Carnival corp please read

Cruisegirl6

I really do not understand the big deal. You book a cruise, and are asked to tick time you expect to arrive at the port. If your time is full, you are booking close to the time the ship will be leaving, so pick another time. If you are able to prebook a cruise early, you get an added perk of being able to select your time. If you are booking late, you take what is left - just like rooms, you do not always get the one you want last minute.

I have been in ports when you arrive by plane, go direct to the port and line up and take 2 hours to get on board - not fun, puts a bit of a wet blanket on your cruise start, but once on board you forget that.

Other lines use a worse system, they send you an email, the day before - that is a pain, you have NO choice to arrive earlier, only your time or later.

Get to the port, drop luggage and go for a walk for an hour - some ports there is no where to walk!

I really do not understand the big deal. You book a cruise, and are asked to tick time you expect to arrive at the port. If your time is full, you are booking close to the time the ship will be leaving, so pick another time. If you are able to prebook a cruise early, you get an added perk of being able to select your time. If you are booking late, you take what is left - just like rooms, you do not always get the one you want last minute.

I have been in ports when you arrive by plane, go direct to the port and line up and take 2 hours to get on board - not fun, puts a bit of a wet blanket on your cruise start, but once on board you forget that.

Other lines use a worse system, they send you an email, the day before - that is a pain, you have NO choice to arrive earlier, only your time or later.

Get to the port, drop luggage and go for a walk for an hour - some ports there is no where to walk!

A great point is made here - Do the entitled few who wait until the last minute to book, also expect that their preferred cabin be held for them, or that the lowly person who has booked it be relocated so that the entitled cruiser have access to it? It's all in the same mindset - book when I want, have the cabin that I want, board when I want. The entire mindset is unreasonable. Processes are in place; follow them, or consider another line that will cater to your sense of entitlement.

We booked months in advance but recently chose late boarding. Living close to the terminal, we don't park there so we hitch a ride with a family member or friend. We take their schedule into consideration when planning. Also, my wife would prefer to board as close to the times our rooms will be ready as possible so we don't carry our luggage around.

A great point is made here - Do the entitled few who wait until the last minute to book, also expect that their preferred cabin be held for them, or that the lowly person who has booked it be relocated so that the entitled cruiser have access to it? It's all in the same mindset - book when I want, have the cabin that I want, board when I want. The entire mindset is unreasonable. Processes are in place; follow them, or consider another line that will cater to your sense of entitlement.

People that book last minute have an entitlement mindset? Huh? What? I can't quite relate the two things.

Isn't EVERYONE that booked the cruise, regardless of when, entitled to sit and wait in the terminal once it is open? Isn't everyone entitled to the lunch they've paid for?

Let me put your mind at ease. I didn't check to see if you've cruised since the new program went into place, so here's our experience.

We just sailed on our 25th milestone aboard the Triumph on December 28 from Galveston. The drop down box for check in times was wide open for us, and we selected the earlier time.

Being suspect, I called Carnival ready to give them a piece of my mind about being forced to arrive in the time slot, how we make a casual morning of breakfast, shower, load the car and then drive over to the terminal, etc.

Carnival has platinum and diamonds check in at their leisure still, that hasn't changed. The only thing is all guests must choose a time for their system.

The mess was once inside the entire group rushed the cue area after the wedding parties were taken aboard. We had to push our way to the front to board when platinum and diamond was called next. Not many friends were made doing that...

I'm confused. If you want to "make a casual morning of breakfast, shower, load the car and then drive over to the terminal, etc." why would you select the earlier time?

My understanding is that those who arrive early will not be be able proceed to checkin until their designated check in time.

I have not followed this thread, but I am concerned about the implications of this for my 1-24 cruise. We have been told in clear language that no matter what time we check-in, even if you you are platinum/diamond or FTTF, no one will board before 12:30PM.

So you will have all the priority boarders plus all the other cruisers with designated check-in times from 10AM until noon standing/sitting in the terminal. Then all the "gate crashers" being turned away, but surely milling around the sidewalk just outside the terminal, while the on-time check-in cruisers push their way into the terminal.

This cruise out of NOLA will be the first time for a larger ship there to see how this all works.

People that book last minute have an entitlement mindset? Huh? What? I can't quite relate the two things.

Isn't EVERYONE that booked the cruise, regardless of when, entitled to sit and wait in the terminal once it is open? Isn't everyone entitled to the lunch they've paid for?

No everyone is not entitled to sit and wait in the terminal because it can create chaos and unnecessary crowding and stress on the port employees. I know some people just do not want to accept that Carnival is making this one change to the check-in process. But consider the years they asked politely in emails to please not show up super early. Almost everyone I talked to and comments read, from this board at least, said to ignore it. Go when you want. It was a running joke that the emails were not to be taken seriously. And those with fttf had a serious attitude with it because "dammit I paid to get on when I want." Actually no you didn't but that's a whole other conversation.

