Regal dining room dress code

5soccer9

We will be on the Regal next month and wanted to see about the dress for dinner in the dining room. We tend to dress up every night but friends going with us usually go on Carnival and like to wear shorts or jeans. I am sure you can't wear shorts but can you wear jeans? I know formal nights they do not allow jeans but what about the rest of the nights? I know in the summer on the Alaska cruise you could wear jeans but that could be because it was an Alaska cruise. Thanks

We will be on the Regal next month and wanted to see about the dress for dinner in the dining room. We tend to dress up every night but friends going with us usually go on Carnival and like to wear shorts or jeans. I am sure you can't wear shorts but can you wear jeans? I know formal nights they do not allow jeans but what about the rest of the nights? I know in the summer on the Alaska cruise you could wear jeans but that could be because it was an Alaska cruise. Thanks

A quick search found numerous threads on the subject, here is a recent locked thread.....

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2165199&highlight=dress

If you guys are comfortable as smart casual and your friends want to wear jeans, let them. (And they need to be "nice" ones). I wouldn't take jeans to the Caribbean, but that's me. As others have stated, the dress doesn't vary by ship.

When we were on Regal in November (Caribbean), I don't recall noticing jeans at all in the main DR - not to say a small number weren't wearing some (I wasn't in all three DR's at the same time after all). I'd say you will see more cotton chinos/dockers type pants than jeans.

Shorts can be expected to be turned back to room to change. Might be fine on embarkation on the basis that some folks might not have luggage yet in time to unpack, etc, but that's a bit of a fallacy except for a few early diners.

Edited by steelers36

The hostess definitely advises people in shorts to go change, and does the same with torn jeans. And the MaitreD is large enough to enforce it (Regal, Symphony dining room). In November probably half the guys had a coat on, with or without a tie, even on smart casual night.

The hostess definitely advises people in shorts to go change, and does the same with torn jeans. And the MaitreD is large enough to enforce it (Regal, Symphony dining room). In November probably half the guys had a coat on, with or without a tie, even on smart casual night.
The seams like a one off cruise. I haven't been on a Princess cruise with men wearing jackets on smart casual nights.

We dress up most nights. Tuxes we reserve for Cunard. On Princess we'll wear suites on formal nights & sport jackets(with/without ties)on other nights. Jeans(though not my favorite)are fine on smart casual nights. NO rips or crappy looking jeans. Shorts are fine for AM/PM but not for dinner at night. Buffet is the obvious exception.

I think it depends some on the Hostess or the MaitreD. On the Emerald back in October and on formal night saw a guy in jeans was asked by the hostess to go change. Did not want to but the MaitreD showed up and it was either change or go to the Buffet or IC. He and DW left in a huff and don't know it they came back. Was on the Regal last March and saw guys in jeans on formal night. So go figure.

I think it depends some on the Hostess or the MaitreD. On the Emerald back in October and on formal night saw a guy in jeans was asked by the hostess to go change. Did not want to but the MaitreD showed up and it was either change or go to the Buffet or IC. He and DW left in a huff and don't know it they came back. Was on the Regal last March and saw guys in jeans on formal night. So go figure.

It all depends on how neat the jeans look Some are quite nice while others are just plain jeans & those will get scrutinized every time.

Just off Regal - I wore denim 'trousers' one evening to dinner because I was tired of freezing :) - definitely no shorts - although oddly enough a young lady with very long legs was not denied admission when she arrived in hot pants!

The seams like a one off cruise. I haven't been on a Princess cruise with men wearing jackets on smart casual nights.

Agree. The last time I wore a jacket on smart casual night was on the Dawn Princess in 2003. Same with our Celebrity and RCCL Cruises.

Edited by davekathy