No tipping required on diamond/golden princess?

NSWP

Can any cruise experts out there work this one out:

Page 1 of the current Princess Cruises Brochure 'Cruising from Australia & Asia 2015-2017,

says..No tipping required, only applicable to Sun Princess, Dawn Princess, Sea Princess, Diamond Princess and Golden Princess cruises departing from and returning to Australia.

Now most of us are aware of the no tipping on Sun/Sea/Dawn, but it appears Diamond and Golden Princess have the same no tipping provision too. So if one books a cruise from the current catalogue, i.e. my wife/granddaughter on Diamond Princess, 23 Jan 2016, Syd-NZ-Syd, then that no tipping policy would surely apply, otherwise it would be misleading advertising by Princess.

What say ye?

I am going to take it up on Monday with Princess gurus at North Sydney, even send them a copy of the relevant brochure page. This is serious business folks.

Edited by NSWP

Since October (I think it was) last year. No tipping required on any Princess cruised while based here, so in effect while sailing to AND from Australia, also $Aus on board.

No tipping will apply to DW and Granddaughter.

Same applied on out cruise Oct-Nov on Diamond, no auto grats, no add ons to drink prices.

Of course they can tip waiter and Steward if they choose, and to be honest I'd have had trouble not tipping our waiters a bit extra they made our cruise so good.

When they announced that Golden was coming here, Princess announced that they would be changing to AUD on Golden and Diamond while they're based here, plus they would remove tipping, so it would be the same as Sun, Sea and Dawn.

Since October (I think it was) last year. No tipping required on any Princess cruised while based here, so in effect while sailing to AND from Australia, also $Aus on board.

No tipping will apply to DW and Granddaughter.

Same applied on out cruise Oct-Nov on Diamond, no auto grats, no add ons to drink prices.

Of course they can tip waiter and Steward if they choose, and to be honest I'd have had trouble not tipping our waiters a bit extra they made our cruise so good.

Agreed. There will be no tips on your wife and granddaughter's cruise that is from and return to Sydney.

The disclaimer 'Diamond Princess and Golden Princess cruises departing from and returning to Australia' means that on cruises where these ships are re-locating to Asia or elsewhere they will operate in US$ and the usual Princess tips apply.

When they announced that Golden was coming here, Princess announced that they would be changing to AUD on Golden and Diamond while they're based here, plus they would remove tipping, so it would be the same as Sun, Sea and Dawn.

However I think that only applies to those booking through AU or NZ Princess or TA's.

Folks from the US, for example, who booked through their local agents, would still be charged daily gratuities.

However I think that only applies to those booking through AU or NZ Princess or TA's.

Folks from the US, for example, who booked through their local agents, would still be charged daily gratuities.

Correct, but it will still be AUD onboard. [emoji4]

Yes, but I am sure that Les, and presumably his wife :), who live in Batemans Bay, would have booked in Australia.

It could have been through a TA :D, or it could have been direct with Princess.

Edited by Aus Traveller

Yes, but I am sure that Les, and presumably his wife :), who live in Batemans Bay, would have booked in Australia.

Other people read these threads too :rolleyes: :p :D

Whilst there is no tipping on the Golden in Aus it doesn't apply to the Spa apparently as we have found. Every session from the spa still has the gratuity automatically added on ;) nowhere else on the ship has it just the spa. We only realised when we got back from our last cruise and looked at the pile of receipts.

Whilst there is no tipping on the Golden in Aus it doesn't apply to the Spa apparently as we have found. Every session from the spa still has the gratuity automatically added on ;) nowhere else on the ship has it just the spa. We only realised when we got back from our last cruise and looked at the pile of receipts.

Wow.!!:)

Correct but the gratuity was only 5%?

Go figure.... :confused:

While on our 35 day cruise on the Sun, had my nails done, there was 5% added to the price, but the charges were $AU We are on the Golden in April to Hong Hong, all charges are in US$ plus a daily gratuity of about $13US. We also did a HAL cruise in December, Sydney Fiji Sydney on Noordam and all charges were in US$.plus daily gratuities. Barb.

Booked direct through Princess Australia via their website as I generally do, I booked the Diamond one in a couple of weeks for my wife and granddaughter direct with Princess and just booked the Emerald for us in November, same way.

Thanks for all the replies folks, I have not had much to do with the Australian based Princess ships in the past 5 years, most of my cruising has been overseas, hence my query re no tipping on Diamond in Australia. But what concerned me was there is nothing in the travel summary, download of cruise papers etc re no tipping required on Diamond in Australia. Only the little box on page 1 of the current brochure, which many would miss. Of course I have no doubt if service is good a few oxford scholars will be handed out to those who deserve it, as we do.

Edited by NSWP

The Americans on board the Australian based Princess ships will not be happy little Vegemites when they find out the Aussies do not have to tip, but then perhaps the Americans got their fares cheaper, who knows.

In addition, I guess we can add Emerald to that list between Nov 2016 and Apr 2017.

So can we assume Emerald Princess in her Australian season will also have the same 'no tipping policy' as per Sun/Sea/Dawn/Golden/Diamond? Mmm, Only a few days ago I booked Emerald, 28 Nov 2016, Syd to South Pacific/Fiji, round trip. I will have to monitor.

Do not be fooled, it is just in the fare.

Of course it is Mic, no way Princess are going to make up the service crew wages from their own coffers - 'user pay !!' And whilst the 15% gratuity on drinks is also gone on the relevant ships here, the barman/waiter will still get a drinks sale commission. Like on P&O UK, no added gratuity on drinks, but the waiters told me they get 10% commission on bar sales. Our wine waiters loved our table of 8 on Aurora/Oriana, all those £30 bottles of vino every night, muchas commission.

So can we assume Emerald Princess in her Australian season will also have the same 'no tipping policy' as per Sun/Sea/Dawn/Golden/Diamond? Mmm, Only a few days ago I booked Emerald, 28 Nov 2016, Syd to South Pacific/Fiji, round trip. I will have to monitor.

I believe so. I know that on her re-location from UK to Aust from late Sept, the Emerald Princess is operating in US$ and presumably will have auto-tips. When she arrives in Aust and does round trips from Australia, I believe she will work in AUD and with no auto-tips. :)