Even emails about inspections that would delay boarding were ignored. Hell to be honest I even did it. Listening to everyone on here. I've since learned that not every piece of advice is good, and I haven't done it since.

That process didn't work. It may have been o.k. for you and others but I have seen port employees literally be harassed because a party couldn't board right when they wanted. I've seen people show up early and then sit and sit. Outside was a mess between folks trying to catch shuttles and taxis and those getting out of them. I've seen this because twice I participated in it. Carnival has decided that the process needed to be improved for them. For their staff. And ultimately for the passenger. So now you can't check in whenever you want. And by managing check in, boarding will be smoother.

You will not miss lunch, because the last check in time is before they break down lunch prior to muster drills. When I used to arrive after 2 pm, I still ate lunch. And I didn't have to scarf it down either.

People have come up with all sorts of scenarios to take issue with this. But I say figure it out. What to do if your flight lands a few hours before your check in. What to do if you have to check out of a hotel. I mean really. Get over it. and if you can't then maybe Carnival and cruising is not for you. It's just as simple as that. I don't like every change either but this is not worth what's now been months of belly aching. Unreal. Although most have no big issue with it. And why should they. It's better for everyone even if some can't get over that they may not be able to each lunch as soon as the buffet opens.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

No everyone is not entitled to sit and wait in the terminal because it can create chaos and unnecessary crowding and stress on the port employees. I know some people just do not want to accept that Carnival is making this one change to the check-in process. But consider the years they asked politely in emails to please not show up super early. Almost everyone I talked to and comments read, from this board at least, said to ignore it. Go when you want. It was a running joke that the emails were not to be taken seriously. And those with fttf had a serious attitude with it because "dammit I paid to get on when I want." Actually no you didn't but that's a whole other conversation.

Even emails about inspections that would delay boarding were ignored. Hell to be honest I even did it. Listening to everyone on here. I've since learned that not every piece of advice is good, and I haven't done it since.

That process didn't work. It may have been o.k. for you and others but I have seen port employees literally be harassed because a party couldn't board right when they wanted. I've seen people show up early and then sit and sit. Outside was a mess between folks trying to catch shuttles and taxis and those getting out of them. I've seen this because twice I participated in it. Carnival has decided that the process needed to be improved for them. For their staff. And ultimately for the passenger. So now you can't check in whenever you want. And by managing check in, boarding will be smoother.

You will not miss lunch, because the last check in time is before they break down lunch prior to muster drills. When I used to arrive after 2 pm, I still ate lunch. And I didn't have to scarf it down either.

People have come up with all sorts of scenarios to take issue with this. But I say figure it out. What to do if your flight lands a few hours before your check in. What to do if you have to check out of a hotel. I mean really. Get over it. and if you can't then maybe Carnival and cruising is not for you. It's just as simple as that. I don't like every change either but this is not worth what's now been months of belly aching. Unreal. Although most have no big issue with it. And why should they. It's better for everyone even if some can't get over that they may not be able to each lunch as soon as the buffet opens.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

It really depends on how it impacts me. If it's a negative impact Carnivals going to hear about it. If I pay the same for my cruise as someone else and Carnival feels it is okay to treat me like a second class citizen and not allow me into a terminal to sit and have access to a bathroom, you are right, I'll take my business elsewhere after that.

Remember, we are discussing CHECK IN, not boarding time. Forget about boarding time. Boarding starts when the ship is ready, that's a separate egg to fry.

Do you know the EASIEST solution to expedite check in of 2K to 4K people? Put more check in agents on duty. I have never seen a terminal where every check in counter had an agent working. Sometimes throwing more bodies at a situation *IS* the best resolution. I mean Carnival's been having guests embark on ships for 40+ years; this is not rocket surgery.

Edited by LMaxwell

My reference to the last minute booking was in response to the OP's unhappiness with having to arrive at whatever time slots remain in the staggered boarding process. My basic premise, whether it involves choice of cabin or boarding time under the staggered system goes back to the basic concept that if you book early, you have the greatest number of choices and options.

I made no inferences regarding anyone's right to show up at the terminal, and wait until their assigned or chosen time to actually board. Unfortunately, most terminals cant handle the full passenger load that might occur if everyone showed up at the start of the boarding window.

Also, I made no reference to anyone's opportunity to have lunch, once on-board. I honestly don't know what time lunch service ceases on embarkation day. If I boarded at 3, and had first dinner seating in Dining room, I don't know that lunch would be too important to me.

My gripe is with the "Me-First" - "this is MY cruise" attitude and behavior that seems to be somewhat prevalent, based on many threads and posts, along with behavior that I've observed when cruising. These attitudes and behaviors no doubt contribute greatly to the need for, and implementation of the new boarding processes.

