Possible snow diversion this week from NY

rsail203

Fascinating thread...and I sure hope you make it, Rich!

Here's a thought outside the box...if you've got good insurance, head up to Toronto.

Here's my thinking: a lot of the challenges during and in the immediate aftermath of the storm (Sunday) will be planes and crews being in the wrong places...and so many flights to Florida go through those affected airports. I think that's what's happened with your Sunday flight - conditions likely aren't going to be that bad in ISP, but they just can't get the plane and crew there...it's going to backlog US carriers for days.

The difference is, all of Air Canada's flights to Florida originate in Canada and will be unaffected by the storm. Sure, they've got some aircraft that serve NE US cities, but it's not on the scale of SW, JB, UA and others trying to restart the bulk of their systems on the run.

If you could get up to Toronto on Friday evening, there's several nonstop options to Florida airports...and most importantly, I expect all those planes will go. The trouble is, if you can't get up to Toronto tonight, you're unlikely to be able to fly out Saturday...even if the storm hasn't hit NYC yet Saturday morning, most flights are already cancelled as the airlines don't want their planes stuck in NYC, potentially for days.

On Saturday, Air Canada alone has 16 nonstop flights to Florida...there's more on Canada's #2 airline, Westjet...and at least five more flights Sunday morning that get in early enough to board Allure.

As for joining Allure in Jamaica - yes, check with RCCL. Falmouth is a couple hours by taxi from the airport in Montego Bay. But I'd also look soon into securing reservations for Monday or Tuesday...there's going to be a backlog of travellers trying to book a limited number of seats...even though JetBlue has nonstop flights from JFK, flying on Air Canada via Toronto might be easier to find a seat on a plane that actually departs on Monday...

Booking Air Canada flights last minute is the kiss of death.

This is coming from some one with E35K Status.

JUST DONT DO IT

Not going to Canada for too many reasons. I talked to the people at Stewart. So far 8 am flight is still on. They told me check again at about 10 o'clock. If the flight is still on, we'll book it and then we're going to drive up at about midnight. The airport is open 24 hours, so we'll park and wait until the morning. If the flight is cancelled we'll try to book Sunday am and stay in a motel Sat night. If that's cancelled, we'll come back to NY and fly to Jamaica from JFK monday morning. We talked to RCI about Jamaica and they told me to call the 'day of' number if I have to go there.

Rich

Booking Air Canada flights last minute is the kiss of death.

This is coming from some one with E35K Status.

JUST DONT DO IT

:confused::confused: Why do you say this?? I've flown A/C many times without any problems... I'd much rather fly A/C than Spirit or Frontier or some of the other discount airlines that people suggest. ;)

My brains a little frazzled at this point. We're taking a chance (because it hasn't been cancelled) by booking Westchester and not Stewart. Stewart's a little too far for our situation. If it gets cancelled, we'll try Sunday or Monday to Jamaica.

Thanks everybody for your help and good wishes. I'll keep you informed,

Rich

My brains a little frazzled at this point. We're taking a chance (because it hasn't been cancelled) by booking Westchester and not Stewart. Stewart's a little too far for our situation. If it gets cancelled, we'll try Sunday or Monday to Jamaica.

Thanks everybody for your help and good wishes. I'll keep you informed,

Rich

I can't wait to hear that you made it to the ship! Good luck on your travels

We'll be leaving Long Island in a couple of hours to beat the snow fall(I hope) and to spend the rest of the night at Weschester airport. I just called the airport and was told the plane is at the gate, so that's positive number 1. The flight is still scheduled on time. I hope it goes or otherwise we'll be stranded in Westchester during a blizzard. If so, we'll try to get a motel room and come back Sunday and fly Monday or Tuesday to Jamaica. So we're taking our last chance to make the cruise. I'll report when I can.

Rich

We'll be leaving Long Island in a couple of hours to beat the snow fall(I hope) and to spend the rest of the night at Weschester airport. I just called the airport and was told the plane is at the gate, so that's positive number 1. The flight is still scheduled on time. I hope it goes or otherwise we'll be stranded in Westchester during a blizzard. If so, we'll try to get a motel room and come back Sunday and fly Monday or Tuesday to Jamaica. So we're taking our last chance to make the cruise. I'll report when I can.

Rich

Oh gosh Rich! I haven't posted but I have been following along. I hope it works out for you! :) Enjoy your cruises!

What is skol? Is that an airport? The blizzard thing is humorous, but I didn't know what it meant?

Oh gosh Rich! I haven't posted but I have been following along. I hope it works out for you! :) Enjoy your cruises!

What is skol? Is that an airport? The blizzard thing is humorous, but I didn't know what it meant?

Really Patty? ;)

The joke: If this is how children learn to spell, then we hope that there is school tomorrow because this kid is a moron.

The flight out of Stewart left at 7:21 am. 10:51 is the arrival time. I wonder if he got on it.if he was in the car and knew that HPN had cancelled he could have driven up to Stewart. He's either on the flight or sleeping in a hotel room exhausted from being up all night.

Fascinating thread...and I sure hope you make it, Rich!

Here's a thought outside the box...if you've got good insurance, head up to Toronto.

Here's my thinking: a lot of the challenges during and in the immediate aftermath of the storm (Sunday) will be planes and crews being in the wrong places...and so many flights to Florida go through those affected airports. I think that's what's happened with your Sunday flight - conditions likely aren't going to be that bad in ISP, but they just can't get the plane and crew there...it's going to backlog US carriers for days.

The difference is, all of Air Canada's flights to Florida originate in Canada and will be unaffected by the storm. Sure, they've got some aircraft that serve NE US cities, but it's not on the scale of SW, JB, UA and others trying to restart the bulk of their systems on the run.

If you could get up to Toronto on Friday evening, there's several nonstop options to Florida airports...and most importantly, I expect all those planes will go. The trouble is, if you can't get up to Toronto tonight, you're unlikely to be able to fly out Saturday...even if the storm hasn't hit NYC yet Saturday morning, most flights are already cancelled as the airlines don't want their planes stuck in NYC, potentially for days.

On Saturday, Air Canada alone has 16 nonstop flights to Florida...there's more on Canada's #2 airline, Westjet...and at least five more flights Sunday morning that get in early enough to board Allure.

As for joining Allure in Jamaica - yes, check with RCCL. Falmouth is a couple hours by taxi from the airport in Montego Bay. But I'd also look soon into securing reservations for Monday or Tuesday...there's going to be a backlog of travellers trying to book a limited number of seats...even though JetBlue has nonstop flights from JFK, flying on Air Canada via Toronto might be easier to find a seat on a plane that actually departs on Monday...

I don't believe Mo'Bay to Falmouth is two hours. Closer to 20 /30 minutes.

The flight out of Stewart left at 7:21 am. 10:51 is the arrival time. I wonder if he got on it.if he was in the car and knew that HPN had cancelled he could have driven up to Stewart. He's either on the flight or sleeping in a hotel room exhausted from being up all night.

I misread the flight info.

I hope he was on the flight and is almost in Fort Lauderdale.

We left at midnight from Central Islip and got to Westchester at 1:30. Not too bad a ride. I got a text at 3am cancelling the flight. I had no plans to go to Stewart, so my choice was a local motel or home. I decided the blizzard wasn't too bad yet, so we drove home. It was pretty slow going, but we were in bed by 5am. I only slept 3 1/2 hours. It was a tough stressful ride, but we tried. If only Jet Blue had cancelled 3 hours earlier, we wouldn't have left the house.

Rich