On-Board Spending

Justicedog

My understanding is that one just charges things to their sea pass. Is there any way to limit this ability for children who may go out on their own?

On-Board Credit - Other than drinks and spa treatments, what would "free" on board credits be spent on?

My understanding is that one just charges things to their sea pass. Is there any way to limit this ability for children who may go out on their own?

On-Board Credit - Other than drinks and spa treatments, what would "free" on board credits be spent on?

Yes, talk to guest services when you board the ship. Or set up a cash account for your child(ren).

Edited by Cuizer2

yes, and no. for some reason they cannot turn off the ability to spend money in the arcade. but you can definitely turn off charging privileges elsewhere(shops, bingo, etc)

You didn't say which cruise line you're going on. Many of the lines have similar items that you would spend money on, but a good way to find out for your ship is to check the cruise line's website. I find reading the FAQs often help (I go through the website before a cruise even if I'm repeating the same ship

It was only a couple of cruises ago that we allowed charging privileges on our daughter's card (she was 13 and 15 on those). Before, she would have to go through us to get a soda or other purchase. You'll have to check for your cruise line but I imagine you can decide whether or not to let your child buy things.

Don't know what cruise line - but on DCL, you can't "limit" the amounts. The charging privileges are either turned "on" or "off". As in you can charge whatever you want, or you can't charge anything.

RCI allows you to limit or block individual spending with each SeaPass card. And as indicated, on board credits (OBC) can be used for any on board purchases. The amount you have is simply applied as a credit towards your final on board account total.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

How old are your kids? If they're old enough to go places on their own, they're old enough for you to tell them what, if anything, they may buy!

I don't think the OP was looking for parenting advise. :rolleyes: I think they just want to understand what their options are regarding limiting purchases.

How old are your kids? If they're old enough to go places on their own, they're old enough for you to tell them what, if anything, they may buy!

I met a mother of three that I would not trust with an open account. Something her parents learned when they agreed to pay for her cell phone (this was before unlimited plans were invented). Even honest kids don't understand the financial realities of swiping a room key. One grandmother told me her 12 year old grandson was very nice on the cruise, buying drinks for all his new friends. After all, no money (that he could see) was involved. Fortunately she discovered what he was doing when the bill was still in the low hundreds.

Just because kids are responsible does not mean they understand the secret world of finances and credit cards. Given them $20 and they will understand what it means to have 6¢ left. Given them a open account that does not get visibly smaller and they may not understand.

Edited by Cuizer2

They will be 16 and 14. I know of plenty of 20, 30, 40, 50 + year olds who have gotten into trouble with just swiping a card, so I don't think it is necessary an age thing.

My kids have never been in the position of having an unlimited credit so I don't know how they would react to it. I know how I would expect them to react but that's no guarantee and why I would like to have some limit. As I've heard stories about adults getting their bill on the final night and being shocked, I would think it would be easy for a teenager to do so without really knowing.

I could see a situation like Cuizer2 described happening as I do expect my kids to be generous - if a friend is thirsty, get a drink, hungry, share their fries or whatever. I don't know that they're necessarily sophisticated enough to determine if they're being taken advantage of or not.

I don't know if it's easy to figure out what is an extra charg and what's included.

We would be going on RCI.

Thanks for the helpful information.

They will be 16 and 14.... I do expect my kids to be generous - if a friend is thirsty, get a drink, hungry, share their fries or whatever....

Just so you know, everything you've described is available on RCI for no extra charge. Your kids will love the Windjammer buffet and they can have all the free lemonade, iced tea, flavored waters, and french fries they desire, plus more of course. There are many, many no-fee items on a cruise ship; I think you'll just need to point the kids to them. :)

It's very easy to loose track of spending no matter what age you are. It amazes me that if you pay cash the cruise ship can cut your card off when you don't have any money left but yet have no means of putting a limit on your card!

If you are no good at budgeting and are likely to over spend the various packages do make sense.

My girls are 14 and they have cruised several times before (including on RCI). I have never set up an expense account for them, this way they cannot charge anything. There really isn't much they ever need, and when they do, they just ask me or my husband. We will be cruising next week on RCI and again I did not set up expense accounts. However, for the first time I will be getting them a drink package. They'll be happy with the freedom to get what they want, and I'll already know what it will cost. No unexpected charges :)