NE/Canada Cruise Questions?

OceanCallingMe

We want to take this 7 Day cruise out of Boston and had a few questions for any who have done this already. Time of year? Seeing the fall colors is not high on our list, but not being able to see anything due to fog or storm would be sad, so what time of year would you recommend, we were thinking of August perhaps, but have some flexibility?

Also, the verandah opens up onto the Promenade deck on the Veendam, is there a problem not having your own private balcony, which we love? Thanks to all who chime in, i know i will have more questions later, we've only done a couple cruises but this itinerary is one I've had my eye on for years. Thanks in advance.

My late DH and I did that cruise time and again and have sailed in June, July and August. My favorite month for that itinerary is August. You can never be assured of dry, warm weather on a Canada/NE cruise. There are times the fog is so thick in Bar Harbor, a Bridge Officer is required to ride every tender ashore. Once you get ashore, it is fine but you can see the ship 100 yards away. :) Of course, that doesn't always happen but I've experienced the fog horn sounding all through the dark night. I find it a lovely sound and it doesn't bother me but that is not a common experience in Caribbean. :)

We always have a verandah cabin though walked laps many times on Promenade. Some people love those Lanai cabins but only you can decide if that is suitable for you.

Edited by sail7seas

You mentioned Promenade Deck and Verandah.

I assume that you booked a lanai cabin???

If so -- you do not have a verandah. Your cabin has sliding glass doors that open directly onto the Promenade Deck. No private balcony or verandah.

JMO -- but we prefer to book cabins with private balconies/verandahs.

We took this cruise on Veendam in July 2014. We had an ocean view cabin. I too would keep away from the Lanai. Seems like you would have to keep your curtains closed to keep people from looking in. Here is a link to some of my pictures. Happy to answer questions.

We had a great cruise last summer in a lanai cabin on the Veendam . The weather was terrible but we had a great cruise . We were offered an upsell to this cabin type and after a moment of hesitation , we grabbed it . So happy we did . A great value . Why have a 35 square foot balcony when you can have a 3 acre one .:D We loved being able to go in and out directly on to the walking deck . Privacy was not an issue . You can not see in during the day . At night you close the drapes . Not a problem .

As others have said , weather is always a potential issue pn a Canadian/New England cruise . On a Glory cruise the foghorn blared for the better part of 3 days . None the less it was a decent cruise spoiled by the fact that the cruise sailed at 120% of occupancy .:eek:

We love the Can/NE area and have done various cruises (on multiple cruise lines) in that region. DW and I have lived in the NE for most of our lives, so the leaves, weather, etc. is not unfamiliar. Trying to time the leaves changing color is like rolling the dice...because the actual time frames can (and do) change by several weeks year to year. But we do love the fall season in the NE and prefer to take those cruises in October (which is the most popular time). Personally, we think many of the Canadian and NE ports are fantastic. Love spending a few days in Quebec, enjoying great boiled lobster (or lobster rolls) in several of the ports, like driving Prince Edward Island, hiking from the port into the center of Boston, etc.

As to the weather, it is a real crap shoot in a part of the world where the weather is fickle. About 3 years ago we were on a HAL Canada,NE cruise in early October when there was a group of about 300 Japanese onboard. These folks had come 1/3 of the way around the world to see the beautiful foliage colors of the fall. As luck would have it, everything was still green (in Canada and NE) due to some warm temperatures. We really felt their pain. 2 weeks after we returned home to PA the leaves finally began to change colors and it was a glorious fall...although a few weeks late. One just never knows. Would we do the cruise in August? Well, many cruise lines are not even in those waters that early and it is still hurricane season. But otherwise, why not?

Hank

We live in the Boston area, and took the Montreal to Boston trip in 2012 on board the Maasdam. We rented a car at home and drove the Montreal, leaving the rental there, jumping on the boat and ended the cruise at home.

Loved Quebec city and look forward to returning. PEI is great, most scenic to the east and north. Sydney was a bit of a bore. Halifax is a great walking city, the public garden a joy, an easy walk up the hill. Bar Harbor is wonderful if you get out of town and tour Acadia. We traveled in late May/June and would have preferred the warmer months. The aft pool was closed the entire trip. Yes, weather is sketchy but August is a very good bet.

We were offered an upgrade from balcony to Neptune (for the fee) and it was worth it.

