Evening Chic days on 14 night Eclipse

pbrady

There would be 3 on a 14 day cruise. Not sure it really would matter as Evening Chic means no shorts, no T shirts, and no swimming suits. Is that different from what you would wear to the MDR any other night. Presume you would wear what you would wear at home to a nice restaurant. Evening chic + no difference from any other night now.

There would be 3 on a 14 day cruise. Not sure it really would matter as Evening Chic means no shorts, no T shirts, and no swimming suits. Is that different from what you would wear to the MDR any other night. Presume you would wear what you would wear at home to a nice restaurant. Evening chic + no difference from any other night now.

Agree, essentially the same dress code. For me let's a golf shirt or a long sleeve sports shirt and slacks.

I have been on the 14 day many times, and yes it use to be 3 Formal nights, but according to the Celebrity web-site:

http://www.celebritycruises.com/frequently-asked-questions

"Evening Chic means that you can get glamorous and be sophisticated in your own way. If you would like to still wear a tuxedo or formal gown on Evening Chic nights, you absolutely should.

All cruises that are 7 nights or longer will feature two Evening Chic nights."

I was just wondering if, because of this, they shifted the days.

The definition of "Chic" is:

elegantly and stylishly fashionable.

synonyms: stylish, elegant, sophisticated, dressy, smart; fashionable, high-fashion, fashion-forward, in vogue, up-to-date, up-to-the-minute, contemporary, à la mode, chi-chi, au courant; dapper, dashing, trim; informaltrendy, with it, happening, snappy, snazzy, modish, styling/stylin', du jour, in, funky, natty, swish, fly, spiffy, kicky, tony

"a chic yellow belt"

There has been a lot of speculation as to what this will mean on X (a Maitre'd on the Eclipse just "rolled his eyes" when asked about the new policy.

We are sure there will be some who think that a dirty baseball cap and cut-off jeans will more then meet the spirit of policy. Others will still be in "black tie" on Chic nights. There is no way to satisfy everyone in the "me me" generation.

Hank

I am thinking the 2 Evening Chic nights are the 1st Monday & the last Friday, can someone please confirm or correct?

Thanks -

Someone currently on the Eclipse has confirmed that, yes, there are 2 Evening Chic nights and they are the night of the first sea day and the night of the 4th sea day.

He also wrote the days are at the discretion of the Captain.

(Which doesn't make sense to me - why would the Captain care? - but that's what he said.)

Someone currently on the Eclipse has confirmed that, yes, there are 2 Evening Chic nights and they are the night of the first sea day and the night of the 4th sea day.

(Which doesn't make sense to me - why would the Captain care? - but that's what he said.)

I am currently on the Eclipse. Correct, 2 Chic nights. On one the first sea day and the other on the next to last sea day (which is the fourth sea day for us).

The discretion is probably related to holidays ( like Valentine's Day, New Year's Eve, or anything special)

The big thing is that it is now 2 Chic nights instead of 3 formal nights.

I am currently on the Eclipse. Correct, 2 Chic nights. On one the first sea day and the other on the next to last sea day (which is the fourth sea day for us).

The discretion is probably related to holidays ( like Valentine's Day, New Year's Eve, or anything special)

The big thing is that it is now 2 Chic nights instead of 3 formal nights.

Thanks for posting. We just assumed the number of Chic evenings was going to be the same as the former formal evenings. I just read the guidelines on Celebrity's web site and sure enough...oh well that's what I get for assuming!

According to Celebrity's releases on Evening Chic there are no more than 2 evening chic nights on all cruises regardless of length.

Thanks for confirming the nights - I thought that was what they would be but didn't want to assume I was right. We, too, are planning to keep it dressy but which helps me schedule other events.

Thanks again!

We've done this cruise four years in a row and will again this spring. Folks seem to be dressier than on shorter cruises we take. Following that experience, I suspect that the two "evening chic" nights will be dressier. I'm certain at least some passengers will be in formal attire. My own plan is to wear cocktail attire, at least on the first "evening chic" night. If I feel overdressed, I'll cut back on the bling and so on for the second chic night.

• 2 weeks later...

Just off the Celebrity Eclipse Jan 10-24 Caribbean cruise. Evening Chic was a surprise to us as we planned on the usual three formal nights. Nothing much different. I complained to the Captain's Club hostess that they should still include "Formal Optional" in their description of Evening Chic as there were many ladies and gentlemen who dressed formal or very upscale casual with ladies in nice gowns and men in jackets and ties. Unlike the usual 3 nights of formal on a 14 night cruise there were only two. The second night at sea out of Miami (night 2) and the next to last night back to Miami (night 13) If you have gowns and tux bring it and ignore the evening chic recommendation and complain to the Captain's Club hostess that formal should still be included. Something about wearing formal that makes cruising special.

