Flip Flops in the MDR

deladane

i.e. just like every other night, wear whatever you feel like.

Ignore that joke line about enforcement, - hasn't happened yet, why would they start now?

Funny how you cut half the dress code out that speaks specifically to flip flops. Lol. Pinocchio still has his strings and you are Pinocchio.

Flip flops in dress code in my opinion are referring to beach/pool flip flops. There's a big difference between fancy evening thong sandals and pool flip flops. I don't see any difference between high heeled full strap sandals and evening flip flops, you can still see the whole of the foot.

Flip flops in dress code in my opinion are referring to beach/pool flip flops. There's a big difference between fancy evening thong sandals and pool flip flops. I don't see any difference between high heeled full strap sandals and evening flip flops, you can still see the whole of the foot.

Quite simply put: Flip flops do not have high heels. They're flats.

Funny how you cut half the dress code out that speaks specifically to flip flops. Lol. Pinocchio still has his strings and you are Pinocchio.

nope problem is how you're defining "flip flops" as anything in a thong style, while flip flops are the cheapy rubber one's you buy for $3 at the drugstore and thong-style sandals are perfectly appropriate. You're inflexible, behind the times and obviously oblivious to modern fashion. :P

Nail on the head there.

And I've also seen people turned away from the MDR on formal nights on Carnival. Those turned away did complain, but the maitre'd showed them a copy of the dress code rules. At that point the passengers just walked away.

The problem isn't what we all think the code should be, it's clearly written out, it's the enforcement of it. Many members on this site complain about how much Carnival is "low end" or "cheap", but Carnival tends to enforce most of their rules. Whereas the "high end" cruise lines do not, other than the obvious like no shorts.

If the cruise lines are going to say "XYZ" is the appropriate dress, then they need to follow through on it 100% or not at all. it's the lack of that enforcement that these types of threads appear on here and cause the bickering. Personally, when I am on someone else's property, I follow their rules.

Could you imagine if they enforced embarkation or disembarkation in the same manner in how they enforced the dress code in the MDR? How insane would it be for them?

Either enforce the rules in their entirety or don't. They need to stop picking and choosing how they want they want to handle it. Period.

This is the absolute truth Kevin!

I just can't understand why people just can't follow the rules. You knew the rules when you booked but then people have to try to cherry pick the rules that they would like to follow. If it says not to wear flip flops - DON'T wear them, regardless of cost or bling. A flip flop IS a FLIP FLOP - Dior or not.

You are not supposed to save sun loungers and YET a whole ton of people get out before dawn to do so. Just DON'T. If you butt isn't in it for the allotted time - then DON'T do it.

Jeez people - rude is rude.

If it says not to wear flip flops - DON'T wear them, regardless of cost or bling. A flip flop IS a FLIP FLOP - Dior or not.

You are not supposed to save sun loungers and YET a whole ton of people get out before dawn to do so. Just DON'T. If you butt isn't in it for the allotted time - then DON'T do it.

Jeez people - rude is rude.

What the girl has on her feet has absolutely zero impact on me. Saving a chair all day so that I can't use it, does have an impact.

I have never seen a persons feet in the dining room; I sit in my chair, not crawling under tables:D

What the girl has on her feet has absolutely zero impact on me. Saving a chair all day so that I can't use it, does have an impact.

I have never seen a persons feet in the dining room; I sit in my chair, not crawling under tables:D

Again, and as Jane pointed out, it's about following the rules, not what impact it may or may not have on you or anyone.

I only requoted the part about evening chic. But why bother quoting the part where they are going to turn you away for flip flops - it hasn't happened, its not going to happen. They make these codes and don't enforce. Still waiting for someone to post how they were turned away over a judgement call like type of footwear.

And, going 14 pages back to post #1: not a chance in the world that this couple is going to be turned away from the MDR on ANY night, so, to answer the original question, go ahead and wear them, no problem.

Again, and as Jane pointed out, it's about following the rules, not what impact it may or may not have on you or anyone.

Blind adherence to pointless rules that have no impact on others or on health or safety is not really a plus in my book. It's just lemming mentality.

Edited by LMaxwell

Agreed. Flip-flop is a rather nebulous term--the intent of the dress code policy to me is to ban flip-flops that you'd wear to the pool, not thong sandals a reasonable person would wear to dinner at a mid-range restaurant.

I love this thread and I want it to live forever. Can we talk about whether fashionable/dressy rompers worn with high heeled sandals or booties are appropriate for smart casual nights next?

