New York Port ? Parking/Bus ?

the plumbers wife

Hi!

We are heading to New York to cruise on the GEM NCL!

Coming from Mass, do we drive, if so what are the options for parking and cost? We are also considering the train and or bus? Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Where is Mass? We are in Western Mass and took the Yankee Trails bus down from Albany. Worked great! :)

I'm not comfortable with recommending the Valet Anywhere service, at least not yet.

First, I would never let some unknown person drive my car to some unknown location in anywhere, much less in Manhattan. Especially scary is the statement on their website that says they use "various garages". No way is this acceptable to me...I want to know where my car will be parked.

Also the earliest recommendations of this service seem have come from new posters. To me this means there's a reasonable chance at least some of these recommendations may be either from owners or employees of this service, or people who received some compensation for endorsing the service. You may recall that there were reports of Premier Parking in Bayonne or their reservation agent giving discounts to people who posted a good review of their service.

I'm a lot more comfortable with using Park Right on West 43rd St. if someone wants to save a few dollars versus parking at the cruise terminal.

Thank you all so much for all your replies!! :)

I suggest you call to see how both of the service work.

Base on my experience being a local New Yorker, Park Right is basically the same thing as Valet Anywhere. Beware that review on above might just as well another employee or owner from park right. At least, it sound like that to me.

I suggest you call to see how both of the service work.

Base on my experience being a local New Yorker, Park Right is basically the same thing as Valet Anywhere. Beware that review on above might just as well another employee or owner from park right. At least, it sound like that to me.

They' re not the same. Park Right is a specific garage on W 43rd. St. Valet Anywhere parks your car at unspecified garages. Further Valet Anywhere provides two way valet service. Park Right only does it in one direction.

They' re not the same. Park Right is a specific garage on W 43rd. St. Valet Anywhere parks your car at unspecified garages. Further Valet Anywhere provides two way valet service. Park Right only does it in one direction.

Haha. Now you really sounded like you are working in park right. How do you know Valet Anywhere park people's car in unspecified garages? Im pretty sure they will tell their customer,if they ask. They have to disclose that!!!

No one will park with a company that doesnt even know where their car is park.

Both of this two companies doesn't own a garage.

And don't be so offensive dude. This is a forum that helps cruise lovers and first time cruisers to seek advise on things to prepare, transportation and things to do.

Haha. Now you really sounded like you are working in park right. How do you know Valet Anywhere park people's car in unspecified garages? Im pretty sure they will tell their customer,if they ask. They have to disclose that!!!

And don't be so offensive dude. This is a forum that helps cruise lovers and first time cruisers to seek advise on things to prepare, transportation and things to do.

Read their websites. They tell you how they do business. Then come back and tell us what they say.

I think it's hilarious that you...who just joined Cruise Critic and have a total of three posts, all about this one topic, are trying to tell me what Cruise Critic is about. I've helped hundreds of cruisers here for years.

Edited by njhorseman

I didn't find anything at all offensive about njhorseman's post. He is a knowledgeable and frequent poster on this forum. I'm the one that mentioned Valet Anywhere. Njhorseman merely pointed out that he is not yet ready to recommend that service which us a totally reasonable comment. There is really not yet enough reliable feedback on Valet Anywhere, particularly from the frequent Manhattan cruisers, for those of us that pass along others experiences to tell folks to use this service.

As to your posts - I am biting my tongue.

Rules of the City of New York (there about 6,000 of them) require the Operation of Parking Lots and Garages be licensed (Section 2-161) and there are a lot of things like having an attendant, posted rates, insurance etc.

The "valet service" seems to be a parking service and not a garage so I doubt there is any regulation of it by the city.

As most have posted in this thread the valet service is very new so I agree caution should be prudently used and Buyer beware!

I didn't find anything at all offensive about njhorseman's post. He is a knowledgeable and frequent poster on this forum. I'm the one that mentioned Valet Anywhere. Njhorseman merely pointed out that he is not yet ready to recommend that service which us a totally reasonable comment. There is really not yet enough reliable feedback on Valet Anywhere, particularly from the frequent Manhattan cruisers, for those of us that pass along others experiences to tell folks to use this service.

As to your posts - I am biting my tongue.

After that post, I would be very wary of this new service, which has only been touted by brand new posters. I'll continue parking at the pier.

Wow. This post is so lame. You're telling regular CC posters who have helped thousands over the years how Cruise Critic works? Hahahaha

Anybody who gives their car to someone not knowing where it is going is just plain stupid in my opinion, of course. It is also only my opinion but I would trust a regular on this board instead of someone who gives unsolicited endorsements.

njhorseman has 16,000 posts.

Ben.Nash has 3 and they all are about Valet Anywhere.

Not real difficult to determine whose opinion to trust more.

I have used both the port parking and Park Right and have had good experiences with both. For my upcoming cruise in June I will be using Park Right again to save some money. The last time I used them I dropped my luggage off at the pier then dropped my car off at their lot and walked back to the port. It is only a block or so, then when we got off the ship we just took our luggage and walked back to get the car.

• 3 weeks later...