18% Gratuities Concern

FranknBeans

I just got off the Jewel and the service was so slow it was annoying. I believe if I leave a tip it should go to the person I believe I tipped. I don't believe NCL uses my money the way I expect it to be used so I removed the daily gratuity and used cash. I sent in the removal form yesterday and got a confirmation it was received.

It is none of my business what crew members earn. It is my business if they receive the tip I leave for them. I used cash at breakfast and lunch and the when the same server served me the service was noticeably improved. Dinner I didn't tip extra since I already paid 18% in the upcharge. I also tipped the steward in cash and he seemed quite pleased.

No one has said they aren't getting their money. The issue is are they getting the 18% gratuity that passengers are paying. I have read credible reports that the bar staff is now paid a salary. The other side of the equation is does NCL pay the surplus out at the end of a given period of time or do they keep it. I haven't read anything about that so haven't drawn any conclusions. But because it is called a gratuity the staff should be receiving 100% of the money. It really is that simple. (And it takes time to find a new job. The last time I was dissatisfied enough with a job to look for a new one it took a year and a half to land a new one.)

Nobody was carping about it when it was 15%.

Why are people now so concerned?

I wouldn't say that. When they were getting the 15% they were, as far as I know, receiving all of the 15%. Had there been reports back then of the bar staff receiving only a salary I would have been saying the same thing that I am saying now. This started when NCL raised the gratuity to 18% and then started charging 18% to those receiving a free promotion. Shortly after that started we began reading threads where the bar staff was reporting they are now on salary and are no longer receiving the gratuity. I will say it once again- if this in fact a gratuity than the staff deserves ALL of it. If it's not a gratuity than NCL should change their language accordingly.

Edited by sparks1093

We have been eating in specialty restaurants since 2008 and have never seen 15% or any amt added for grats. and so we always tipped cash.Maybe your referring to bar service. NCL only started to add the 18% to restaurants when they came out with all the all-inclusive pkgs.

Edited by FranknBeans

How do you know the crew are okay with it. You have stated repeatedly you do not care about such matters. NCL is taking their money as corporate income.
How do you know they aren't alright with it? With the many new builds, especially mega ships, if they are or were not happy, there were a lot of other cruise lines they could have gone to. When you take your second NCL cruise, why not ask some of the crew members how long they have worked for NCL, I think you will find that many, many of them have been with them for some time.

And you are correct, I don't care how the money is split up, because that is between the cruise line and the employees, not between the cruise lines, the employees and the passengers.

Edited by NLH Arizona

How do you know they aren't alright with it? With the many new builds, especially mega ships, if they are or were not happy, there were a lot of other cruise lines they could have gone to.

And you are correct, I don't care how the money is split up, because that is between the cruise line and the employees, not between the cruise lines, the employees and the passengers.

For the service charges I agree. The 18% added graituity no, that belongs to the crew, not corporate. I am not tipping corporate, I am tipping the staff.

I just got off the Jewel and the service was so slow it was annoying. I believe if I leave a tip it should go to the person I believe I tipped. I don't believe NCL uses my money the way I expect it to be used so I removed the daily gratuity and used cash. I sent in the removal form yesterday and got a confirmation it was received.

It is none of my business what crew members earn. It is my business if they receive the tip I leave for them. I used cash at breakfast and lunch and the when the same server served me the service was noticeably improved. Dinner I didn't tip extra since I already paid 18% in the upcharge. I also tipped the steward in cash and he seemed quite pleased.

I totally agree.

For the service charges I agree. The 18% added graituity no, that belongs to the crew, not corporate. I am not tipping corporate, I am tipping the staff.
Then the solution should be easy for you, remove all the tips from the beverage service, specialty restaurant service and tip in cash. I'm sure if you go to the Hotel Director and explain that you feel NCL is screwing their employees and not giving them all the 18%'s, he or she will be more than happy to take those gratuities/service charges off your bill, as I've found NCL to be very accommodating when a passenger has an issue with something on the ships. By doing this, not only have you found a solution to your issue, but you have let NCL know your feelings.

