Someone please just tell me to take the plunge and commit

TXCruzing

My hubby and I are planning a cruise (his first, my second) for our 25th Anniversary in September. I am guilty of researching things to death. I have been lurking here and reading threads for months. I finally booked on Liberty of the Seas for a (I think) great fare in a Deluxe Oceanview w/Balcony on Deck 12. And I'm afraid to finalize it and pay the deposit. What if we hate being so far forward? What if my hubby (who has a fear of heights) won't go on the balcony because it is too high? What if it is the wrong ship for us? What if, what if, what if...

Is anyone else this crazy when it comes to booking. I know we are going to love the trip, but I get way too hung up on little details.

We love being as far forward as we can. Less people walking past. I'm terrified of heights but our balcony didn't bother me as long as I didn't lean over the edge. Both of you will love it no matter what! Although I also am guilty of staring at the booking screen and being afraid to hit the button. Relax, it'll be a fantastic vacation. Our last cruise was for our 10th anniversary :)

My hubby and I are planning a cruise (his first, my second) for our 25th Anniversary in September. I am guilty of researching things to death. I have been lurking here and reading threads for months. I finally booked on Liberty of the Seas for a (I think) great fare in a Deluxe Oceanview w/Balcony on Deck 12. And I'm afraid to finalize it and pay the deposit. What if we hate being so far forward? What if my hubby (who has a fear of heights) won't go on the balcony because it is too high? What if it is the wrong ship for us? What if, what if, what if...

Is anyone else this crazy when it comes to booking. I know we are going to love the trip, but I get way too hung up on little details.

Besides the easy reply, I will say we took our first cruise on our 25th anniversary and loved it. Look at my signature to see what happened.

Edited by BillOh

Yes, take the plunge. RCI (USA bookings) gives you a full deposit refund if you cancel at least 75 before the cruise, so you really have nothing to lose. If you don't book now, you might find the good cabins are not available. I suggest you drive down rather than fly. You can take more luggage, and it's an easy drive from Dallas down I-45, with speed limit 75mph much of the way. Drive down the day before and spend the night somewhere in Houston, Galveston, or between -- that way you'll be refreshed for day 1 of the cruise, and also allow some buffer time in case of car problems. Some Galveston hotels allow you park your car there, and either take a shuttle (sometimes free, sometimes a charge) or a cab (about $25 each way) to the ship. Also I suggest a passport if you both don't already have one.

Edited by Jimnbigd

You all touched on everything I needed to hear. Thank you! Time to pull the card out of the wallet and pay the deposit. And then stop researching other cruse lines, other dates, other cabins. Now I just need to figure out how to make one of those countdown clocks for my signature. ;)

Yes, take the plunge. RCI (USA bookings) gives you a full deposit refund if you cancel at least 75 before the cruise, so you really have nothing to lose. If you don't book now, you might find the good cabins are not available. I suggest you drive down rather than fly. You can take more luggage, and it's an easy drive from Dallas down I-45, with speed limit 75mph much of the way. Drive down the day before and spend the night somewhere in Houston, Galveston, or between -- that way you'll be refreshed for day 1 of the cruise, and also allow some buffer time in case of car problems. Some Galveston hotels allow you park your car there, and either take a shuttle (sometimes free, sometimes a charge) or a cab (about $25 each way) to the ship. Also I suggest a passport if you both don't already have one.

Thanks for the advice! We had already planned to drive, but I hadn't thought about going down the night before, or about parking at a hotel. Will definitely look into that option. I had been weighing the pros and cons on passports. I have a passport card from when I took a cruise with my sister a few years ago. I don't know if they even still do those.

You all touched on everything I needed to hear. Thank you! Time to pull the card out of the wallet and pay the deposit. And then stop researching other cruse lines, other dates, other cabins. Now I just need to figure out how to make one of those countdown clocks for my signature. ;)

Here's a link for the count-down clock: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=545140

Happy Cruising! :)

Grab the cruise and then think about it. If you find something you like better or, even if you second guess your decision and want out of it, nothing is final until you make the final payment.

We typically book a subsequent cruise either while on board a current one or when we see a good deal because it's much easier getting off the ship knowing you have something else to look forward to even if it's some time off.

I echo others.... go for it.

Then, do like the rest of us and watch the price and if it goes down call and try to get a better deal :D

Tom

Sounds like you're worried about the cabin, not the cruise.

my hubby (who has a fear of heights) won't go on the balcony because it is too high

I suggest you pick a different cabin and go enjoy your cruise.

Hey neighbor!

We are taking our anniversary cruise in November. It's a few weeks after the actual date, but the rate was better and we want to be past hurricane season.

Seems as though most the Galveston hotels that offer shuttle service are becoming very expensive and/or require a two night stay. We stay the night in Texas City (about $70) and use 81 Dolphin Parking ($55) which is only 2-3 blocks from terminal.

We also use a travel agent instead of the cruise line. They always offer more perks. For example they gave us $700 onboard credit for our upcoming April cruise and Royal would only give us $300! Cabin price was exactly the same to the penny.

Do a little more research and book that cruise!

Thanks for the advice! We had already planned to drive, but I hadn't thought about going down the night before, or about parking at a hotel. Will definitely look into that option. I had been weighing the pros and cons on passports. I have a passport card from when I took a cruise with my sister a few years ago. I don't know if they even still do those.

Definitely a great idea to arrive into Galveston the day before and stay where parking for the week is included in your rate. (And possibly a complimentary breakfast and shuttle service). Wake refreshed, have breakfast, and get to the port with no worries. Check out the Gulf Coast Departures forum here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=414. Or also sites such as parksleepfly dot com. Enjoy your cruise and happy anniversary!

I know how you feel. I worried about so many things before I booked, and then I worried about so many things after I booked up to walking on the ship. Then the ship started to move, and we had the best 25th anniversary I could have ever imagined. All the things I worried about just disappeared...I predict the same thing will happen to you. Have a great time!!!

Heights are rarely an issue at sea, the flat ocean and the lack of any reference makes it impossible to sense how high you are.

I remember the first time I saw flying fish, I thought they were dragonflies because there's no sense of distance or perspective.

In port is a different story.