Carnival, with oil prices so low, how about lowering some cruise prices?

crusinpsychRN

Oil is so low Carnival should defray some of the cost so we can get some better prices. 2017 prices are way up. What do they know we don't?

The fuel they are burning now was likely purchased at prices from at least a year ago. It also seems they are having no problems filling their ships at current prices which gives them no reason to discount cruise fares. All the mass market lines prices are going up it seems.

Just like the airlines, Carnival is a business enjoying the low fuel cost. And with stronger than ever bookings right now I can only see prices going up. If you look at it from a business point of view how can you blame them. Heck I'm still paying a $3 fuel adjustment delivery fee from our pizza places that was put in place a few years ago when fuel prices were high.

The fuel they are burning now was likely purchased at prices from at least a year ago. It also seems they are having no problems filling their ships at current prices which gives them no reason to discount cruise fares. All the mass market lines prices are going up it seems.

Agreed. Another thing just like the airlines. They buy large quantities at a contract price well in advance but with fuel being this low for this long with no immediate increase in sight I'd say they'll be reaping the benefits soon if they are not already.

Edited by Podna's

Plus the EPA requires all ships that operate in the US to burn a more environmentally friendly fuel, which last I heard cost 3x more than the fuel that they used to burn

That's correct. The price of low sulfur MGO (required within 200 miles of North American, Hawaiian, P.R. and USVI coasts) for the 4th quarter of 2015 was still above the price of IFO380 (the residual fuel they used to burn) for the 4th quarter of 2014. So, they have seen very little drop in oil price. Also, marine bunker prices are on the way up, contrary to crude or gasoline prices, due to increased demand worldwide.

They'll charge what people are willing to pay. If they weren't filling ships you'd see prices drop. Many Americans have more disposable income as their own fuel prices drop. This drives demand for luxury and discretionary spending and that's what a cruise is.

Agreed. Another thing just like the airlines. They buy large quantities at a contract price well in advance but with fuel being this low for this long with no immediate increase in sight I'd say they'll be reaping the benefits soon if they are not already.

They can pause using the older fuel contracts and purchase fuel at current price point.

They can pause using the older fuel contracts and purchase fuel at current price point.

And... how do propose that one "pause" a contract? No offense, but contract law is obviously not your specialty. If you do not honor the terms of "my" contract with "you", I will sue you, and win!

In essence, you cannot "pause" a contract unless the party you signed it with is stupid enough to let you renegotiate it. In essence, you are stuck!

Either way you will not get a fare reduction to to lower fuel prices.

When fuel prices went crazy airlines started charging for ANYTHING extra, including baggage. Now with low fuel prices I don't see them allowing free checked bags again. It so irritating with everyone having a carry on and there just isn't room. We fly Alaska and they will usually let you check a carry on for free.

As for carnival, they are still selling cruises so why lower the prices? Supply and demand....

Just like the airlines' date=' Carnival is a business enjoying the low fuel cost. And with stronger than ever bookings right now I can only see prices going up. If you look at it from a business point of view how can you blame them. Heck I'm still paying a $3 fuel adjustment delivery fee from our pizza places that was put in place a few years ago when fuel prices were high.

They probably bought the pizza dough when oil was sky high.

Bill