It really depends on how it impacts me. If it's a negative impact Carnivals going to hear about it. If I pay the same for my cruise as someone else and Carnival feels it is okay to treat me like a second class citizen and not allow me into a terminal to sit and have access to a bathroom, you are right, I'll take my business elsewhere after that.

Remember, we are discussing CHECK IN, not boarding time. Forget about boarding time. Boarding starts when the ship is ready, that's a separate egg to fry.

Do you know the EASIEST solution to expedite check in of 2K to 4K people? Put more check in agents on duty. I have never seen a terminal where every check in counter had an agent working. Sometimes throwing more bodies at a situation *IS* the best resolution. I mean Carnival's been having guests embark on ships for 40+ years; this is not rocket surgery.

I don't remember any terminal where almost every station for check in wasn't being manned. Now I haven't cruised out of Miami for years. I kniw that's a big one. But Port Everglades and Port Canaveral is well staffed for general check in. There's usually only two for priority and yes I agree they could add more to that side. However I don't think that more employees aline will solve the problem. This new process may not do the trick either. But it's worth a try.

No its not rocket surgery, whatever that is, and what they have proposed is not some complicated plan. Just pick a time then abide by it. You can still drop off your luggage when you want. And there are numerous exceptions where people can still show up at any time. Adding more employees is fine. But I think passengers need to also be responsible for being a little unselfish and not bum rushing the terminal.

My reference to the last minute booking was in response to the OP's unhappiness with having to arrive at whatever time slots remain in the staggered boarding process. My basic premise, whether it involves choice of cabin or boarding time under the staggered system goes back to the basic concept that if you book early, you have the greatest number of choices and options.

I made no inferences regarding anyone's right to show up at the terminal, and wait until their assigned or chosen time to actually board. Unfortunately, most terminals cant handle the full passenger load that might occur if everyone showed up at the start of the boarding window.

Also, I made no reference to anyone's opportunity to have lunch, once on-board. I honestly don't know what time lunch service ceases on embarkation day. If I boarded at 3, and had first dinner seating in Dining room, I don't know that lunch would be too important to me.

My gripe is with the "Me-First" - "this is MY cruise" attitude and behavior that seems to be somewhat prevalent, based on many threads and posts, along with behavior that I've observed when cruising. These attitudes and behaviors no doubt contribute greatly to the need for, and implementation of the new boarding processes.

Okay. I appreciate your clarification and well reasoned response. I can certainly see your point of view and you make points. However I feel that, based on the number of available windows versus number of agents on duty, that Carnival could have looked to first increasing the number of staff at the terminal to facilitate check in if they were having issues at the terminal.

Like I said, right now it's not a problem because everyone is getting the 10:30AM time slots, but much like musical chairs, someone is going to get caught holding the bag and be pretty upset having to fry like an egg on the sidewalk at Miami. It just seems, to me, in my opinion, that there are other things Carnival could do to improve the process, it's just that those would cost them money.

It's interesting that the "complaint" about boarding times revolves around a need to "eat" a lunch that folks insist they "paid" for, or the fact that hotels kick you out and so the cruise line needs to accommodate a passenger when the check-out time is the hotel's issue not the cruise line's.

I wonder how many passengers eat the lunch "they paid for" on port days. When I stay on the ship on port days lunch is always available on the Lido deck. Guess I'm eating at the expense of other passengers who "paid" for that lunch and choose not to be there...but, heck, that's a choice they make.

And hotels are booked "because" people are cruising...hotels should be "thankful" that cruises exist and they may have to "adjust" their procedures if their guests intend on returning to said hotel the next time they cruise.

I just don't get the "I won't cruise Carnival" attitude over such "common sense" issues. Makes the "People are entitled" argument hold lots of water.

My understanding is that those who arrive early will not be be able proceed to checkin until their designated check in time.

Those who arrive before their check in time will not be allowed into the terminal building. They will remain outside the building until their check in window. Since there are no amenities other than the lunch wagon, people are being advised not to even come to the port until close to their check in time.

Boarding time is separate. Boarding will start approximately 12:30 pm on average and those accumulated in the terminal already checked in will board in their zones. Those checking in after boarding has begun may find themselves then proceeding directly on board.

Which other ones?

People keep claiming that other cruiselines enforce boarding times, but the only one they can name is Disney. In U.S. ports at least, the other cruiselines sometimes send recommended boarding times in an attempt to spread out the crowds a bit, but everyone knows they are not required boarding times.