Best wishes,

Bruce

We did this cruise on the Veendam in the first week of July 2014. The weather was just about perfect in every port--not a foggy or rainy day for a whole week! This is not a particularly popular cruise for families, so you don't have to worry about the ship being inundated with kids in the summer. So I'd recommend going in July or August for the best chance of good weather. And I'd probably try to get a regular veranda cabin and not one of the Lanai cabins on the Promenade deck. We walked on the Promenade deck every evening and I can't imagine it's all that pleasant having folks walking past your door again and again and again.

What time of year is more susceptible to fog? We are booked on the Rotterdam leaving Montreal on 1 October. Fingers crossed for clear weather. I have already booked some private tours in Bar Harbour(Acadia NP), Halifax(Peggys Cove etc), Charlottetown, Sydney(Ingonish on the Cabot Trail). Plan on visiting the Montmorency Falls either by local bus or by bike tour while in Quebec as we will have spent a few days in Quebec prior to the cruise.

Heavy fog is unusual in Quebec City . Although fog is common at the other stops , I haven't heard instances where the ship couldn't dock . Charlottetown (PEI ) Halifax and Bar Harbor are all great walking around ports so a foggy morning isn't a disaster . The fog usually burns off by late morning . As I'm sure you know , Bar Harbor is a tendering port .

BTW , many love Peggys Cove . Not me . Boring , little to actually do and a long way to get there .

Edited by richstowe

I agree fog in Quebec City has never been a problem for us nor have we even been unable to dock there.

It has not happened to us but I have heard of a rare occasion when ship could not dock at Charlottetown. I really like that port. ;)

At Bar Harbor when there is dense fog, I've never been on the ship when they did not tender. It is a very short tender ride to shore and thankfully despite thick fog, they were always able to tender.

Thanks to all, very helpful responses! No, we haven't booked yet, hoping to make the decision soon. Thanks for the pic of the lanai view and everyone's input. We live in the desert where the temps are way over 100 in summer months, so cool air is cherished then which is why we are looking at summer over fall. Obviously this is a popular cruise if many of you have taken it more than once it sounds like. Thanks again, any other suggestions welcome!

If I were doing that cruise, I would prefer "off season" if possible since many of those ports are home to throngs of tourists during the very short tourist season (especially Bar Harbor!) Just after Labor Day things will quiet down and usually the weather is fine...and dry...and if you get an Indian Summer day, it's great! I've lived in New England for years and the weather is a crap shoot any year, but the tourists are a definite.

Just after Labor Day makes it early September. Weather likely would be warmer/clearer than early October though it's impossible to know for sure. I know I'd bring a lightweight jacket for an early September cruise but likely a fleece jacket for early October. :)

For a day port stop, we never were bothered by too many tourists when we visited in June, July and August. However, I should note it was on Maasdam or Veendam and we were the only ship in. Had there been another ship, that would have been different.

Edited by sail7seas

BTW , many love Peggys Cove . Not me . Boring , little to actually do and a long way to get there .

We thoroughly enjoyed Peggy's Cove. We were in a limo with another couple from the ship. We booked it right on the pier. I can't remember exactly but I think it was $30 (Can.) each for a four hour tour of the Halifax area including a trip out to Peggy's Cove. It took maybe 30 minutes to get out there and the driver put some local Nova Scotia music on. It was a very pleasant drive. Peggy's Cove was crowded when we got there but really interesting. The wind was howling and the white caps were up! Very exciting. Atlantic Ocean water just seems much darker blue than Pacific Ocean water. Very beautiful. I fell in love with Nova Scotia on that trip. P.S. the driver actually gave us a 5 hour tour and he got a tip. :)

We thoroughly enjoyed Peggy's Cove. We were in a limo with another couple from the ship. We booked it right on the pier. I can't remember exactly but I think it was $30 (Can.) each for a four hour tour of the Halifax area including a trip out to Peggy's Cove. It took maybe 30 minutes to get out there and the driver put some local Nova Scotia music on. It was a very pleasant drive. Peggy's Cove was crowded when we got there but really interesting. The wind was howling and the white caps were up! Very exciting. Atlantic Ocean water just seems much darker blue than Pacific Ocean water. Very beautiful. I fell in love with Nova Scotia on that trip. P.S. the driver actually gave us a 5 hour tour and he got a tip. :)
I'm glad you had a great tour of Halifax . You certainly did it the right way hiring a knowledgeable driver for a private tour which included this stop. I was commenting on ship tours which cost $75 or so and offers little more then a bus ride to and from Peggy's Cove. Google map has the trip at about an hour not including the time it takes to corral everyone on and off the bus .

Again I'm glad you enjoyed a truly beautiful area . Still believe Peggy's Cove is a bore but I love Halifax .