Crown Princess Questions

wernew2cruising

Hi All. We are looking at doing a fairly last minute cruise on the Crown out of LA. We have never been on this ship or done this itinerary.

If you are on deck 10 and you look down is the ambiance of staring into the water gone because you are looking at a balcony. We are use to sailing another line without the "stair step" balconies. I know you can see the water is it the same? lol

Also, doing the Mexican Riviera can you see whales from the ship or only when you do the excursions? Is there a side of the ship that would be better having a balcony?

Does the crown do the crabshack? If so, is it any good?

Thanks for the input.

Hi All. We are looking at doing a fairly last minute cruise on the Crown out of LA. We have never been on this ship or done this itinerary.

If you are on deck 10 and you look down is the ambiance of staring into the water gone because you are looking at a balcony. We are use to sailing another line without the "stair step" balconies. I know you can see the water is it the same? lol

Also, doing the Mexican Riviera can you see whales from the ship or only when you do the excursions? Is there a side of the ship that would be better having a balcony?

Thanks for the input.

Dolphin/Emerald deck minis look directly down into the water.

We have seen whales many times near Cabo and Puerto Vallarta.

Season is generally Nov-March

Crab Shack was pretty good.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

I would say that it is entirely possible to see whales along the California/Western Baja coast in the next few months.

My wife and I went whale watching out of Long Beach just last week and saw several migrating Greys. The docent on board our tour said that Blues were common in the summer.

Patience will be required, though. In all honesty, "possible" is the operative word in my first paragraph.

We've sailed the Crown several times & also several other Princess ships in the larger (9'x9' half covered) Caribe deck (10) balconies with the wedding cake type of terraced balconies. We enjoyed the view of the ocean & only when standing at the railing & looking down could we see the Dophin deck minisuites' balcony which didn't affect our enjoyment.

Our whale viewing has been mostly along the Baja coast between Cabo & LA but most would dive & did not resurface as the ship approached.

We enjoyed the Crab Shack last October on the Crown but there's a reason why they give you a bib to wear. I'm inexperienced at cracking crab legs so it was a lot of work for me despite my wife's guidance. I thought it was a fun experience & so did those at adjacent tables. It's a lot of food for the $20 fee & would consider doing it again on the Crown in a couple of months on our next cruise.

Edited by Astro Flyer

I was on the Crown this past week in a Caribe balcony cabin. We had a view of the cabin balcony below us. Not many people were on their balconies due to the heavy rains and rough seas.

We did have 2 sea days and went as far as 120 nautical miles south of San Diego. Either the whales were too cold, or it was too rainy, to be seen. The seas were also very choppy. The white caps made it difficult to see spouts.

I have seen whales from the ship near Cabo, La Paz, and Loreto. I was surprised to see them inside the gulf.

Be sure to seek out Adagio - All the way aft on deck 16 (Sun Deck). Nice lounge that is comfortable and underutilized. There is an outside deck area behind Adagio that is mostly unknown. There's an entrance from Sabatini's as well.

Be sure to seek out Adagio - All the way aft on deck 16 (Sun Deck). Nice lounge that is comfortable and underutilized. There is an outside deck area behind Adagio that is mostly unknown. There's an entrance from Sabatini's as well.

Adagio's is a great hidden gem that has been underutilized when we've gone there which makes it a quiet spot. Last October they used Adagio for our MTP cocktail party which was the best venue we've had for them. :)

Deck 10 balcony cabins are among the largest, 9'x9' on the ship. They are half covered and half uncovered and are sought after by seasoned Princess cruisers. I have been in these cabins many times. You have no problem viewing the sea. The balconies on deck 9 below are not in your sight line unless you stand at the railing and look straight down.

The Crab Shack is held on some evenings in a closed off section of Cafe Caribe. It is casual dining with a selection of buckets of seafood/shellfish. Ask to view the menu when on board. The current surcharge is $20/pp.

Thanks for the input.

See above

Caribe deck balconies are the best in my opinion...nothing ruined by the dolphin deck below. You will not even see them unless you are standing at your balcony looking down ....way too many other things to enjoy to do that!

Last month, we were just leaving Cabo and we saw a whale breach (all the way out of the water) in front of our balcony. He/she continued to give us a show by slapping its tail no less than 2 dozen times. We've been on great whale watching tours and never saw one completely out of the water such as this before. In November, we saw a pod of whales swimming alongside the ship near Los Angeles....very active year indeed, at least for us.

I enjoyed the crab shack on my recent Crown cruise. I feel the cost is reasonable for what you get. I was tempted to go again as this was a longer cruise.

I wish there were more opportunities like the Crab Shack on other lines.

Happy cruising

4boysnana

I was on the Crown this past week in a Caribe balcony cabin. We had a view of the cabin balcony below us. Not many people were on their balconies due to the heavy rains and rough seas.

We did have 2 sea days and went as far as 120 nautical miles south of San Diego. Either the whales were too cold, or it was too rainy, to be seen. The seas were also very choppy. The white caps made it difficult to see spouts.

I have seen whales from the ship near Cabo, La Paz, and Loreto. I was surprised to see them inside the gulf.

I was on this cruise also. I swear I saw one spout on the "Ensenada " day, but we were moving so much I lost the spot.

I prefer deck 10. True if you look straight down you are looking at the balcony below. The view is not obstructed of the ocean! You will have great views.

Due to El Nino we have been enjoying many whale sightings this year. Many have come close to shore. The warmer waters are bringing many surprises to our waters. There is a good chance you will spot whales, dolphins and maybe even a sea turtle right from your balcony. :D

Two years ago we watched an NCL ship round the cape in Cabo. Playing with her bow was a whale. That's was fun to watch.

That sounds so cool. I'd love to see something like this.

"Due to El Nino we have been enjoying many whale sightings this year. Many have come close to shore. The warmer waters are bringing many surprises to our waters. There is a good chance you will spot whales, dolphins and maybe even a sea turtle right from your balcony. "

I'd die. This is a HUGE bucket list item. Guess I need to bring my telephoto lens.

• 2 weeks later...