Boat Hair - Is there a remedy?

true45

I had a Brazilian Blowout a few days before my cruise as my hair will frizz up with any humidity.  It's the perfect antidote to a cruise and dries quickly!  Highly recommend!  I wish it lasted longer but it was so, so worth it.

• Thanks 1

I found in the years following my original post that O WAY natural products work for me especially the smoothing conditioner when I wear my hair straight and the clay to define my waves when I give up on straightening 😀👩🏻‍🦳 

Celebrity hair products are not bad — I think it is the water that I’m fighting and dry indoor air.  I couldn’t wear my contact lenses onboard because of the dry air.  

I know it is not the end of the world if I’m frizzy but I do try to be presentable.  Happy sailing everyone and thanks.  Maybe your new suggestions will work better than mine.

Edited by true45

Thanks to genetics, my hair is flat and limp no matter where I am - home, at sea, rain, sun, on another planet for all I know.   I've come to the conclusion that I cannot fight it or fix it, so just stay happy and Cruise! Who cares?  

Before a cruise, I get my hair cut shorter than usual.  I bring my own products. Like Living Proof no frizz humidity spray. I also bring my own soap.  On the last Celebrity cruise, the soap was rough.  If you depend on a hair dryer, bring your own. The one in the cabin is terrible. It makes my hair look and feel like straw.  On a cruise, I let my hair air dry.

OK, I'm one of the few people who LOVE what happens to my hair on a cruise...

I have long, thick, wavy but not curly hair.

I bring my own shampoo and conditioner because I am very allergic to the lathering agent (cocamidylpropyl betaine) in most shampoos.  But, before I had this allergy I used the ship's shampoos and conditioners and still had good results.

I always air dry my hair, I have no idea how to use a hair dryer and I'm sure I'd get a frizz ball.  When I'm on a cruise my hair is wavy, pretty, easy to manage... my husband often jokes with me about getting "cruise water" put in our home shower!  (We do have a softener at home.)

I also do notice the puffiness and swelling on a cruise, I thought it was just all the salty food, but maybe it IS the water?!

I'm with the_dylaness - I LOVE how my naturally wavy curl looks when we cruise! If I straighten it I find it's sleeker thanks to the soft water (I do bring all my own products and my blow dryer and straightener from home) but when I leave it curly, I have the best hair days! I always joke that I'm going to bring home a 2L bottle of cruise ship shower water...someday I just might, lol. 

I love my cruise hair, too. My hair is fine and straight and I have a short, textured, shaggy type cut. I get my hair cut and colored about a week before our cruise. I found a product called Redken NBD (no blow dry, no big deal), which I use daily and I just sit out on the veranda and fluff dry my hair. Sometimes I spritz some hairspray to keep it in place, more or less.

• 2 months later...

If you do Keritin  and swim..all could be for naught!

Would rather frizz on board and re group post cruise!

Product`I have used for years has changed the formula, so all I can do is hope for the best!

Has anyone tried the keratase(? ) Salon on EDGE?

Edited by hcat

19 minutes ago, girljerk said:

I always bring my own hair care products. I like the It’s a 10 line. I also use leave in conditioner daily. Of course, what works for me might not work for someone else. I have thick curly hair.

Leaving in  a bit of conditioner  is a great tip! My hairdresser just suggested that for the cruise.

I always take my own Wen Cleansing Conditioners for my hair whenever I cruise. The ship provided shampoos and conditioners on most ships and in most hotels is too drying and also strips color. I also take my own hairdryer which shortens the drying time significantly (9 minutes as opposed to 55minutes). When all else fails, I pull it back.

• Like 1