Then the solution should be easy for you, remove all the tips from the beverage service, specialty restaurant service and tip in cash. I'm sure if you go to the Hotel Director and explain that you feel NCL is screwing their employees and not giving them all the 18%'s, he or she will be more than happy to take those gratuities/service charges off your bill, as I've found NCL to be very accommodating when a passenger has an issue with something on the ships. By doing this, not only have you found a solution to your issue, but you have let NCL know your feelings.

Good idea but they won't handle it on the ship now; they will just hand you a form to do it after. So the Hotel Director will just give you the form. They aren't going to handle anything for anyone onboard no matter the concern or severity of issue.

You realize that giving two hoots about the crew does not require knowing the internal financial policies of NCL, right?

Just do what you feel is right. Tip how you like. But don't expect that everyone needs your self righteous indignation. We don't. Contrary to your own sense of self importance, you do not speak for everyone.

We have always tipped cash as we see fit in the speciality restaurants, but I'm not about to double tip when I'm told by NCL that they are and 18%. Bottom line I want to know where my money is going. I pay it therefore I have the right to know.

You don't get the point of my post which is that the staff are hard working, probably harder workers than we the cruiser's work and most of us know that we would not and probably could not do there jobs let alone put up with the BS they have to from passengers and just yes sir.

What a pantload.

If they weren't getting their money they wouldn't be there.

Even you wouldn't clean other people's toilets for no pay.

Take your blinders off buddy! The staff cannot afford to jeopardize their source of income and therefore too scared to speak out. Unlike us who have the choice of organizing a union.

The question is are those charges removable? I don't believe that I've read of anyone removing them. In any event the crew is still getting shafted and NCL doesn't need to be told about it because they are the ones doing it.

. I pay it therefore I have the right to know.

How on earth did you make this connection?

You would LIKE to know, but you don't have a RIGHT to know. About the only thing you can do is take your business elsewhere if you disagree with the public-facing policies of the cruise line. Hopefully, you are able to find another vacation provider that is more transparent.

Rights. You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Good idea but they won't handle it on the ship now; they will just hand you a form to do it after. So the Hotel Director will just give you the form. They aren't going to handle anything for anyone onboard no matter the concern or severity of issue.
It is the DSC that they don't handle on the ship anymore and that is not what is being suggested. How do you know they wouldn't handle removing the 18%s from the bars and restaurants on the ships....have you ever asked. Who says there is any form for this, have you or anyone else tried and been given a form or been told no? I don't believe anyone has probably ever tried to remove the 18%'s, they just talk about having an issue with it on here, so no one knows if there is a form or not. When you go on your second NCL cruise, why not ask the Hotel Director if you can remove it, while telling him exactly why you have an issue with it. If I had such an issue with it as some on here do, you can bet your bottom dollar I would have already spoken to the Hotel Director and demanded that the 18% be taken off my bill and if that didn't work, I would be calling and writing corporate until they refunded me my money.

If I leave a $20 tip for a waitress and she pockets the whole amount she gets paid. If I leave a $20 tip for a waitress and the restaurant keeps $10 of it, she still gets paid. But I have a problem with the second scenario. I think most people would.

I was told many years ago that if you tip in cash he or she pockets the money. If you put it on the bill then it is supposedly put in the pot to be divided up.

(snip)

You don't get the point of my post which is that the staff are hard working, probably harder workers than we the cruiser's work and most of us know that we would not and probably could not do there jobs let alone put up with the BS they have to from passengers and just yes sir.

What a load of bovine feces. Many cruisers save up their pennies and bust their butts for years in mediocre jobs to take their families on a well deserved cruise. Many of us here are military retirees and veterans who busted our tails for low wages and were away from our families for even longer than the cruise workers have contracts for.

It really busts my gizzards when people act like cruise workers are some kind of slave labor who aren't capable of making adult decision about work and life.

The question is are those charges removable? I don't believe that I've read of anyone removing them. In any event the crew is still getting shafted and NCL doesn't need to be told about it because they are the ones doing it.
Since no one will has probably ask that the 18%s be reimbursed to them, I guess it really isn't that much of an issue after all and I'm sure that is what NCL is thinking. There is a big different in voicing your displeasure with it on here, versus doing something about it when you are on the ship.

