Do you take your camera to the beach?

LuCruise

Just as the title asks, do you take your camera to the beach? And if so, what do you do with it if you go in the water?

I definitely will want to take pictures at the beaches that we go to. We have 2 kids at different swimming levels so it's likely at times that that DH will be with one child in the water and I'll be with the other. We bought a waterproof pouch for our camera and other valuables (but I still have to test it first). Am still a bit nervous though that it'll come off (even though this one gets good reviews).

How about others? What do you do?

I take a point and shoot to the beach but don't leave it with no one watching it.

Keith

Yeah, I am assuming that most would just take a point and click. That's all we would bring to the beach too (and leave the good camera on the ship).

But what do you do wtih your camera while in the water?

Just as the title asks, do you take your camera to the beach? And if so, what do you do with it if you go in the water?

I definitely will want to take pictures at the beaches that we go to. We have 2 kids at different swimming levels so it's likely at times that that DH will be with one child in the water and I'll be with the other. We bought a waterproof pouch for our camera and other valuables (but I still have to test it first). Am still a bit nervous though that it'll come off (even though this one gets good reviews).

How about others? What do you do?

I always take a camera to the beach. As far as what to do with it when I'm in the water, it goes with me. No point in having a camera at the beach if you can't take pics of the fish too.

I have taken A DSLR to the beach. I'm just careful with it and makes sure our belongings are never unattended. This year I am bringing a GoPro Hero. How cool would that be to take in the water while your children are splashing around? You can even hand it to them and watch video of the cruise through their eyes.

I usually take my DSLR to the beach as I like to walk around and take pictures. If I'm not with it i keep it in it's camera bag, which is in a standard backpack as well as hooked to the chair leg and covered by towels/t-shirts-etc... to keep it out of sight. So if someone does want to steal it, their ether gona have to deal with the straps for a minute or two to free it, or they'll just grab it and find a chair following them down the beach. Neither is conducive to a crime of convenience.

Even when I do leave it, I don't go that far away.

I always take a camera to the beach. As far as what to do with it when I'm in the water, it goes with me. No point in having a camera at the beach if you can't take pics of the fish too.

Yes of course...if it's a waterproof camera, then bet you can get some awesome pictures.

But then I guess it's the same issue...what do you do with your belongings (e.g. sea pass, credit card, etc)?

I've taken extremely expensive cameras to the beach, and it can be a little nerve-wracking that sand can get in. I only take the "big" cameras if I'm not really planning on going into the water.

If I anticipate wanting to go into the water myself, I'll bring something smaller, and I'll stash it away in my bag when not in use.. along with my keys, passport, or whatever else. Yes, there is the risk it could get stolen, but if the bag got stolen, I'd be more worried about losing my passport than the camera.

I've taken my Canon 7D DSLR to the beach before, did that on our honeymoon cruise. Got some amazing pictures, but felt like I always had to watch it. Wife and I wouldn't go into the water at the same time to play.

Since then I've bought a Fujifilm XP80 for $140, and just carry it with me at all times (especially when I'm snorkelling!), and it's a lot more fun. I brought the Canon on our B2B a few weeks ago, and didn't take one picture with it.

There is a big difference in image quality, but looking through the XP80 pics brings me just as much joy remembering the cruise as looking through the Canon pics.

I won't bring the DSLR next time...

I've taken extremely expensive cameras to the beach, and it can be a little nerve-wracking that sand can get in. I only take the "big" cameras if I'm not really planning on going into the water.

If I anticipate wanting to go into the water myself, I'll bring something smaller, and I'll stash it away in my bag when not in use.. along with my keys, passport, or whatever else. Yes, there is the risk it could get stolen, but if the bag got stolen, I'd be more worried about losing my passport than the camera.

Why do you take your passport. Most of us leave our passports in the safe. If we feel that we need an ID, we take a copy of the passport. With regard to your keys, your room key would be your key card. This would hardly be useful to someone who might steal it.

BTW - I agree with those who say that they would not bring a good camera to the beach. Sand is a wonderful abrasive and will totally ruin the internal parts of your camera.

DON

Carry a gallon size good quality zip lock bag. Put in the camera and bury in the sand under your towel. Now go have fun. If it still there when you get back, you're one lucky guy...

I only take a camera to the beach if I just taking photos. If I'm going to the beach to enjoy the beach camera stays on the ship, car or home.

framer

I do, but my wife doesn't like to swim, so she's there to watch it. I literally will loop a strap around her leg. Good luck running off with her and the bag. :D At Maho Beach, I actually staked the umbrella through the straps.

My new bag (ThinkTank Airport Accelerator) has an integrated cable lock for affixing it to immobile (or at least unweildy) objects.

I just want to point out, for those that don't know, the older Go Pro models with the domed lens do not perform well underwater. I didn't realize until the second cruise. First one at Trunk Bay was a bad visibility day so I didn't know. Second time was a clear day and pics still came out blurry. Then I looked online and my model you have to swap out the domed lens for a flat one to get clear underwater pics. I guess the new ones are flat.

I just got a mirrorless camera. Was just using a point and shoot before. I get some of my best pics at the beach so why wouldn't I bring the nicer one? Then while on ship, with lower lighting, the point and shoot doesn't perform well, so I'd have to bring the newer one anyway. No point in bringing three cameras!

Yes of course...if it's a waterproof camera, then bet you can get some awesome pictures.

But then I guess it's the same issue...what do you do with your belongings (e.g. sea pass, credit card, etc)?

IDs, Credit Cards, Sea passes and cash are unaffected by salt water. They just stay in a pocket. If you want to keep them dry but them in a small zip lock bag. If someone wants my hat, T-shirt, towel or sunglasses, they need them worse than I do.

Why take a passport? Most people leave them on the ship in their hand luggage, a few put them in the safes.

Why take a passport? Most people leave them on the ship in their hand luggage, a few put them in the safes.

Trying to remember whether I've actually taken my passport or not... I believe I've been to 1 or 2 ports where it was required, though I could be imagining it.

Still, if not passports, I always carry a wallet.

IDs, Credit Cards, Sea passes and cash are unaffected by salt water. They just stay in a pocket. If you want to keep them dry but them in a small zip lock bag. If someone wants my hat, T-shirt, towel or sunglasses, they need them worse than I do.

That's good to know. Didn't realize that cash isn't affected by salt water.

Yeah, I wouldn't care too much if someone took my bathing suit cover ups and towel, etc. :D

I frequently take my good camera to the beach. I keep it out of site, and usually strap it to a table or something so it's harder to just walk off with the bag.

I like to get up and walk around and take photos. Iguanas, palm trees, landscapes, locals etc. A cruise is too good a photo op to leave the big guns behind! It's totally worth the hassle to have a good camera.

Even on cruises where we have just gone as a couple...we meet people and we're usually with a group, so there's frequently someone we trust who's not in the water with us.

That said, I ALWAYS have a gopro in my pocket. 100% all the time. It's hands down the most versatile piece of photo gear I own.

I recommend one of the newer ones with the flat lens, for the best underwater performance. Don't forget Anti-Fog inserts and a spare battery.