And, going 14 pages back to post #1: not a chance in the world that this couple is going to be turned away from the MDR on ANY night, so, to answer the original question, go ahead and wear them, no problem.

Which is fine advice until they do start enforcing the dress code for whatever reason. And you don't know that they won't or don't. It's in the published rules. To tell someone that they should ignore the rule is setting them up for heartache.

Simply not true, especially at the MDR.

No kidding. I don't understand the people who are saying "you will be in the minority". It's not true. You will see a little bit of EVERYTHING. Yes, you will see ball gowns and tuxes, you will also see dresses and suits, you will see bad bridesmaids dresses from weddings obviously the woman was forced to be in, you will see ties worn with wrinkled Dickies shirts on young men who maybe recently outgrew their only suit, you will see elderly ladies in Tender Tootsies, stretch polyester pants and t-shirts with sequins sewn on to make it look 'dressy', and if my 90 year old father were on the ship he would definitely be wearing his favourite jump suit that looked like something out of Star Trek -- yes I said jump suit, bless his heart and may he rest in peace. Boy he loved to cruise.

My point? Everyone will be having a lovely time except for the "Formal Night Police" who will be wasting their evening poo-poo-ing the uncouth and feeling very pleased with themselves and their criticisms.

Blind adherence to pointless rules that have no impact on others or on health or safety is not really a plus in my book. It's just lemming mentality.

Blind adherence? No. Just simply following the rules as put forth by the cruise line? Yes.

You cannot get any simpler than that.

Agreed. Flip-flop is a rather nebulous term--the intent of the dress code policy to me is to ban flip-flops that you'd wear to the pool, not thong sandals a reasonable person would wear to dinner at a mid-range restaurant.

I love this thread and I want it to live forever. Can we talk about whether fashionable/dressy rompers worn with high heeled sandals or booties are appropriate for smart casual nights next?

A flip-flop is defined as "a light sandal, typically of plastic or rubber, with a thong between the big and second toe." If that is the type of shoe you're wearing, MDR rules do not allow it.

Does anyone else find it interesting that so many men here seem to have a deep interest and emotional investment in woman's shoes?

:D:D I was surprised too that some of the combatants here were guys. For me I do not have any interest or emotional investment in woman's shoe's. I do however have a deep financial investment in my DW shoes.:eek:

If my DW decided to wear a shoe similar the OP on our next X cruise; 1) I would not know if it was a flip flop, a thong sandal, a strappy sandal, or whatever, and 2) even if I did figure it out there is no way in heck I would dare tell her she couldn't wear them - I don't want to be one of those people who "fall" off a ship!;)

Does anyone else find it interesting that so many men here seem to have a deep interest and emotional investment in woman's shoes?

:D:D I was surprised too that some of the combatants here were guys. For me I do not have any interest or emotional investment in woman's shoe's. I do however have a deep financial investment in my DW shoes.:eek:

If my DW decided to wear a shoe similar the OP on our next X cruise; 1) I would not know if it was a flip flop, a thong sandal, a strappy sandal, or whatever, and 2) even if I did figure it out there is no way in heck I would dare tell her she couldn't wear them - I don't want to be one of those people who "fall" off a ship!;)

Men wear flip-flops, too, you know.

Just sayin'.

Edited by K.T.B.

Quite simply put: Flip flops do not have high heels. They're flats.

image of thong (flip flop) style sandal with a heel

31EJPUQsG3L._AA160_.jpg

I personally would not wear this to the beach - would most likely end up with a broken ankle. Would be acceptable to wear, to dinner in the MDR. However, I would most likely end up with broken ankle - but, at least I would feel fashionable.

Edited by sleepless

Bravo John

Just a little bit of a rant...

In my social circle and among those who know me, I'm very much a non-conformist. Nothing outrageous (for example, I'm typically barefoot), just hate some of the nonsensical rules put in place so as to not offend some thin skinned individual. I read a while ago, maybe even on this cruise forum, about a man who wrote a 4 paragraph rage about how his entire cruise was ruined RUINED! (his word) because some teenager wore a baseball cap to the formal night. I don't know the exact circumstance, but a seemingly minor faux pas committed by some kid (inattentive parents?) ruined an entire cruise? Just how shallow and pretentious is this individual (as well as some of the respondents in this post)? I mean, geeze people, get a life!

If that offends anyone, maybe the flip flop fits?

John

Edited by LV Naturist