Early Flight Home from Getaway, Can we make it?

marcanbr

We are sailing on the Getaway out of Miami in April 2016. The airlines just changed our flight and we are now scheduled to fly out of Miami at 9:25am. We plan to do the self assist and carry our lugguge off the Getaway. What is the earliest we can disembark and do you think we can make that 9:25am flight out of Miami? Or should we change to a later flight?

Would not recommend taking that flight time at all. Highly unlikely you would make it. But that's just my opinion. Change it to a later time, or better yet take the same time . . . 9:25 a.m. the NEXT morning. You will be well relaxed and love the stress free day off of the ship. Of course, that means booking a hotel room for that day... who doesn't want to extend their vacation:rolleyes:!

I know, this is not always an option available to everyone.

Personally I wouldn't consider a flight that early even if the boat docked at the airport. ;)

If the flight is 9.25 you will have to be there no later than 8.25 to check-in. A perfect run port to airport would be about 25 minutes so you have to guarantee to get off and go through formalities by 8am!! :eek:

Mike

We are sailing on the Getaway out of Miami in April 2016. The airlines just changed our flight and we are now scheduled to fly out of Miami at 9:25am. We plan to do the self assist and carry our luggage off the Getaway. What is the earliest we can disembark and do you think we can make that 9:25am flight out of Miami? Or should we change to a later flight?

I can't see how. I would only do it if you had an absolutely guaranteed backup plan available. You might get off the ship slightly before 8 am...but I wouldn't make any plans that must depend on that.

I see other posters have not asked you the right questions. You ability to make it to the airport in time is 100% dependent on you being in the Haven or able to self disembark with the concierge (Platinum) and having Trusted Traveler status or First Class airline tickets.

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs

If you are in The Haven, check in for your flight the day before via the internet. Disembark at 7:15am via the Concierge and be among the first 20 or so off the ship. You will get through customs quickly (don't buy anything so you have nothing to declare) and get into a cab by 7:45 am and at the airport by 8:15 or so. IF you are on a domestic flight, check your bags at the curb. Head straight for security. Use your pre-check from your "trusted traveler" or your fist class tickets to get to the gate by 8:30am. We did this on our last Getaway cruise and were at the gate by 8:30am, no problem for our 10:30am flight. However, this is IF everything goes normally and there is no problem with customs and immigration at the pier and there are no unexpected lines to go through pre-check security at the airport.

If you are boarding an international flight, there is no way the above scenario will work as you need to be at the airport and checked in 2 hours before your flight.

If you are not Haven, Platinum or Trusted Traveler or flying First Class, this will not work even if you do self-assist as a regular passenger because it will be a long, long, long line to get off the ship with other self assist passengers and another long, long, long line to go through customs and another long, long, long line at the taxi stand. Then there is a long, long, long line to go through regular security at MIA.

IMO, call the airline and change to a flight that departs two hours or more later. Since the airline changed the time of the flight, I believe they will do this at no extra cost to you.

After 8:30 or so, MIA becomes a real zoo due to all the people who have disembarked cruise ships going to the airport.

Edited by SuiteTraveler

Which airline & what was your "original" flight time out of MIA ?

Even if you are flying domestic (right) and not checking luggage, with TSA Pre-Check and/or flying J/F with priority, the odds are significantly against you, as others said already.

Call up the airline and request change to later flight, at no charge to you - and, know the available flight # and/or your preferred options to assist the calling center's agent. Carriers do these scheduling realignment and most of the time, the automated CRS do not know you are coming off a cruise and will book you on the next/best available alternative - explain & they are generally obligated to switch you. If you don't ask or check - and, don't count on SMS or email notifications to always inform you ahead of flying, check & re-check, never assume unless you have an excellent TA handling your arrangements, and then, still DIY & not take chances.

With the northeast recovering from massive blizzard Jonas, call centers might be overwhelmed thru tomorrow - try calling at off-peak time & be prepared to be on hold, but definitely do call as you are still 2 to 3 months from sailing. If you don't "like" the answers or agent refused, hang up and call back a little later & speak with another CSR - escalate it up to a supervisor on duty if necessary.

Good luck & please share of your outcome & success story - happy cruising !

Whem, rather be on a ship rather shoveling 30" of soft & fluffy snow, but - heck, mission accomplished for recovering from Jonas the historic blizzard of 2016.

9:25? I'm curious what time it was originally, I've never had a flight move more than an hour one way or another.

I've had a flight cancelled while on a cruise! Imagine the hassle to get a flight out only finding out the morning you were planning on leaving. Thank goodness for cell phones!

Thank you so much for the feedback. My original flight was around 11:30am. I will call the airline and get my flight changed to a later flight. Again, they are the one who changed it so I am sure there will not be a charge.

I got in line to disembark the Escape at 730 am yesterday. Long line and disembarkment took til 830. Was at airport at 9 and with TSA pre-check was at gate at 930 for 955 on time departure. You are cutting it close. Standing in line at 7am and carry on luggage would be the only way you should consider it.

AND if you are LATE and miss your flight because of any one small thing that

was out of SYNC - - -

You do not have priority disembarking ?

The crew had trouble lining up the gangway plank ?

CBP has limited personnel to process clear passengers ?

Your paperwork did not have dotted "i's" crossed "t's" ?

You get to the curb and all the taxis are all ready reserved ?

You are on the highway to the airport and have an accident ?

Or an accident not your fault causes your delay ?

You have baggage to check but do not have free affinity privileges ?

You do not have Priority Check-In at the airline you are on ?

