Possible snow diversion this week from NY

rsail203

Perhaps another factor you haven't considered.....where is your plane coming from....air travel disruptions are going to be all over the nation...not looking promising. My husband knows if we were cruising this weekend our butts would have been on the road now... It took my son over two hours to go a normal 30 minute drive last night all over seven tenths of snow....

Thousands of flights already cancelled now. Watch the news. Good luck.

Just curious have you done this before? What is involved at the border? Where do you get off Amtrak in N.Y City? We are from Niagara area, and have thought to make this cruise port in the future.

Stay safe everyone meeting ships this week-end. Happy Sailing! :)

We will go,through customs when we enter Buffalo. We are,driving to Buffalo and then taking train from there. Leaving from London or Toronto by train was just too long plus via is so expensive. Amtrak was 240.00 US return for the two of us. Our gas would have cost more than that lol.

American has cancelled all of its flights from Philadelphia on Saturday. This region is expected to have blizzard conditions.

I'm scheduled to sail on Vision Jan 30th. I've spoken to the snow gods and told them I won't complain about the blizzard if they promise me everything will be back to normal by the 28th - 2 days pre-cruise in Tampa.

Wishin you the best with your travel plans!!

Our booked flights are Southwest 1445 Sat at 1:45 and 1519 Sunday at 6:30 AM. If both of those flights are cancelled, we might switch to the Jetblue flight. Baron, thank you for that info. Do you know for pretty sure that the forcast for snow won't reach that far North?

Rich

Our booked flights are Southwest 1445 Sat at 1:45 and 1519 Sunday at 6:30 AM. If both of those flights are cancelled, we might switch to the Jetblue flight. Baron, thank you for that info. Do you know for pretty sure that the forcast for snow won't reach that far North?

Rich

Southwest has already cancelled over 450 flights for Saturday. There are already almost 2,200 flights cancelled in the US tomorrow.

http://flightaware.com/live/cancelled/today

Jetblue is notorious for just cancelling everything so I wouldn't bet on that flight.

Anything going down the east coast is going to be tough. Get creative. You might need to drive to a different airport and go west and then get a flight connecting to FLL. My DH is in Memphis and so far, his flights for tomorrow are on schedule MEM to ORD, ORD to BOS. If his first leg gets cancelled, he is going to try to fly to Houston or Denver and then from there to Boston. The others he is travelling with were all going through Newark or Baltimore and are all cancelled.

Look at some flights you wouldn't normally consider under normal conditions.

I hope everyone makes it on time. This is an ugly Nor'easter blizzard coming. Weather, airline cancellations, lost luggage, jet lag, and strikes are why we always arrive a day or two early for cruises. The timing of this weather may mess up even the best laid plans. Good luck all...

Rich

Here's the latest from Southwest...

New York (LaGuardia) (LGA)

Customers holding reservations for travel to/from/through New York LaGuardia beginning Friday, January 22, thru Sunday, January 24, wanting to alter their travel plans may rebook in the original class of service or travel standby (within 14 days of their original date of travel between the original city-pairs in accordance with our accommodation procedures).

Customers who purchased their itinerary via southwest.com or our mobile app are eligible to rebook.

Customers traveling internationally must call 1-800-435-9792 to speak with a Customer Representative for assistance with rebooking.

Customers who did not purchase a ticket via southwest.com or our mobile app can call 1-800-435-9792 to speak with a Customer Representative.

For specific flight information, please check flight status information.

Customers holding reservations for a flight that is cancelled may request a refund for an unused ticket/travel itinerary.

Rich

Thanks Rich. I'll be tracking it and hoping that if the Sat one doesn't take off the Sunday one does.

crossed-fingers-sign-of-the-cross-resembles-the-salvation-of-mankind-through-Christs-crucifix.jpg

Our Saturday flight has been cancelled. We're waiting for news of the Sunday flight and considering the Sunday Jetblue flight from Stewart to FLL. A question-if the Jetblue flight is also cancelled, can we get our money back rather than getting credit for a future flight? It's over $800 for the two of us and I don't want to book and throw the money away. We would prefer to take the whole cruise, but if necessary, we'll fly directly to Jamaica and board there. Does anyone know where the Allure docks in Jamaica?

