Shareholder Credit Denied

TahoeLady

Not quite sure we understand what a TA has to do with the equation. We have also done many TAs (including 2 in the next few months) but this is not really relevant to stockholder credits. If you find a good deal that includes special pricing and some OBCs you are simply not going to get the stockholder credit. A good friend (and also another frequent cruiser) best summed up RCI stockholder credits by saying "if you do get the stockholder credit you have simply screwed up and paid too much for your cruise." Interesting point of view but much truth in the statement.

Hank

Since TAs seldom come with any perks, and because of the already low pricing, there's not much margin for giving OBC etc. and therefore the likelihood of getting the shareholder credit is increased. I have gotten it on just about every TA I have taken. However I haven't, in my opinion, paid too much for my cruises, as evidenced by the many people who have asked me how I always get such great deals. I have never paid more than $1000 per person for a 14 to 15 night cruise, and have paid as little as $699 and we have always booked balcony cabins. I would say that I have gotten OBC from the online travel agencies on probably 75% of the TAs I have taken, but it has never been OBC coming from celebrity. I always ask to make sure because what I'm getting from the shareholder benefit is generally more than the TA is offering

We are about to venture on cruises 11 and 12 with celebrity but have only managed to get the shareholder credit for the first 2 cruises. After that we have always had drinks packages etc.

For the last few years I have been pretty happy owning the stock having purchased it at $26. Just wish I had bought more.

Since TAs seldom come with any perks, and because of the already low pricing, there's not much margin for giving OBC etc. and therefore the likelihood of getting the shareholder credit is increased. I have gotten it on just about every TA I have taken. However I haven't, in my opinion, paid too much for my cruises, as evidenced by the many people who have asked me how I always get such great deals. I have never paid more than $1000 per person for a 14 to 15 night cruise, and have paid as little as $699 and we have always booked balcony cabins. I would say that I have gotten OBC from the online travel agencies on probably 75% of the TAs I have taken, but it has never been OBC coming from celebrity. I always ask to make sure because what I'm getting from the shareholder benefit is generally more than the TA is offering

We do agree that TAs do not usually carry the benefits (like drink package promos) but we have still managed to snag some amazing deals in the past. We also love to shop around for these Repositioning cruises among many cruise lines (we have been on 14 lines) since somebody is usually offering fantastic deals. We often like to add at least one additional cruise (back to back) in Europe. And by the way, one little trick we employ is to buy a round trip airline ticket (or use FF miles) to Europe. In the fall we use 1/2 of that ticket to fly to Europe and then take a repo cruise back to the USA. The other half of the ticket we use in the spring to get us home after a repo cruise from the USA to Europe. Buying the single round trip ticket is usually more economical than 2 one-ways....and it gives us a lot more options.

Whenever we book a cruise we always send in our request for stockholders credit (for both RCI and CCL products) but could paper a bathroom wall with rejections from the RCI companies which usually say something like (the stockholder credit is not combinable with your fare or promotion). And like you, we do consider which is better....the fare/promotion or the stockholder credit.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

"Please note that as of December 31, 2008, the shareholder benefit offer is not combinable with other onboard credit offers, general loyalty offers, upgrade offers, chartered sailings, certain group sailings, "dollars off/wave" promotional offers, certain price programs, reservations made on a reduced rate/travel agent rate/inter-line rate and savings certificates. For bookings made prior to December 31, 2008, the Shareholder Onboard Credit is combinable under certain conditions. Please direct queries to investorrelations@rccl.comand a prompt response will be forthcoming."

It boils down to this...if you're on an RCL ship and you're breathing, you don't qualify. (this excludes Teecee60)

But please still request it so you keep the persons in shareholder relations employed.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

We mostly book inside cabins after final payment with either Resident, Senior Discounts or Exciting Deals and we always get the Shareholder credit. Since we bought the stock we have gotten over $2,500 in OBC and we only paid $550 for the 100 shares. Plus it's been paying dividends. Not a bad ROI.

Those of us who formerly received either RCL shareholder OBC from Celebrity bookings, CCL from HAL bookings, etc., and still receive CCL OBC are, I think, understandably a bit disgruntled every time we're turned down by RCL. This surfaced for me again yesterday when, at 4:28 PM I submitted for our CCL OBC and had confirmation of the $250 OBC from HAL at 4:35 PM. This for a cruise that was both discounted and already carried an OBC. That said, Celebrity is still our favorite cruise line for a number of reasons. We won't stop booking with Celebrity because of this one policy we dislike. The decision for us comes down to which line offers the combination of itinerary, cabin & timing that we prefer.

We mostly book inside cabins after final payment with either Resident, Senior Discounts or Exciting Deals and we always get the Shareholder credit. Since we bought the stock we have gotten over $2,500 in OBC and we only paid $550 for the 100 shares. Plus it's been paying dividends. Not a bad ROI.

We purchased our last TA (Nov 2015), on a Tuesday special and we were denied the Shareholder credit because it was a Tuesday special. I wish Celebrity would print a bunch of song books for their people so everyone was singing the same song!

