Train to the Sydney OPT.

We live approximately 30kms from the OPT and thinking of getting a train for our upcoming cruise. Do we need an Opal card?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep.

You catch the train to Circular Quay a couple of hundred metre walk on flat ground.

We live approximately 30kms from the OPT and thinking of getting a train for our upcoming cruise. Do we need an Opal card?

No you do not need a Opal card.

Information on NSW Transport website states:

"From 1 January 2016, most paper tickets will no longer be sold:

The only paper tickets available will be single Adult and Concession tickets (trains, buses, ferries and light rail) and return Adult and Concession tickets (trains, ferries and light rail)".

Ref: http://www.transportnsw.info/en/transport-status/news/detail.page?news=templatedata/Content/News-Article/data/2015/ticket-retirement-0116.xml

Edited by By The Bay

I begrudgingly bought an opal card about 12 months ago, to get myself to the airport. Living In the hills district and only having private bus companies for transport, we were able to pay cash. Now I love opal card, use it on a private buses to get into the city, and then onto the train to the airport, or as of next week, bus to wynyard and train to OPT ( I know it's not far a walk but with luggage etc) my opal card will be my friend!

I find newsagents will sell you initial opal card for $20, whereas on line they have I think a $40 limit.

There is no point in getting an Opal card if this is the one and only time you are likely to use Sydney trains. However seeing as you live only 30 km away the chances are you will use it again some time so yeah, get one. They are very convenient and you get unlimited travel on a Sunday for $2.50.

We have a day in Sydney soon, arriving into White Bay, and departing in the afternoon. Usually when we come into Sydney we have our luggage so just go to the airport and head home. This time we are staying on the ship and have to day to spend in the city. We could get a taxi to the CBD or the Rocks area, but if we want to use public transport do we need the Opal card that has been mentioned or can we pay when we board the ferry at White Bay. If they don't sell tickets on board, will there be somewhere in the terminal that we can buy tickets?

We have a day in Sydney soon, arriving into White Bay, and departing in the afternoon. Usually when we come into Sydney we have our luggage so just go to the airport and head home. This time we are staying on the ship and have to day to spend in the city. We could get a taxi to the CBD or the Rocks area, but if we want to use public transport do we need the Opal card that has been mentioned or can we pay when we board the ferry at White Bay. If they don't sell tickets on board, will there be somewhere in the terminal that we can buy tickets?

The ferry to and from White Bay is ran by Capt Cook Cruises, opal cards are not accepted.

You can line up and get tickets or pre book

https://www.captaincook.com.au/sydney-harbour-cruises/ferries/white-bay-cruise-terminal-city-ferry/

The ferry to and from White Bay is ran by Capt Cook Cruises, opal cards are not accepted.

You can line up and get tickets or pre book

https://www.captaincook.com.au/sydney-harbour-cruises/ferries/white-bay-cruise-terminal-city-ferry/

Thank you. With input from my other half, we will decide whether the taxi option or the Capt Book boat will suit best. :)

Beware of track work, like today City Circle line out, inc to Circular Quay.

Luckily my son picked up the wife and grand daughter from Sutherland where they left their car at my brother in laws and drove them in to ye olde OPT. From reports it was very congested down at the OPT/Quay, zillions of private cars, taxis, buses.

Beware of track work, like today City Circle line out, inc to Circular Quay.

Luckily my son picked up the wife and grand daughter from Sutherland where they left their car at my brother in laws and drove them in to ye olde OPT. From reports it was very congested down at the OPT/Quay, zillions of private cars, taxis, buses.

Yep and with George street being ripped up:rolleyes:

Agree with gek.

Beware with opal there are annoying time frames about not registering credit, and expiry as I recall, plus you have to set aside the credit. If you really think this will be a one off, probably best just to buy the ticket from the machine.

Edited by The_Big_M

As you live in Sydney, if you have a Seniors' Card, then you would get a Gold Opal card. This entitles you to travel anywhere within the Sydney / Newcastle / Wollongong area for $2.50 a day, any day. AFAIK, the card doesn't expire, unless you have a non-NSW address. You can also use it to travel out to the airport, as the gate charges are deducted when you go through the gates.

I registered online, but didn't choose the automatic top-up, as I didn't want to give my credit card details. I top up at a newsagent.

Is your cruise leaving from the OPT? If so, then catch the train to Circular Quay and walk around - it's only a 10 minute walk.

re White Bay: I investigated using public transport to get to the ship, but it's a long walk. Haven't tried the Captain Cook ferry service, but check out where it docks. $9 one way per person. A taxi x Central Railway station could be cheaper if 2 or more travelling.

If you leave the OPT and take the train to the airport can you get a once off ticket there and how much is it? I think I read it is a ten minute walk and a twenty minute ride to the airport. Is that right? Thanks.:)

My understand is that yes you can still buy a paper ticket to the airport.

Less than ten minute walk from the OPT to Circular Quay Station, probably only 5 for most people.

But more like a 30 min trp to the airport depending on domestic or international terminal, then allow a 10 min walk from the station to check in.

We are cruising next Sunday 31/1. Hoping to catch the train to circular quay. Does everyone get $2.50 travel on a Sunday? Dads over 65. My brother & son are autistic so we have companion cards. Worried about train line works.

We are cruising next Sunday 31/1. Hoping to catch the train to circular quay. Does everyone get $2.50 travel on a Sunday? Dads over 65. My brother & son are autistic so we have companion cards. Worried about train line works.

Can't seem to find any info on that anymore, Elise. However if you are coming from the airport it will be dearer - there is a surcharge on journeys that start/finish at the airport. It's either $13 or $11.60 for concession, one way.

Hope you and your family have a wonderful cruise.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

My understand is that yes you can still buy a paper ticket to the airport.

Less than ten minute walk from the OPT to Circular Quay Station, probably only 5 for most people.

But more like a 30 min trp to the airport depending on domestic or international terminal, then allow a 10 min walk from the station to check in.

Only 18 to 21 minutes by train to Domestic/International according to the website.

http://www.airportlink.com.au/trip-information/trip-times/

Edited by cassamanda

Everyone with an Opal card gets $2.50 fares. Paper tickets are more expensive. As already mentioned the only other exceptions are trips to/from the airport

Edited by gek

So it sounds like my best option is just to buy a paper ticket at the airport on arrival.

My son & brother both have companion cards so we only pay for a child & pensioner.

The train is the easiest option. I find it easier than a taxi or corporate car as I can keep William in his pram the whole time.

So it sounds like my best option is just to buy a paper ticket at the airport on arrival.

My son & brother both have companion cards so we only pay for a child & pensioner.

The train is the easiest option. I find it easier than a taxi or corporate car as I can keep William in his pram the whole time.

what is a companion card, havent heard of that before, they'd still have to pay a fare wouldnt they

i come to Sydney a few times a year but i have an Opal card so i dont have to worry about buying a paper ticket and i go to Brisbane to see my daughter and have a Go card and it works out cheaper in the long run having a card and you can top it up online or at the station

My last trip from the OPT to the airport was $18.60 on a paper ticket, $15 of this was for the airport charge.

That sounds about right I thought mine was $16.50 in Nov. But by the same token I ddn't pay a lot of attention handed over $20 AND GOT A FEW COINS BACK.