Help With My Son's Wish

If you can get a larger piece of parchment paper and trace or freehand draw the map it will look more authentic! You can take tea and use a pastry brush to paint the page to make it look old. Pop it in the oven on low for a few minutes and the edges should curl. It will look like a real pirate map!

Good luck. And God Bless.

Your roll call is your best resource. And I agree Labadee is the best place...no outside interference. Do not miss it being near Dragon's Breath, he will love the dragon!!! Always someone who is willing to help...we've done amazing things in the past with people on ours, like locating special things and mailing them to people. This community includes a mass of wonderful cruisers who would jump at the chance to be included...me too, wish I was cruising with you! When someone cruises, they cruise with friends...especially Cruise Critic members!

I am excited to hear the great outcome you will eventually share with us...God bless you and your pirate! Take a video of the X spot find!

Here's some great pirate chests you could order from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=kids+pirate+chest

Here's a video of the dragon breathing:

View My Video

Edited by BecciBoo

So happy your son will get his wish and I hope you have an enjoyable cruise.

Since your son is only 6, it seems doable. The map on line is the same provided by the ship and indicates different areas of the compound. you can place everything in one area, or around the place depending on your son's mobility.

Why not have a family member leave the ship a bit before your and your son and "plant" a few items, then met you back at the entrance. we recently made a treasure chest out of an athletic shoe box using brown wood design contact paper and black duct tape and a silver sharpie. ( tape for the "brackets" and the sharpie for the "screws".)

Ocean adventure has several pirate themed events so perhaps they have some items you can plant. As recommended, visit a party city type store for coins/silver beads, and other treasure chest goodies.

enjoy and please report back

M

Edited by cruisegirl1

I am on your cruise! If the staff cant help let me know and we will figure it out. We have an over the water cabana reserved on Nellies Beach (Labadee) and if you gave us something to hide in or near the cabana we would be happy to. However, the cabanas are not assigned until we get to them, and there are a few on both sides of the beach, so knowing where to put the X could be tricky. But, maybe we could decide on a place around the cabanas and I could bury it. I plan to get to the cabana early so could do this before you and your group get there. My daughter is autistic and LOVES pirate things (Jake and the Neverland Pirates) so I would have to hide anything you give me from her or she would claim it as her own ;) But there are five of us in our party and we could make it work.

Having said all that - definitely check with the staff first, because I have a feeling they will have a fantastic ideas for you. But if not, contact me! I will PM you my cabin number. Also, we are all going to be wearing gray tee shirts with a red/blue/yellow "Autism on the Seas" logo when we board - so if you see us, stop us and introduce yourself! We have priority boarding because my daughter will be using her wheelchair and my parents might need assistance. I assume you have priority boarding as well? So maybe you will see us there.

I am on your cruise! If the staff cant help let me know and we will figure it out. We have an over the water cabana reserved on Nellies Beach (Labadee) and if you gave us something to hide in or near the cabana we would be happy to. However, the cabanas are not assigned until we get to them, and there are a few on both sides of the beach, so knowing where to put the X could be tricky. But, maybe we could decide on a place around the cabanas and I could bury it. I plan to get to the cabana early so could do this before you and your group get there. My daughter is autistic and LOVES pirate things (Jake and the Neverland Pirates) so I would have to hide anything you give me from her or she would claim it as her own ;) But there are five of us in our party and we could make it work.

Having said all that - definitely check with the staff first, because I have a feeling they will have a fantastic ideas for you. But if not, contact me! I will PM you my cabin number. Also, we are all going to be wearing gray tee shirts with a red/blue/yellow "Autism on the Seas" logo when we board - so if you see us, stop us and introduce yourself! We have priority boarding because my daughter will be using her wheelchair and my parents might need assistance. I assume you have priority boarding as well? So maybe you will see us there.

It is wonderful you want to help! Unfortunately, private messaging is disabled on cruise critic. Maybe you two can work something out through your rollcall thread. Hope it all works out!:)

You've got lots of great ideas, but I'll add mine. I was just on Freedom last week, so hit all those same spots. Agreed that Labadee is probably the best spot. Two things I will also offer: #1. Since I was just at Labadee last Tues, I'd be happy to tell you anything specific I can if you have questions, just PM me, or I can give you my Atlanta phone number. #2. In Grand Cayman, I met a real nice lady who was an assistant on our dive trip. She had moved there 6 months ago (although she had been traveling there for years) but she had also started her own tour/cruise/snorkel service. She was just one person and I feel certain that she'd be willing to help you there. However, I do agree that Labadee is your best spot.

Also, if you need some help with taking the map of Labadee and customizing it (son's name, treasure spots, removing extraneous details), I'd be happy to do the graphics work for you and then return a PDF that you could print locally before you leave.

