Help Choosing Legend Alaska Cabin

Holmes18

We are planning a cruise to Alaska for our 20th wedding anniversary in 2017. I have been given permission to go all out! We have cruised before but best room has only been ocean view stateroom. I am debating between a premium balcony or a vista suite on the carnival legend. Can anyone advise please? If we do the vista suite (back of boat, extra large balcony) will we still see wildlife or should we book along side of ship? We usually book in middle of ship to avoid too much movement due to sea sickness, would back of boat have a lot more movement? Any help would be great. Should I skip the suite and just do balcony to save money for excursions? HELP PLEASE!

We are planning a cruise to Alaska for our 20th wedding anniversary in 2017. I have been given permission to go all out! We have cruised before but best room has only been ocean view stateroom. I am debating between a premium balcony or a vista suite on the carnival legend. Can anyone advise please? If we do the vista suite (back of boat, extra large balcony) will we still see wildlife or should we book along side of ship? We usually book in middle of ship to avoid too much movement due to sea sickness, would back of boat have a lot more movement? Any help would be great. Should I skip the suite and just do balcony to save money for excursions? HELP PLEASE!

The best Vista Suites are 4228 or 4237. They are aft wraps, and have an over-hang that will protect you from the elements if necessary. You will however, feel movement more there. The alternate would be a premium balcony such as 6279 (my favourite), 7301 or 8237... lots of room, and an extra long and wide balcony. These 3 are classed as Aft, but are more like a mid-ship cabin :) I have had 6279 twice, and love the location (right at the aft elevators)...you will not hear any noise from the elevators themselves, and very little from passengers. You are 4 floors up from the Main Dining Room and 3 floors down from Lido (comes up right outside the buffet area).

Have a fantastic cruise no matter which cabin you choose, and Congrat's on 20 years !!

Yes, the back of the ship(or the front) will have more movement than in the center/mid ship.

We also book midship for that reason.

Why not just book a suite midship? That is what we would do. You do not have to have a "vista suite" to enjoy the "suite life".

If we were doing this ship we'd just book an Ocean Suite on deck 6 mid ship.

We had a deck 5 Vista Suite two years ago. Deck 5 wraps are not the same as the other aft wraps - they're only one room rather than multiple rooms like the others. However deck 5 was available and we booked for the balcony, not the cabin. We really didn't experience a lot of movement, but then we're not bothered by movement. For us the aft wrap was absolutely worth it - we had lots of views of whales (I always remember a FB post on John Heald's page complaining that the whales were never on her side of the shiip.:rolleyes:)

• 3 months later...
The best Vista Suites are 4228 or 4237. They are aft wraps, and have an over-hang that will protect you from the elements if necessary. You will however, feel movement more there. The alternate would be a premium balcony such as 6279 (my favourite), 7301 or 8237... lots of room, and an extra long and wide balcony. These 3 are classed as Aft, but are more like a mid-ship cabin :) I have had 6279 twice, and love the location (right at the aft elevators)...you will not hear any noise from the elevators themselves, and very little from passengers. You are 4 floors up from the Main Dining Room and 3 floors down from Lido (comes up right outside the buffet area).

Have a fantastic cruise no matter which cabin you choose, and Congrat's on 20 years !!

Well, when you have a kid traveling with you, Vista Suite 7298 is the BEST! :D

I don't know if this will help you any but an Alaskan cruise is so different than the Caribbean.

(Obviously) By that I mean that once you are in the inside passage the ship goes so slow and the water is protected, it is like you are in a lake. So only the first night and last night may have some movement.

I have been twice. The first time we stayed on our own balcony and loved just watching the scenery. The second time we were in a large group with a person in a wheelchair who cannot take the cold. So we hung out in the buffet restaurant most of the day we went up to the glacier in the warm interior. We went outside as we got to the glacier and it was very cold but quite an experience that I had missed the first time.

It will be an experience of a lifetime whatever cabin you choose. Carnival had a wonderful naturalist that helped spot wildlife and told you where you were and what you were coming up to on the glacier day. We heard her in the buffet but I am not sure we would have heard her had we been in our stateroom. We had been on NCL the first time and did not hear this in our stateroom.

Congratulations and have a great cruise!

Happy 2oth Anniversary!! Just my opinion, we booked a suite years ago and we were right over a life boat. The "suite life" was nice but did not care to look out over a lifeboat. Although most of your viewing will be out in the distance and not down towards the water. Just another consideration when booking.

Yes, the back of the ship(or the front) will have more movement than in the center/mid ship.

We also book midship for that reason.

Why not just book a suite midship? That is what we would do. You do not have to have a "vista suite" to enjoy the "suite life".

If we were doing this ship we'd just book an Ocean Suite on deck 6 mid ship.

While this is true, almost all of an Alaskan cruise is inside passage where you typically won't have rough waters.