It is very difficult to judge how popular the new system is based on online guest reports when most cruisers who are active online either have priority boarding or were among the first to learn about the system and book their times. The true test will be when experienced gold cruisers who book four months before their cruise are forced to select later times. If Carnival is limiting the number of slots per half hour and inviting everyone to select their time when they book, the earliest times will fill up, and this will not just affect truly last-minute bookings.

It's interesting that the "complaint" about boarding times revolves around a need to "eat" a lunch that folks insist they "paid" for, or the fact that hotels kick you out and so the cruise line needs to accommodate a passenger when the check-out time is the hotel's issue not the cruise line's.

I wonder how many passengers eat the lunch "they paid for" on port days. When I stay on the ship on port days lunch is always available on the Lido deck. Guess I'm eating at the expense of other passengers who "paid" for that lunch and choose not to be there...but, heck, that's a choice they make.

And hotels are booked "because" people are cruising...hotels should be "thankful" that cruises exist and they may have to "adjust" their procedures if their guests intend on returning to said hotel the next time they cruise.

I just don't get the "I won't cruise Carnival" attitude over such "common sense" issues. Makes the "People are entitled" argument hold lots of water.

Actually, whenever practical, we do return to the ship for lunch on port days because we did pay for that lunch. :)

For me, it's just one factor in weighing various vacations and various cruiselines. But, I think it's important for everyone who dislikes the system to make their voices heard. Carnival is going to do what they think will help their bottom line the most, so I do believe they will evaluate whether the majority of their guests find this to be a "common sense" plan or a major pain.

I was on Royal Carribbean out of Sydney when they sent me an email 2 days prior to departure telling me my boarding time was 2. I arrived jus t before 1, was able to drop my luggage only. because it is such a nice port, it never bothered me, I just went for a walk.

Although I did know before I arrived at the port, I was leaving a hotel, and stuck with suitcase - cannot go to far. went for a walk in the morning at then at 11 checked out of my room but, did not hand in my key - went up to the room, got my suitcase then taxi to pier.

Best early boarding was on Allure - had a suite, so got on 1st - had my grandkids, and we went up to the kids pool, got 5 chairs right away, and the kids had a blast - they were all alone for some time and could splash each other to their hearts content.

do not get the "mad rush to eat" are people starving??? - push shove let me at the food trough!!!! ugh.

Much nicer to sit in the sun in the quiet of the pool area - maybe go pick up something light and enjoy the quiet -it does not last!

I don't think I'll be a fan but I'm waiting until my first experience to pass judgement. I'm usually the ring leader of groups of no less than 10 and it's like herding cats sometimes to get everyone together.

What I find truly ironic is that Galveston was the first to roll this out. I've never had an issue with the embarkation at Galveston (or really any cruise for that matter). What has consistently been a pain point for me is the disembarkation process at Galveston. While only once has it taken me longer than 1 hour to embark on any cruise, it has always taken over an hour to disembark at Galveston. The worst was a two hour wait and the group behind us had a gal who was clearly hung over. We only had four parties left in front of us and she couldn't wait any longer - she started throwing up. (Warning for all of you partiers out of Galveston.)

Every survey after Galveston cruises, I state that was my worst experience of the entire cruise. I always suggest they should have an express lane for those who claim nothing for customs (which we don't). We have tried the passport lane and the birth certificate lane. I haven't gone the porter route out of stubbornness - I know it can be better as I've experienced out of Miami, PC and NY. But I may cave next time.

Does anyone know if a regulatory requirement prohibits such an idea as an express lane? I read that the Port of Galveston was going to try to make improvements. Does anyone know if they have?

I've never understood getting worked up over lunch either. I look on the embarkation day lunch as being provided as a courtesy, not because the cruise line has to do it. Really we haven't "paid" for any of the meals until dinner after we leave the pier.

The loudest complaints seem to be coming from people that haven't even experienced staggered boarding yet. The comments I've seen so far from those who have seem to be running much more in favor of it than against it.

Do you know the EASIEST solution to expedite check in of 2K to 4K people? Put more check in agents on duty. I have never seen a terminal where every check in counter had an agent working. Sometimes throwing more bodies at a situation *IS* the best resolution.

Wrongs. You can have all the agents in the world working. Don't matter when you run out of space to put people in the terminal. Some terminals just don't have the space to store 3,000-4,000 people.

You didn't pay for a lunch. You paid for a cruise and that cruise will start when Carnival says it will start. At the time you board you are entitled to anything that is available to you and if you board after lunch then you are not entitled to lunch.

Carnival or any cruise line would have to pay me to eat in the buffet on boarding! People have not unpacked their manners yet! They are I their checked luggage still - it is loud, kids running around, food rules have not been established yet - tongs oh, I am not to use my fingers! ? Holding chairs for folks that have not arrived by air yet, let alone on the dock,,

No thanks! I can find a lot of better places to be both on or off the ship, and much more relaxing!