Edited by momo2000

I see that we can not PM each other anymore. Hummmm. Well, in the mean time I found this excursion in Falmouth. I THINK it is the same one offered by Royal Caribbean called Rio's Kayak Adventure. My father and I are thinking of taking it and I did a little research and believe that is the same one as this. Read the description and notice the part about the Pirate Treasure. I would ask someone at the shore excursion desk if it is the same one that RCI offers and if in fact they do the pirate treasure thing on the tour.http://www.viator.com/tours/Falmouth/Rois-Lagoon-Kayak-Tour-in-Falmouth/d4154-9228P1?SSAID=910649&aid=574871140

You guys have all been so helpful! I am positive we will make this work, even at the last minute. I will definitely update as soon as I have a second to stop and try to start planning something. Until Thursday, the trip is a secret from both Grant and his twin brother, which adds to my stress for the next couple of days. Once we have the Wish Reveal, hopefully things will calm down some.

It looks like you got some fantastic suggestions here! Wishing you all the best with your plan - I hope either through the cruise line or the kindness of your fellow passengers, everything will work out as planned! :)

Have a wonderful cruise and enjoy every minute with your family! I hope your son has a fabulous time! I look forward to reading an update (hopefully with pictures) following your trip!

http://www.chicaandjo.com/2010/06/07/treasure-hunt-clues/

This is the basic idea of what will be shooting to do, I think.

Looks really cool!

Now, if you haven't already, make reservations as soon as you're onboard for Chops for you and your husband! Even if it means early so AO can watch the now very excited kids! If you partake, get a glass or two, or a bottle!

With all respect, you're going to exhaust yourself for your little one (appropriately), but take a few for yourself and don't feel guilty! Totally unsolicited advice, but you're going to stress, and you're going to need to unwind!

My husband and I would still like to provide him the experience of a treasure hunt on the beach... It doesn't have to be anything elaborate. He's 6 and he's picturing a map that leads to a chest with junk in it. Our ports are Labadee, Jamaica, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel.

I would love any advice!

I see you have gotten some others who are willing to help you make this happen. The great thing about FOS is that the ship is large enough to provide something for everyone, but a decent size to guarantee that you will run into the same people quite a few times if you are looking for them. I see you are on the roll call for your cruise. If they have the Meet & Mingle on Day 2 (which is when they had ours)- you can probably meet with some of the folks who have offered to help and get a little plan together. If the itinerary is the same, Day 2 will be a cruising day so that will give you a little time to get things together. There is always activities staff at the meet & greet, so maybe someone there could help you get a few extra goodies to put in the Treasure Chest. The activity staff was fabulous when we were on Freedom last year.

I wish you all the best in planning and executing this amazing adventure. I have no doubt you will be able to execute this with the most amazing results.

We are leaving on Sunday for my son's Make a Wish trip on the FOS. My son's original wish was to have a treasure hunt on the beach. The cruise became part of the wish as the transportation that would best accommodate him. Due to some miscommunication, the treasure hunt was lost along the way.

My husband and I would still like to provide him the experience of a treasure hunt on the beach and are happy to pay an outside company to help us make it happen. Does anyone have any ideas of private excursion companies that might be willing to help us? It doesn't have to be anything elaborate. He's 6 and he's picturing a map that leads to a chest with junk in it. Our ports are Labadee, Jamaica, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel.

I would love any advice!

Glad to hear your son got his "Make A Wish!" My daughter is eligible for Make a Wish also :)

I would think that the best place for a treasure hunt would be Grand Cayman, maybe you could look into private excursions and see if they will be willing to help out.

Thank you all for your kindness! I did have a couple of questions that hopefully someone can answer.

1. Is there a tram or shuttle that runs throughout Labadee? Is that what the different colored lines on the map represent?

2. Grant walks and often runs, but does use a medical stroller for long distances. Are there sidewalks throughout?

3. Is there any place you can think of that is in the actual water that we could leave a clue for his dad to help him swim out to?

4. Here's a tech question, but is there a way to modify the map to simplify it some to make it easier for him to read?

I appreciate everyone's help so much!

Thank you all for your kindness! I did have a couple of questions that hopefully someone can answer.

1. Is there a tram or shuttle that runs throughout Labadee? Is that what the different colored lines on the map represent?

Yes. There is a "tram".

2. Grant walks and often runs, but does use a medical stroller for long distances. Are there sidewalks throughout?

Yes. There are walkways. The shortest distance will likely be through the sand, though.

3. Is there any place you can think of that is in the actual water that we could leave a clue for his dad to help him swim out to?

Possibly off Nellie's Beach. It can be busy, but the water is fairly calm. Seems like there's a rope?

4. Here's a tech question, but is there a way to modify the map to simplify it some to make it easier for him to read?

Probably, but you'd need something like Photoshop. May not be a reasonable option... Copy in black and white???

I appreciate everyone's help so much!

Some answers above in red.

Edited by markeb

Also, if you need some help with taking the map of Labadee and customizing it (son's name, treasure spots, removing extraneous details), I'd be happy to do the graphics work for you and then return a PDF that you could print locally before you leave.

I would take Momo's offer ....see what I mean about this community?:D One less thing for you to worry about. Planting the clues also, maybe someone who is always first on island from your roll call could go before you and plant the clues, X the map and meet you back at the entrance. They also have great special needs beach wheel chairs with fat sand tires they can give you. Ask for one. That way, you won't need to wag his stroller around.

n3wz78.jpg

Edited by BecciBoo