Swapping out Champagne

number one eagles fan

Don't take my word as gospel, but 2 years ago our cabin steward was happy to exchange ours for a bottle of red wine. Last year when we asked if we could get a bottle of red instead we were told "no exchanges". I noticed the "brand" was Celebrity's own... not a recognizable label. We never did drink it.

I asked our steward last year and they cannot do a swap any longer. Simply go to guest relations and say you do not drink champagne. They will send a bottle of house wine to your room. It is from a good Napa winery and tastes just fine.

FWIW to those that think they are wine aficionados. The wine inside the Bota Box Old Vine Zin comes from Healdsburg's largest and first old vine zin producer.

We were on the Equinox last fall on a B2B2B. We consumed the complimentary bubby on the first leg but were able to have our room steward (Aqua stateroom) on the second leg and butler (Sky Suite) on the third leg exchange the bottles for a basic red. Exchanging those bottles of complimentary sparkling wine seems to be one of those inconsistent policies Celebrity is becoming known to have.

As you can see from previous posts, there are many different ways to try to exchange the bubbly for something more drinkable. We have been 100% successful in asking our wine steward at our first dinner if we could exchange it for something else if we bring the bottle with us the next night. (don't just bring the bottle). The response has been either, yes, I can exchange it for a house red or white....or I can give you a $28 credit towards another bottle of wine.

Others have asked their cabin attendant to do the exchange ( I believe that they are not supposed to do this any more). Apparently someone was successful in going to Guest Services and asking (probably the last place I would go...but if it works...).

My only advice is to be clear that you know they would be doing you a favor...don't go into the discussion assuming that they owe it to you or they must do it. This is one where being friendly and smiling seems to help.

As you can see from previous posts, there are many different ways to try to exchange the bubbly for something more drinkable. We have been 100% successful in asking our wine steward at our first dinner if we could exchange it for something else if we bring the bottle with us the next night. (don't just bring the bottle). The response has been either, yes, I can exchange it for a house red or white....or I can give you a $28 credit towards another bottle of wine.

Others have asked their cabin attendant to do the exchange ( I believe that they are not supposed to do this any more). Apparently someone was successful in going to Guest Services and asking (probably the last place I would go...but if it works...).

My only advice is to be clear that you know they would be doing you a favor...don't go into the discussion assuming that they owe it to you or they must do it. This is one where being friendly and smiling seems to help.

It really is amazing what being friendly and polite will do sometimes!

We just did an exchange 2 weeks ago on Eclipse. The room steward said he couldn't.

So DH took the sparkly bottle to the Wine cellar and he and the sommelier found it on the menu. I think he said it was $32 or thereabouts. Anyways, DH picked a comparable priced wine (reisling) and the cellar master guy called our mdr sommelier who had it ready for us at dinnertime. Took a little more effort than in the past, but it was done.:D

Don't take my word as gospel, but 2 years ago our cabin steward was happy to exchange ours for a bottle of red wine. Last year when we asked if we could get a bottle of red instead we were told "no exchanges". I noticed the "brand" was Celebrity's own... not a recognizable label. We never did drink it.

As an FYI, I believe the Celebrity Cellars wines are from Kendall Jackson.

This may sound trivial but is it possible to swap out the "complimentary" bottle of champagne found in the cabin upon arrival with a bottle of Asti Spumante? My husband and I are not fond of champagne and it usually goes to waste.

I'm not sure about Asti Spumante, but we've been able to trade in our room bubbly for a red or white wine or a $32 credit at one of the restaurants. An exchange via room steward seems to take a couple of days, but the credit is usually on the spot in a dining venue.

I always ask the sommelier in Aqua/Luminae if I can trade and the answer has always been "yes". In some cases a credit amount was put on our account, but most of the time we are told the value and are allowed to choose any wine on the menu up to that amount or pay the difference for a more expensive bottle. The allowance can vary; we've had a low of $28 and a high of $35 and everything in between. Working with the sommelier gives us the opportunity to make our own choice.