You do not have TSA Pre-Check or Global Entry to move to the front of the line ?

You do not arrive at gate in the prescribed time limit and your seats are given away to standbys ?

Your best bet is to take a flight departing two hours after your arrival at the

airport terminal.

Allow for 45 minutes of travel time from the cruise port to the airport.

Allow for up to an hour to leave the ship with piece of mind.

Your re-scheduled flight at 9:30 does not fit this scenario !

Objectively you should look for something minimally after 11:30.

You took a cruise to escape the rat race why jump back in with both feet the

moment you get off the ship !

We are sailing on the Getaway out of Miami in April 2016. The airlines just changed our flight and we are now scheduled to fly out of Miami at 9:25am. We plan to do the self assist and carry our lugguge off the Getaway. What is the earliest we can disembark and do you think we can make that 9:25am flight out of Miami? Or should we change to a later flight?

The odds of you making that flight are between slim and none, and leaning to the non side. You need to be at the airport before you disembark. You should be checked in and ready to go through security no later than 8:00 a.m. You are not going to be able to do that.

I've had a flight cancelled while on a cruise! Imagine the hassle to get a flight out only finding out the morning you were planning on leaving. Thank goodness for cell phones!

That is why I print my boarding pass on the ship the night before. Odds slim it gets cancelled after boarding passes are issued except for mechanical issues day of.

I don't think you can do it. I had priority debarkation off of the Carnival Breeze this past Sunday and they didn't clear us to leave until 7:50. There was a man who was pacing and panicking who had a 9:30 flight who was likely not going to make it.

We did make it off the ship to make the 8am shuttle to FLL, and we had more than enough time for our 11:30 flight that people told us we were nuts for booking. However, I really don't think you can make the 9:30. I mean think about it, they'll start boarding at around 9am. With you probably not leaving the ship until 8am at the absolute earliest, no way.

Each airline has its own set of rules about how late you can check-in (with baggage)

and when you have to present yourself at the boarding gate.

The TSA doesn't care about those rules they have their own agenda and are not

the least bit sympathetic to late checkers trying to force them to do their work

faster skipping security details.

The transportation to the airport - the driver doesn't want to get pulled over

for speeding - too many of those and he won't be driving for a living.

Unless that flight is the only one of the day it is not worth the hassle - just

grab a bite to eat from the Buffet on the ship - heck you are not going to be fed on

the airplane - relax and take the comfortable ride to the airport - check in and

have a leisure stroll down the concourse not being hassled by the TSA.

Hopefully your ticket class gives you priority boarding so you can board and

stuff the overhead bin with your carry-ons and then watch the parade of last

minute stragglers breathlessly filling the seats around you. The airplane door

closes and you are on the way not hyperventilating - fade to black all is well !

Is it possible,anything is possible!

Is it realistic,not at all!

As others have said why would you want to be stressed after a week of relaxation. I know everybodies situation is different, but I used to take an extra vacation day and fly in the day before.

Good luck to those who try with early flights, as it seems more and more people are carrying their own bags off, leading to longer lines to even get off the ship?

• 2 months later...

I wanted to give an update. After searching many, many forums where some say it was impossible and others say it can be done, we decided to roll the dice and attempt the 9:25am flight. We did this with the expectation there was an extremely good Chance that we would miss the flight and just deal with taking the later flight.

Flight was scheduled at 9:25am with boarding starting at 8:55am

Everyone on board told us the earliest they would start letting people off the ship via self assist was 7:45am. We decided to get up early to go get in line for self assist. We left the room around 6:55am. We proceeded to deck 7 and was surprised at the number of people already in line. FYI, we did not have a Haven room and was just in a regular balcony. We waited in line for 20 minutes and to our surprise, at 7:15am, they started letting people off the ship. We have left many cruises out of New Orleans and was easily off the ship around 7:00am in New Orleans, so we were hoping we would be able to get off earlier than 7:45am. Since we were in line early, Customs was a breeze as there were not many people in line. We proceeded to the Taxi line and was in a Taxi. At 7:50am we arrived at the Miami airport. We did curbside checkin and was finished in no time. It was about 8:00am as we proceeded to security. This is where some panic kicked in as it was a zoo. The line went on forever. To our surprise, it moved really quick and was through in about 20 minutes. We caught the train to our gate which was D60, the furthest gate in the D concourse. We arrived at our gate at 8:30am, 25 minutes prior to boarding and 55 minutes prio to our flight.

So we made it and it can be done. Would I do it again? It depends on the flight options. It was really nice being home by noon instead of 6:00pm at night. Would I recommend it for the faint of heart, absolutely not!!! I would only book it if you have a back up plan.

I don't think you can do it. I had priority debarkation off of the Carnival Breeze this past Sunday and they didn't clear us to leave until 7:50. There was a man who was pacing and panicking who had a 9:30 flight who was likely not going to make it.

We did make it off the ship to make the 8am shuttle to FLL, and we had more than enough time for our 11:30 flight that people told us we were nuts for booking. However, I really don't think you can make the 9:30. I mean think about it, they'll start boarding at around 9am. With you probably not leaving the ship until 8am at the absolute earliest, no way.

How did you arrange/find this shuttle?

I am also heading to FLL for an 11:30 flight off the Getaway.

How did you arrange/find this shuttle?

I am also heading to FLL for an 11:30 flight off the Getaway.

An 11:30am flight can be easily made out of FLL. Try SAS or QLS transportation services. Both are great. We to have an 11:30 out of FLL from our upcoming Escape cruise.