Bringing Snacks

KimboJam

We sometimes brings snacks as listed above and then I usually take them home.

We don't get hungry after eating all of the food available on the ship!

I'm with you, never seem to eat them. Haven't done it in a while.

Don't the RCI bars have snack mixes any more? The bartenders used to put a bowl out for us when we went for a drink before dinner.

I have brought granola bars for days when we have an all-day excursion with a lunch stop but otherwise I can usually find something that suits in the buffet. On X ships, the ice cream bar has M&Ms etc., which is perfect.

My son has food allergies and while the MDR does a great job with meals, we have a harder time with snack foods - so we usually bring a small suitcase full of snacks for him - cookies, chips, even some cereal and almond milk for breakfast. Since we are already packing food, I do also bring some for the rest of us, things we can't find on the ship, like candy or potato chips.

It is nice to have pre-packaged snacks when going into port, since you can't take your lunch with you on an all day tour - with 3 teenaged boys, the food bills get pretty high, so it helps to have some chips or cookies for them. Plus we never know if we'll find food for our son with food allergies - so to be safe, we bring his snacks.

Don't the RCI bars have snack mixes any more? The bartenders used to put a bowl out for us when we went for a drink before dinner.

I have brought granola bars for days when we have an all-day excursion with a lunch stop but otherwise I can usually find something that suits in the buffet. On X ships, the ice cream bar has M&Ms etc., which is perfect.

Bar nuts are nasty. Little wine karafe that everyone shares. :eek::eek:

No idea who has touched it.

Depending on ship, you may find pre packaged chips. They usually run out due to hoarding. Generally found in Park Cafe.

Edited by John&LaLa

We bring bags of chocolate, like bite size, and pass it out to the crew. I put it in baggies to hand out. The crew loves it. I gave some to the person that delivered room service, along with a decent tip, and they seemed to like the chocolate better.

Gwen [emoji3]

I like to have an occasional small snack in my room. Originally, I wouldn't bring anything on the ship, but then I noticed that when I went to the ship's general store, they did have snacks, but they were normally some foreign stuff that, frankly, I didn't want. So now, I bring my own snacks on board. There's a reason it's called "comfort food"!

Are you worried that there is not enough food on board?

Nope - I know there is plenty of food on board.

It's about favorites. Sometimes, I might feel like a cookie from the promenade café, or sometimes I might feel like a few mint chocolates, or Good & Plenty (which I bring). I don't eat "snack foods" very often at all at home, but during a cruise, I have far fewer restrictions on my food choices :D- so I bring some of my favorites.

Are you worried that there is not enough food on board?

No, that is completely beside the point. If you like Wonkabars, they don't have those on the ship. You could bring a couple and have them if you desire.

I think most people, if not all of us, grasp FULLY that there is plenty of food on board. That is a given. However, some people have certain needs: food allergies, medicines, medical conditions that require eating small items more often, or simply want a taste of something specific they love.

My dad prefers a certain type of coffee. A very specific type of coffee. On the ships they don't have that coffee. He could get whatever generic brand they serve around the ship OR go to Starbucks on many ships and still have coffee... BUT he really likes his blend. He'll drink the other stuff when he wants some coffee in the morning, BUT if he wants *his* blend he'd have to bring it himself.

Saying "Dad OMG they have coffee on the ship!!!!!!!!! Drink that because it's included in your cruise costs!!! Stop bringing your own coffee, you bonehead!!!" wouldn't change how he feels at all.

That's what people are saying here. They want a particular snack and sometimes they don't even wind up eating it on the cruise. They might wind up taking it back home with them, but they like having the option of THEIR snack of choice, should they want or need it.

The really important thing is, as noted in this thread, the location of the bananas in respect to the ketchup and mayo. Also, shave your legs if you wear shorts because no one needs to see hairy legs. It really puts one off the feed.

Edited by poncho1973

I always take a small bag of trail mix (fruit and nuts only) for my SO in case of delayed embarkation, waits to tender back to the ship, etc. He did the shopping yesterday and bought a huge bag of a store brand trail mix that includes generic M&Ms. Will I be able to take ziplock bags of it to Grand Cayman and Ocho Rios (not a sealed package like the kind I usually buy)? And will those cheap M&Ms melt?

When I travel internationally, whether on a cruise, or on land, I expect that certain food will not be available and that is part of traveling that makes it different. If I want a snack on land, we try something new.

So I never bring food, or snacks.

We were desperate for some chips on Brilliance and noticed Nacho Cheese Doritos in Cozumel. Totally different than what the make in the states. And not in a good way. :eek:

Does anyone bring their own snacks on board? Like chips, nuts, cookies, trail mix? Any suggestions for snacks that stand up to "cabin life" better than others?

We always bring the individual packages of Costco's Kirkland brand trail mix for late night snacks as well as a long excursion that might not include a lunch. One thing DH said he misses on a cruise is potato chips so I think on our next b2b we'll be bringing potato chips!