Rich

Our Saturday flight has been cancelled. We're waiting for news of the Sunday flight and considering the Sunday Jetblue flight from Stewart to FLL. A question-if the Jetblue flight is also cancelled, can we get our money back rather than getting credit for a future flight? It's over $800 for the two of us and I don't want to book and throw the money away. We would prefer to take the whole cruise, but if necessary, we'll fly directly to Jamaica and board there. Does anyone know where the Allure docks in Jamaica?

Rich

Have you called the cruise line yet to see if you can join the ship in Jamaica? You might want to touch base with them and find out what you need to do.

I know when we cancelled a cruise close to sail date, we were told by both the cruise line and our insurance that we needed to cancel prior to the ship sailing or our insurance would not cover anything. I know you aren't planning to cancel your cruise, just make sure you know who needs to be contacted when so you don't have any issues with insurance.

Good luck! I hope one of your options pans out.:)

Rich

Don't know the answer but am really sorry to hear. Safety first, but obviously disappointing. So guess the goal is to get yourself to Jamaica. Good that it's a back to back. Good luck Keep us posted.

The forecast for Stewart airport in Newburgh (the jet blue flight) has changed from snow showers to 3-5 inches. Snow isn't supposed to start until around noon though, so you might be ok. Sat. morning flight is almost fully booked.

Note that If you're able to get a flight to West Palm, Orlando, Jacksonville or ANYWHERE in Florida on Sat. it's easy to rent a car and drive to FLL.

FWIW --

Southwest runs non stops to Orlando from ALbany and there is no signif snow expected in ALbany --

They have seats left on Sat Jan 23 flights as off now --

not cheap but available (departs 955am or 255PM)

I'm looking at Westchester, but my question is if the snow starts about 3am, what is the chance of flight cancellation? Southwest has cancelled both my Sat and Sun flights from Islip.

Rich

I am so sorry for all this - what a pain. I don't have any answers for you. Just wanted to let you know I sure hope everything works out and you are on the ship when she sails on Sunday.

Fascinating thread...and I sure hope you make it, Rich!

Here's a thought outside the box...if you've got good insurance, head up to Toronto.

Here's my thinking: a lot of the challenges during and in the immediate aftermath of the storm (Sunday) will be planes and crews being in the wrong places...and so many flights to Florida go through those affected airports. I think that's what's happened with your Sunday flight - conditions likely aren't going to be that bad in ISP, but they just can't get the plane and crew there...it's going to backlog US carriers for days.

The difference is, all of Air Canada's flights to Florida originate in Canada and will be unaffected by the storm. Sure, they've got some aircraft that serve NE US cities, but it's not on the scale of SW, JB, UA and others trying to restart the bulk of their systems on the run.

If you could get up to Toronto on Friday evening, there's several nonstop options to Florida airports...and most importantly, I expect all those planes will go. The trouble is, if you can't get up to Toronto tonight, you're unlikely to be able to fly out Saturday...even if the storm hasn't hit NYC yet Saturday morning, most flights are already cancelled as the airlines don't want their planes stuck in NYC, potentially for days.

On Saturday, Air Canada alone has 16 nonstop flights to Florida...there's more on Canada's #2 airline, Westjet...and at least five more flights Sunday morning that get in early enough to board Allure.

As for joining Allure in Jamaica - yes, check with RCCL. Falmouth is a couple hours by taxi from the airport in Montego Bay. But I'd also look soon into securing reservations for Monday or Tuesday...there's going to be a backlog of travellers trying to book a limited number of seats...even though JetBlue has nonstop flights from JFK, flying on Air Canada via Toronto might be easier to find a seat on a plane that actually departs on Monday...

Food for thought, you can also look into flights to West Palm Beach and Miami if all the Ft. Lauderdale flights are booked. Good Luck.

Great Idea....

We flew into West Palm Beach two years ago when our flights were canceled out of BWI to FLL. We were on the 2nd to last flight out of BWI that day before it closed.