In recent years we have found our RCI STockholder Credit to be totally worthless! The problem is we shop around for the best deals on cruises and are always successful in finding decent promotions, discounts, OBCs, etc. Celebrity, RCI and Azamara no longer allow "stacking" of credits so they always deny the stockholder credit. It is a totally different story with CCL Stock as their many companies are much more generous with credits. In fact, when we take cruises on Princess we often get so much OBC that we have money refunded at the end of our cruises.

Hank

That's why I Dropped my RCI stock. But kept my CCL Stock.

Celebrity, Royal Carribbean Inc., denied my request for shareholder credit for my B2B2B cruises in February. This was first denial in 10 cruises. I had no idea that my cruise rate was one of their "special" rates which was not combinable with the credit. It frankly was not that special and certainly was not a bargain. I complained to a number of departments and they said too bad! At the least it should be clearer which rates they consider not combinable but also be sure to ask your travel agent what the rate is called so you can check. This was worth $750 to me and I am now a totally disgruntled customer who will not be sailing with these lines in the future. Not that they care at all!!!!! I was already booked so I am now stuck.

That's why I sold mine. It never seemed to be combinable. Of course, I probably sold about 6 months too soon as it went up significantly. But I made enough on it, I'm not going to complain. It aggravated me more when I could never combine it.

Thank you to everyone for your responses. I had not realized how difficult and how unusual it was to get the shareholder OBC. Now I know so I will have a different mindset when I figure out which trips I am interested in.

And just for information our first trip is in an inside room and we still didn't get the credit.

Oh well. I am over it as one person recommended! But considering I just took my family on Celebrity in 4 Concierge rooms in December I definitely think the quality of the entire cruise is slipping. So at least I will have fun trying other lines in the future!

I have shares in RCI. How many shares do I need for the stock benefit and how soon can I apply?

Thanks!

Tom:)

If you book a cruise with any kind of perk such as free gratuities, free liquor package, free obc, you will not get the shareholders perk. My suggestion is sell your RCL stock and buy Carnival stock. They have no restrictions like RCL does and it's good on any of the corporations different cruise lines.

If you book a cruise with any kind of perk such as free gratuities, free liquor package, free obc, you will not get the shareholders perk. My suggestion is sell your RCL stock and buy Carnival stock. They have no restrictions like RCL does and it's good on any of the corporations different cruise lines.

Thanks...I've already have Carnival stock but purchased RCI stock at $22 a share, it's now $85 per share.

Tom:)

Booking a inside cabin & no perks gets the share holder benefit .If you are a Elite or Elite + there are great perks :D. We have booked inside cabins & got the share holder credit along with our elite + perks & TAs OBC . A good deal all around :D

Also by purchasing or upgrading after final payment date.

Sometimes... I bought a cruise after final and was told it was a special price that wasn't combinable. Wasn't any of the standard specials that have issues e.g. guarantees though.

It seems ironic that those who book the cheapest cabins at the lowest price and own stock get the shareholder credit, while those that spend the most on more expensive cabins are denied.

These are mostly those booking inside cabins, and often after the final payment date and often on a cheaper transatlantic cruise.

Edited by Jade13

• 5 weeks later...
I own bank shares, no discount from them because I own their shares.

I own shares in Oil companies but no discount at the gas pump because of it.

I actually also own shares in a diamond mine, but last time I bought a bauble for my DW there was no discount

Why on earth should we expect a Cruise company to give us a discount on our cruise because we own their shares ?

Every nickel of OBC Celebrity "gives" has to be paid for from someplace, higher fares, lower dividends, cutbacks someplace else, it isn't free. I get enough OBC as it is, I really don't need more.

Maybe because other cruise companies give the discount in OBC.

We do agree that TAs do not usually carry the benefits (like drink package promos) but we have still managed to snag some amazing deals in the past. We also love to shop around for these Repositioning cruises among many cruise lines (we have been on 14 lines) since somebody is usually offering fantastic deals. We often like to add at least one additional cruise (back to back) in Europe. And by the way, one little trick we employ is to buy a round trip airline ticket (or use FF miles) to Europe. In the fall we use 1/2 of that ticket to fly to Europe and then take a repo cruise back to the USA. The other half of the ticket we use in the spring to get us home after a repo cruise from the USA to Europe. Buying the single round trip ticket is usually more economical than 2 one-ways....and it gives us a lot more options.

Whenever we book a cruise we always send in our request for stockholders credit (for both RCI and CCL products) but could paper a bathroom wall with rejections from the RCI companies which usually say something like (the stockholder credit is not combinable with your fare or promotion). And like you, we do consider which is better....the fare/promotion or the stockholder credit.

Hank

We have done the very same thing with the RT airfare! It is so much cheaper than getting one way tix!

I have never applied for the shareholder credit....is there a form that should be faxed or email? Does anyone have the link for the form?

Thanks!

That's why I sold mine. It never seemed to be combinable. Of course, I probably sold about 6 months too soon as it went up significantly. But I made enough on it, I'm not going to complain. It aggravated me more when I could never combine it.

I'm with ya on that! I'm thinking of selling mine too!