by CalLuvsCrusingToo

I just wash my hands with hot water and soap - often. I also use a knuckle to press elevator buttons. I use the provided hand sanitizer frequently but do understand it won't stop noro.

Sent from my K00C using Tapatalk

I always ask someone else to press the button for us and there's hardly a time when we head out to eat that the elevator doesn't have a crowd of people all willing to press those nasty dirty buttons.

I think the point was if an employee is sick, they Should be able to take off time without repercussion. Or losing pay.

I was going to ask How the washy-washy situation was, but when its the employees? yikes.

Its bad enough trying to avoid obviously sick Passengers sneezing, hacking & coughing. This happened to me on our last Alaska cruise. I swear half of Canada was on our ship and they were ALL Coughing.

(When we flew home on Sunday, guess who caught it from them?):mad:

When ships food servers do it?

Shouldn't their Supervisors be yanking them off duty, til their better?

Come on!

Exactly. I'm positive they're only allowed a certain number of occurrences per contract otherwise - GOODBYE.

Dialing 911 to report someone talking about being sick is ridiculous. After they get finished laughing I'm sure they have the guys in hazmat suite running to the site to take care of the situation.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• 2 months later...

I used to work for Princess and without a doubt the worst cruise I've ever seen for sickness would be the Bejing to Bangkok cruise. Part of it is down to the extreme change in temperatures, you begin in Bejing with snow and freezing temperatures before ending up with steaming heat in Vietnam & Thailand.

I'd never been on so many tour buses with people coughing and sneezing all the time, thank god for the Ipod!!!

Usually if someone has Noro virus they are quarantined for 3 days and if they had another incident of vomiting or diarrhoea another day will be added until they've been clear for 3 days. One of my colleagues who was brand new to ships joined in Thailand and I'm guessing the local food and temperature changes, coupled with jet lag hit her pretty hard. Unfortunately it got worse as we were starting a repo cruise and had some rough weather so add in the fact that you've never been at sea before, you have norovirus, the poor girl then had to deal with sea sickness on top of that. In total I think she spent a week in insolation.

It's true that if show symptoms like Noro you are quarantined to your stateroom, same goes for the crew. With a passenger you are provided meals in your stateroom and are not suppose to violate that. If you get caught doing so, you are put off at the first available port.

We usually book minis with balconys anymore so being confined for a few days wouldn't be such a big deal. Better think about that eventuality though next time one books one of those claustrophobic inside staterooms where you can almost touch both walls with extended arms.

What you should have done is picked up the nearest phone and dialed 911 or 999 to report what you heard. Medical staff, likely accompanied by an officer, would have been there within minutes. The crewmembers' immediate supervisor won't do anything; likely he is already aware and just doesn't want to be shorthanded. Telling him what you heard will be as effective as telling us all here on Cruise Critic--if you are going to take the time out of your vacation to post here, better spent on actual follow up on board.

I do agree that they should not have been working. However, the 911 number is for a real emergency and the crew's actions could hardly have been called a real emergency. This would be an abuse of the 911 system and is a real problem for land based 911 systems.

DON

Think about this, if you were a passenger and had travelled thousands of miles to get to you cruise and were feeling a bit ill, not vomiting there and then but maybe with a cold, would you honestly fill in the form before boarding saying you were ill? It has never happened to me but I doubt if anyone would risk being denied boarding. Who would want to turn around and go home if they know that in a couple of days they would be fine. There are a lot more germs around than anyone knows about. Most of us have built up an immunity over the years.

Edited by caber

Think about this, if you were a passenger and had travelled thousands of miles to get to you cruise and were feeling a bit ill, not vomiting there and then but maybe with a cold, would you honestly fill in the form before boarding saying you were ill? It has never happened to me but I doubt if anyone would risk being denied boarding. Who would want to turn around and go home if they know that in a couple of days they would be fine. There are a lot more germs around than anyone knows about. Most of us have built up an immunity over the years.

Exactly !

The same applies to any visit to the sick bay to question symptoms.

My wife had already boarded the ship & had an upset stomach which she thought may have been some bad seafood from the buffet on the first day. She rested for a day & then felt fine but still went to the nurse just to check if anyone else had reported the same thing.

That was a mistake. They quarantined her to the cabin for another day for observation.

Moral of the story---NEVER tell anyone on the ship you're not feeling fine for any reason (unless you really are sick).

You can never tell what their reaction may be.

As a cruise ship nurse - not on princess but run by princess medical ops - I can comment. if a crew member had vomiting and/ or diarrhea they have to report immediately to the medical centre. If they fail to do so they face disciplinary action and even firing. They will be placed in isolation for 24 hours - 48 if they are food handlers If they report to the medical centre with respiratory symptoms and they have a fever they will be placed in isolation. The same applies to guests. The cruise lines take illness among crew and passengers very seriously and try very hard to limit spread

Terry

that is total BS. I know that for a fact it is only policy but not what really happens.