Bringing Snacks

KimboJam

We always bring the individual packages of Costco's Kirkland brand trail mix for late night snacks as well as a long excursion that might not include a lunch. One thing DH said he misses on a cruise is potato chips so I think on our next b2b we'll be bringing potato chips!

Park Cafe should have them, and room service used to have them. I guess it depends on the ship and the day.

Park Cafe should have them, and room service used to have them. I guess it depends on the ship and the day.

On Vision, they no longer had the individual packages of chips. You had to ask for chips, and they would get some from a large tub and put them on your plate.

On Brilliance, they still had the separate bags of chips, sort of hidden by the salad station.

Edited by clarea

I bring snacks with us, not because there isn't enough food on board but because there isn't enough of the kind of food I like to eat when I want to eat it. Things like individual packages of nuts and KIND bars. I eat several small meals during the day so a KIND bar is perfect for me. Also, my daughter is a bottomless pit but is a bit picky so I bring things for her as well. My husband will eat anything.

I also bring things that are good if one of us isn't feeling well like snack packs of pretzels. On one cruise my daughter got sick and all she wanted were pretzels. I asked at every bar and food establishment and couldn't find any complementary ones. I paid $6 for a bag of pretzel thins for her.

On Vision, they no longer had the individual packages of chips. You had to ask for chips, and they would get some from a large tub and put them on your plate.

On Brilliance, they still had the separate bags of chips, sort of hidden by the salad station.

Brilliance had none at Thanksgiving. They kept saying come back tomorrow. Enchantment is pretty good at having them, and it's self serve. Maybe that's why the hoarding.

• 1 month later...

I brought Rasinets on my last cruise. Just something to grab and snack on while getting ready for dinner or wanting a bit of something sweet. I'll bring some stuff for my family on our next one. Again, just something to snack while we are in the cabin. Plus my ds (well even my dd) is always looking for food. So having something for them while in ports will be important (for the wallet especially).

After my first cruise when my daughter bought Pringles on board for about $5 because she was craving chips, I always bring a few snacks - always packaged things that we can take on excursions. There are times when I don't want to eat lunch in port and it tides us over until we get back to the ship.

Do you have to pack them in a carry on or ok to go in luggage? My boys have food allergies and special needs said it was fine to bring snacks/desserts onboard for them.

No problem packing in luggage.

Are you worried that there is not enough food on board?

I bring snacks (beef jerky, granola bars, nuts, packaged cracker snacks) for two reasons- my husband is diabetic and can not go as long as the rest of us between eating, so I bring them for excursions. I also bring snacks for beach days. Sometimes, you just want a little something and not worth the island time wait to get something from the food vendors. Other than that we find plenty to snack on the ship!

I always take a small bag of trail mix (fruit and nuts only) for my SO in case of delayed embarkation, waits to tender back to the ship, etc. He did the shopping yesterday and bought a huge bag of a store brand trail mix that includes generic M&Ms. Will I be able to take ziplock bags of it to Grand Cayman and Ocho Rios (not a sealed package like the kind I usually buy)? And will those cheap M&Ms melt?

I'm not sure about those two islands but there will be an announcement on the ship advising you can't take food off the ship to a lot of islands. We buy pre-packaged individual size trail mix from Costco for just that reason.

peanuts, Bombay mix (or variation of). It's not hunger but to satisfy a craving for things not always easy to get hold of.

Small zip lock bags are handy to store opened bags of snacks.

We often do our own thing in a port of call so we bring peanut butter crackers pre packaged for a snack in port and m and m's. It gets us back on board for a real lunch. If lunch is included on our excursion we just take water. We don't snack on board except once in a while a few m and m's in the solarium.

There is no popcorn on board so we have brought our own prepackaged to enjoy during a movie. What's a movie without popcorn?

All this takes up almost no space in a bag.

I always bring crisps, nuts, biscuits and chocolate. Crisps and nuts are nice sitting on the balcony with a glass of wine in the late afternoon, DH likes a couple of biscuits to dunk in his early morning cuppa (maybe a British thing:)).

After reading the Anthem threads where people were confined to the cabin and missed dinner, I told DH that its definitely a good idea and may even bring a few more snacks in future just in case!

Julie

I always have cravings. I will definitely bring snacks this time around. It's not about food, there is plenty of that, its all about comfort. I'm thinking chocolate something and salty something. Something to keep my energy level up until the next feast!

We travel with snacks for the plane and I like to take a granola bar and/or fun size candy bar on long excursions. We don't eat many of the snacks in the cabin, but a small piece of chocolate before bed is always good!

Pringles for that salt craving, and because I always want them after seeing them in the gift shop, but refuse to pay like 6 dollars for a "snack" sized can. I want to walk around with my full sized can and make people stare.

Sometimes nuts, pistachios are my nut of choice, and I prefer to shell my own, much to the horror of the room cleaner, sorry.

Finally, as others have said, anything chocolate, Royal uses heavy cocoa in their baking and calls it chocolate, you are not fooling me, nope. I will continue to suggest that Hersheys starts their own cruise line, just think of the possibilities.