Booked the Vista. Ports are not the best.

deborahjo

Looks like we will be spending time on the Vista on my April cruise next year. I can do Cozumel and can tolerate Grand Cayman but hate Ocho Rios.

But always love the ship when it is empty so it looks like we will be able to explore the Vista.

Has any one else booked a ship but disliked the ports?

I booked the 11/27/16 cruise on the Vista and I'm not head over heels with going to Nassau. But I'm very excited to go to Grand Turk again as it was one of the highlights of our last cruise on the Sunshine. TBH, I'm happy to get on the Vista no matter where she's going!

Not sure why one would book a cruise with ports they were not thrilled about. But that is just me.

I booked the same itinerary but not thrilled about those ports either. I booked mainly because of the ship. Unlike the OP, I am still looking forward to every port regardless. And the only one I can do without is Grand Cayman.

What I really want to know is why this thread was moved to the Ask a Cruise Question section instead of Under the Carnival Vista tab.

We sailed the Caribbean so many times, it wasn't unusual for us to remain on the ship in a number of ports. We stopped going ashore at any port in Jamaica years ago. We almost never went ashore in Grand Cayman either. :)

Enjoy the beautiful ship. You won't be alone. Plenty of folks either go ashore for just a short while or don't leave the ship at all.

Not sure why one would book a cruise with ports they were not thrilled about. But that is just me.

After being in the Caribbean for about 40+ years, we have favorite islands and others we don't care about. We come from cold Northeast and in winter cruise to get out of the weather and enjoy sun and fun on the ship. If we like a port, great. If not, we love the ships. :)

I wouldn't mind one port I wasn't looking forward to but would need the rest to be places I was excited about....exception would be extebded family cruises where others made the plans and we just hopped on to their choices....then the trip has another dimension that is more important...

Looks like we will be spending time on the Vista on my April cruise next year. I can do Cozumel and can tolerate Grand Cayman but hate Ocho Rios.

But always love the ship when it is empty so it looks like we will be able to explore the Vista.

Has any one else booked a ship but disliked the ports?

Yes and no.

I've booked a cruise with the express intention of spending little if any time in Port.

Simply because We need a break and the only availability was Ports we had visited many times before.

In fact our next cruise is a bit like that. Want a cruise, done the itinerary many times before, so not Ports we dislike, but still may stay in the ship anyway.

This past January we took a cruise. If we booked it for the ports we would not have taken it. We just wanted to get away and it worked best for our cruise.

As to Ocho Rios, my advice is to make it a sea day. In other words, enjoy the ship while many are off the ship.

I love most places around the world, but I do not care for Ocho Rios.

Keith

Husband has mobility issues so anything like Dunns River is totally out.

I did not mean to complain. I was just wondering. I love spending time on an empty ship.

I was just going to add that many folks with mobility issues stay on board at tender ports such as Grand Cayman and Belize. I was going to suggest that you look for an excursion in OR and instead stay on board and explore the ship while in Grand Cayman.

Have you done Dunn's River Falls? That is the only thing worth doing in Jamaica! Check it on Google and look here for other things to do in Jamaica.

However, we now stay on the ship there too!

Jamaica has some of the nicest all inclusive resorts that make for a great day pass. There are also plenty of other things to see and do there. Now Dunns River Falls IS nice. Alot of fun. But not for everyone. I disagree though that it's the only thing worth getting off the ship for at this stop. However if a person has been to a port - especially more than once and not a big fan of it - it's definitely nice to stay on the ship.

I wouldn't mind doing that with Grand Cayman, but when we went before the kids weren't with us. They will be this time. We will at least tender over and shop a bit so they can see the place.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

In three weeks we are sailing - we have been to all of the ports, one we stay at for a couple of weeks every year, another we have no use for. The point of the exercise is to get away from the northeast in February - no flight, just a drive of less than an hour to embarkation. We are not that crazy about the ship either, but any selection of a cruise depends on one or more of a number of variables: itinerary, dates, ship, price, ease of getting to the port, etc. ; if you waited until every variable was exactly the way you wanted, you would never sail.

Jamaica has some of the nicest all inclusive resorts that make for a great day pass. There are also plenty of other things to see and do there. Now Dunns River Falls IS nice. Alot of fun. But not for everyone. I disagree though that it's the only thing worth getting off the ship for at this stop. However if a person has been to a port - especially more than once and not a big fan of it - it's definitely nice to stay on the ship.

I wouldn't mind doing that with Grand Cayman, but when we went before the kids weren't with us. They will be this time. We will at least tender over and shop a bit so they can see the place.

To me I would rather stay on the ship in GC than stay in town with kids. I would suggest either an excursion to see and swim with the stingrays or making it a beach day.

To me I would rather stay on the ship in GC than stay in town with kids. I would suggest either an excursion to see and swim with the stingrays or making it a beach day.

I think we may do that amphibious bus tour. Or the beach. Some quick duty free for hubby and I. Then back on the ship. We have no interest in the sting rays or turtle farm. Just not our thing.

The beach is a great idea though.