What a load of bovine feces. Many cruisers save up their pennies and bust their butts for years in mediocre jobs to take their families on a well deserved cruise. Many of us here are military retirees and veterans who busted our tails for low wages and were away from our families for even longer than the cruise workers have contracts for.

It really busts my gizzards when people act like cruise workers are some kind of slave labor who aren't capable of making adult decision about work and life.

This x 1000.

I would say that you, in the US have an exponentially higher chance of finding work anywhere than these people do. It's not as easy as Arizona says "just go to another line". i have very dear friend from NCL who carries a University degree, and has worked his butt off all of his life, and though he's more than qualified for jobs around the world (there are none at home), he can't get through the first door because as he says his "passport has the value of toilet paper".

So, they suck it up, watch their benefits and income eroding and carry on. That doesn't mean they're happy about it. And BTW, for those that say they signed up for it, that's not true. What they signed up for was a portion of the tips, and the full benefit plan they used to get.

It is the DSC that they don't handle on the ship anymore and that is not what is being suggested. How do you know they wouldn't handle removing the 18%s from the bars and restaurants on the ships....have you ever asked. Who says there is any form for this, have you or anyone else tried and been given a form or been told no? I don't believe anyone has probably ever tried to remove the 18%'s, they just talk about having an issue with it on here, so no one knows if there is a form or not. When you go on your second NCL cruise, why not ask the Hotel Director if you can remove it, while telling him exactly why you have an issue with it. If I had such an issue with it as some on here do, you can bet your bottom dollar I would have already spoken to the Hotel Director and demanded that the 18% be taken off my bill and if that didn't work, I would be calling and writing corporate until they refunded me my money.

Since no one will has probably ask that the 18%s be reimbursed to them, I guess it really isn't that much of an issue after all and I'm sure that is what NCL is thinking. There is a big different in voicing your displeasure with it on here, versus doing something about it when you are on the ship.

If enough people asked for it to be removed and it was then I am sure that there would be a form forthcoming:). Yes, were I on an NCL cruise I would ask that the 18% be removed.

If enough people asked for it to be removed and it was then I am sure that there would be a form forthcoming:). Yes, were I on an NCL cruise I would ask that the 18% be removed.
My point was that people have an issue with it on here, but no one will stand up for their convictions and ask that it be removed and tell a Hotel Director why, so why would NCL think anyone has an issue with it. If enough folks have an issue, which I highly doubt that there are really that many that have a problem with it, there could be change, but if no one lets the company know their feelings, there will be no change, because they think everything is A okay. It is really easy for some to talk the talk, but it is way more important to walk the walk in my estimation.

BTW, if they had to create a form, that would not be a bad thing, it would just show them that folks have an issue with it.

Edited by NLH Arizona

My point was that people have an issue with it on here, but no one will stand up for their convictions and ask that it be removed and tell a Hotel Director why, so why would NCL think anyone has an issue with it. If enough folks have an issue, which I highly doubt that there are really that many that have a problem with it, there could be change, but if no one lets the company know their feelings, there will be no change, because they think everything is A okay. It is really easy for some to talk the talk, but it is way more important to walk the walk in my estimation.

BTW, if they had to create a form, that would not be a bad thing, it would just show them that folks have an issue with it.

The vast majority of NCL's passengers aren't even aware that it's an issue- they presume that the gratuity is going to whom it is supposed to be going.

And yes, as evidenced by the responses on this thread there are many that don't care at all and are just fine with the practice.

The vast majority of NCL's passengers aren't even aware that it's an issue- they presume that the gratuity is going to whom it is supposed to be going.

And yes, as evidenced by the responses on this thread there are many that don't care at all and are just fine with the practice.

There is a big difference in asking how the 18%s are split up at a meet and greet and asking the Hotel Director to remove it from your account. It certainly sounds like you would walk the walk instead of just talking the talk, if you go on another NCL cruise, and I'm sure everyone would love to hear what happens. Edited by NLH Arizona