The extended balconies are great for alaska, but those vista suites sure did tempt me for a while.

Luckily my bank account came to the rescue and I booked an extended balcony.

We have done two Alaskan cruises on Carnival and to be honest did not spend a lot of time in our room or balcony during the cruise. Just throwing it out there for others who are considering which rooms to take.

Edited by jimbo5544

Yep, that's the thing is it is all up to you and the way you like to cruise. Our cruise was the 8 day at the beginning of the season and we spent a day in Tracy Arm and a day in Glacier Bay. That factored into our decision to get the extended balcony.

We spent LOTS of time on the balcony, way more than we have on any caribbean cruise.

Yep, that's the thing is it is all up to you and the way you like to cruise. Our cruise was the 8 day at the beginning of the season and we spent a day in Tracy Arm and a day in Glacier Bay. That factored into our decision to get the extended balcony.

We spent LOTS of time on the balcony, way more than we have on any caribbean cruise.

You got it! ;) Options are great thing.

While this is true, almost all of an Alaskan cruise is inside passage where you typically won't have rough waters.

You are not accurate.

Unfortunately, with the round trip Seattle cruises, these have the roughest potential with 2 open sea days. I have seen multiple times - sick passengers, on this itinerary.

Edited by Budget Queen

As I state above, you have chosen the roughest sailing potential with round trip Seattle. You get the most movement on the ends of the ship, along with being high up.

Aft is not the place to be, with a wildlife priority. You are missing at least 50% of the viewing. For wildlife, you need to track from ahead, not trying to catch a view as you are getting farther away. Especially true with marine wildlife. If you want the most viewing potential (which is my priority) then you need to tract forward, then follow though as you pass.

With Carnival- frankly- I consider it "necessary" to add into the costs, the add on Tracy Arm tour. I have never seen the cruise ship make it past Sawyer Island- giving only a distant partial view of the South Sawyer glacier. the add on tour is grossly superior to the ship transit. Even with my multiple sailings of Tracy Arm, I still purchase this. Just a consideration to be aware of.

Of course- you may be considering one the the Glacier Bay sailings, which are a whole different story. :)

You are not accurate.

Unfortunately, with the round trip Seattle cruises, these have the roughest potential with 2 open sea days. I have seen multiple times - sick passengers, on this itinerary.

Actually I was speaking from my experience, not sure about you. How would know what my experience was? Must have missed you at the meet and greet. Stop by and say hi next time.

Edited by jimbo5544

Have done 4228 Vista Suite on the Miracle in the Carribean and decided if we ever did Alaska, we would want that cabin to observe wildlife from every angle. We now have it booked for our 2017 Alaska cruise. We like it because it has a full ceiling and it often rains in Alaska. We plan on bringing binoculars and enjoying every minute of our cruise!

Have done 4228 Vista Suite on the Miracle in the Carribean and decided if we ever did Alaska, we would want that cabin to observe wildlife from every angle. We now have it booked for our 2017 Alaska cruise. We like it because it has a full ceiling and it often rains in Alaska. We plan on bringing binoculars and enjoying every minute of our cruise!

Best cruise sights we have seen were on an Alaskan cruise. Having a naturist on board dramatically adds to the experience.

An aft is the way to go in Alaska. Get one on a north bound ship. You will be in the sun and nice and warm. We were in short sleeve shirts while on our balcony in 2010.

We have had 80's and 30's and that was in the same cruise! Most of Carnival Alaskan cruises are round trip from Seattle and not one ways. Wish they still did one ways all the time.

We had an aft on the Legend for our 30rh anniversary trip last year and I highly recommend it. We spent a great deal of time on our balcony and due to the beautiful scenery it was almost impossible to stay away.

I second what Budget Queen said about Tracy Arm and the small boat excursion. It was THE highlight of the trip. You are surrounded by incredible scenery and see much more than you do if you stay on the Legend. (BTW Budget Queen is an expert on Alaska. I think she has been around 50 times, no kidding.)

Alaska is a great cruise and I know you will enjoy it!

Actually I was speaking from my experience, not sure about you. How would know what my experience was? Must have missed you at the meet and greet. Stop by and say hi next time.

"almost all of an Alaskan cruise is inside passage where you typically won't have rough waters"

And you made the statement- I disputed- quoted above- based on ONE cruise you have made to Alaska?? (based on your profile)??? How many times have you sailed Alaska- round trip Seattle?? I done over 20 trips, since you ask. Facts, just as I state, it is the roughest sailing potential, itinerary.

We have had 80's and 30's and that was in the same cruise! Most of Carnival Alaskan cruises are round trip from Seattle and not one ways. Wish they still did one ways all the time.

Where in the heck are you getting this information- a lot of ships are sailing one way, NCL, HAL, Princess, RCI and Celebrity- all have one way cruises.

What is in short supply is round trip Vancouver.