Gratuity on beverages

TheCalicoCat

Is SBP inclusive of the gratuities? I ask because the fare is exclusive of the daily hotel service charge & port taxes & because from what I read on the HAL website (quoted below) it is unclear.

Our Signature Beverage Package* offers the convenience and value of paying one price per day for beverages enjoyed during the course of your cruise.

A variety of wines, beers, spirits and cocktails (including non-alcoholic) from our many lounges, bars and restaurants

After-dinner coffee drinks from the Explorer’s Lounge; made-to-order espresso drinks from the Explorations Café

Refreshing sodas and beverages poolside

Is SBP inclusive of the gratuities? I ask because the fare is exclusive of the daily hotel service charge & port taxes & because from what I read on the HAL website (quoted below) it is unclear.

Our Signature Beverage Package* offers the convenience and value of paying one price per day for beverages enjoyed during the course of your cruise.

A variety of wines, beers, spirits and cocktails (including non-alcoholic) from our many lounges, bars and restaurants

After-dinner coffee drinks from the Explorer’s Lounge; made-to-order espresso drinks from the Explorations Café

Refreshing sodas and beverages poolside

Gratuities are included in the SBP. However, I do like to slip my regular servers a dollar or two now and again - they really appreciate it.

Gratuities are included in the SBP. However, I do like to slip my regular servers a dollar or two now and again - they really appreciate it.

We do too & the room service waiters & I slip the room stewards a couple twenties too. (Just need to know whether or not the $700+ is a base rate or inclusive) thanks for the answer.

I have often wondered if there is a computer based record of frequent passengers. It would rate your personality (grouch?), cleanliness(slob), great tipper (miser)? It seems sometimes that the room stewards are familiar with us. (Oh forgot this category "oh no! I can't believe I got that couple again!"

We rarely have the same bar server any more -- thus we don't tip extra.

That's been our experience. Our favorite spot is the Crow's Nest and it used to be a server would focus in on us for pretty much the whole cruise and we would tip them at the end of the cruise. I hesitate to exactly make a direct cause and effect link but about the time HAL went to the beverage surcharge, and it seemed to concurrently reduced the wait staff, we noticed a drop off in service and rarely establish that one-on-one relationship with a server. Bottom line is we rarely tip a bar wait staff extra now.

I have often wondered if there is a computer based record of frequent passengers. It would rate your personality (grouch?), cleanliness(slob), great tipper (miser)? It seems sometimes that the room stewards are familiar with us. (Oh forgot this category "oh no! I can't believe I got that couple again!"

I wouldn't know whether or not there's a formal system for reviewing the passengers, but I am -dam ;) sure there's a bush system going on.

I have boarded a ship, and gone for service somewhere, and been treated like a queen right off the bat. Other stewards have seen it, and been right there for me, too.

Love it. :D

I wouldn't know whether or not there's a formal system for reviewing the passengers, but I am -dam ;) sure there's a bush system going on.

I have boarded a ship, and gone for service somewhere, and been treated like a queen right off the bat. Other stewards have seen it, and been right there for me, too.

Love it. :D

Deleted

Edited by qsuzi

I only wish I could cruise that often!

I don't know if they do or not, but I am astounded when I encounter a steward or server that I have cruised with before and they remember my name - in a nice way, LOL!:) One example - last year I went to the aft Lido for sailaway and heard a server calling me from across the deck. He had been our server the year before. Just one example. I swear they have special talents to remember all those names and faces.

>SNIP<

I absolutely agree that informal "intel" on passengers is shared among the crew.

And if anyone deserves to be treated like royalty, RuthC, I am sure it is you! :)

That's been our experience. Our favorite spot is the Crow's Nest and it used to be a server would focus in on us for pretty much the whole cruise and we would tip them at the end of the cruise. I hesitate to exactly make a direct cause and effect link but about the time HAL went to the beverage surcharge, and it seemed to concurrently reduced the wait staff, we noticed a drop off in service and rarely establish that one-on-one relationship with a server. Bottom line is we rarely tip a bar wait staff extra now.

Interesting, I have found the opposite on the Prinsendan and even the Westerdam last year. Hope it's the same in a couple of months

Why every two days? Are you expecting them to go someplace else??

This is on a 35-day cruise. I don't like to wait until the last night to tip.

The two-day interval works well for me to tip the main attendant and his assistant in even numbers.

Tipping on the last night is how tips are done on cruises...

Agreed for room and MDR staff, but the discussion here is about drink serving staff.

If you frequent the same bar, at the same time, its a good idea to tip a friendly barman to get decent drinks, as opposed to minimum weak mixes.

A tenner at the beginning, and a tenner near the end will mean that the drinks ordered are more equitable ;). The savings accumulate according to the frequency of ordering (with a 21 day cruise in mind).

JMO

Agreed for room and MDR staff, but the discussion here is about drink serving staff.

If you frequent the same bar, at the same time, its a good idea to tip a friendly barman to get decent drinks, as opposed to minimum weak mixes.

A tenner at the beginning, and a tenner near the end will mean that the drinks ordered are more equitable ;). The savings accumulate according to the frequency of ordering (with a 21 day cruise in mind).

JMO

I have never done that - we tip our stewards and servers at the end of the cruise - and all our drinks have been the proper measures. We typically do 21 day cruises. I believe Hal servers are professional and do their job properly regardless of "bribery".

I have never done that - we tip our stewards and servers at the end of the cruise - and all our drinks have been the proper measures. We typically do 21 day cruises. I believe Hal servers are professional and do their job properly regardless of "bribery".

Good for you. Now lets come down to earth :)

Edited by jpelleti007

Good for you. Now lets come down to earth :)

WE'are, you're the one with the weird outlook. While I won't deny that there are places where the staff always has their hand out (Vegas comes to mind), a HAL ship isn't one of them.

Now, you'll probably say that the good service you get is proof that your bribe pays off. We'll counter that the good service we get shows it isn't necessary.