Edited by Sharpjack
spelling

We had formal night switched because of very rough seas on the front end of a TA a few years ago. He didn't want the ladies in their beautiful heels (his words) to fall. So he made it the next night.

Sailed on January 10 - 24. I knew about Evening Chic because I read about it on the Cruise Critic Boards. We dressed according to the new dress code and my DH did not bring a suit or sports jacket. Some of our table mates had not been on CC and did not receive notice of the dress code change and they brought dressier clothes. Saw some tuxedos and fancy long gowns being worn on Chic nights. Don't know if those people didn't know about the new dress code or if they just wanted to dress up. On 2 nights I saw a young woman (early 30's) who sat near us wear cut off jean shorts (cut short) into the dining room. She was NOT asked to leave - surprised at this lack of judgment on the woman's part and the lack of enforcement

on the cruise line's part.

Just off the Celebrity Eclipse Jan 10-24 Caribbean cruise. Evening Chic was a surprise to us as we planned on the usual three formal nights. Nothing much different. I complained to the Captain's Club hostess that they should still include "Formal Optional" in their description of Evening Chic as there were many ladies and gentlemen who dressed formal or very upscale casual with ladies in nice gowns and men in jackets and ties. Unlike the usual 3 nights of formal on a 14 night cruise there were only two. The second night at sea out of Miami (night 2) and the next to last night back to Miami (night 13) If you have gowns and tux bring it and ignore the evening chic recommendation and complain to the Captain's Club hostess that formal should still be included. Something about wearing formal that makes cruising special.

Welcome to CC but your complaining to the Captains Club hostess was in vain and a waste of your time and breath....so many more people cruising these days don't want to play dress up for no reason on vacation and the cruise lines are getting the message.....we used to always wear formal on formal night but in the big scheme of things it really doesn't make anyone other than people who normally don't dress formally feel special so why bother with all the extra packing in these days of minimal luggage so the majority of cruisers say good riddance formal night but if you had read Celebrities Web site on dress suggestions you would have seen it STILL says if you would like to dress formally then please do.... :D

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

My husband and I have never cruised before. We are excited to be on the Eclipse from 22nd May and have Select dining. Can someone help explain what this means for chic nights please? Should we dress up? We won't be in the MDR and my understanding of select dining is self serving buffet style. Not sure this is practical in long dress and tux. Any suggestions please?

Thank you

Bev & Matt

xxx

Select Dining Means that you can vary the time you dine in the MDR. You can book ahead. Check out the celebrity website where it gives a description of select dining. It's not about evenings at the buffet. Though of course you can do that too [emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Celebrity Select Dining

Celebrity Select Main Dining day by day reservations can be made online up to four days prior to sailing. Once onboard, reservations can be made on a daily basis for the same or next day only with the Maitre d'. All reservations are subject to availability, and are handled on a first come, first served basis. Guests with reservations are prioritized before walk-in guests, and will be accommodated at the first available table. Guests may come without a reservation, but may encounter a wait time during peak dining hours. Gratuities must be prepaid in order to participate in Select Dining. Only groups of 20 or less can be seated at one time.

Terrific move by Celebrity to cap at two the number of elegant chic nights! More than enough!

It's clear that some cruisers are still unaware of Celebrity's elimination of formal nights / formal wear requirements, so as the news continues to spread, the level of formal wear still on display should thankfully continue to decline.

Terrific move by Celebrity to cap at two the number of elegant chic nights! More than enough!

It's clear that some cruisers are still unaware of Celebrity's elimination of formal nights / formal wear requirements, so as the news continues to spread, the level of formal wear still on display should thankfully continue to decline.

We were notified by Email concerning the new suggested dress guidelines for the MDR. I wonder why Celebrity doesn't publish it in the Edocs as a reminder in case some didn't get the Email or read it on their website?

Celebrity Select Dining

Celebrity Select Main Dining day by day reservations can be made online up to four days prior to sailing. Once onboard, reservations can be made on a daily basis for the same or next day only with the Maitre d'. All reservations are subject to availability, and are handled on a first come, first served basis. Guests with reservations are prioritized before walk-in guests, and will be accommodated at the first available table. Guests may come without a reservation, but may encounter a wait time during peak dining hours. Gratuities must be prepaid in order to participate in Select Dining. Only groups of 20 or less can be seated at one time.

As long time fans of Select Dining (called by other names on different lines) we have never understood the idea of making daily reservations. We do Select because it allows us to dine when we please. If we want a daily reservation we would simply book fixed dining. And yes, if we show up without a reservation (we normally dine between 8 and 8:30 we sometimes must wait a few minutes. But since we prefer to share a large table the wait is normally minimal and we simply go to the dining room when we are ready for dinner. On many nights we will be having pre-dinner cocktails, get into a conversation with other cruisers, and not have to suddenly leave because we have a "reservation."

Hank