18% Gratuities Concern

FranknBeans

We arrived home from 14 day Breakaway cruise yesterday and had attended the Q&A with the officers, the captain, hotel director and engineer attended.

Someone asked in the audience how the DSC was divided up and the reply from hotel director was correct.

Then someone asked about how the new 18% gratuity was divided up and the hotel director would not divulge the info and after a couple of attempts at pushing for the info his reply was that the info doesn't have to be divulged and that NCL is a publicly traded company and has to answer to its shareholders.

I personally find this a quite shady reply especially after he answered about the DSC. This to me explains why when you ask staff which we did a few times on the cruise that they say know nothing about it, so I don't feel that it's a situation of the staff giving that reply in order to get more tips.

I would like others to pursue this question with officers as well when sailing.

We arrived home from 14 day Breakaway cruise yesterday and had attended the Q&A with the officers, the captain, hotel director and engineer attended.

Someone asked in the audience how the DSC was divided up and the reply from hotel director was correct.

Then someone asked about how the new 18% gratuity was divided up and the hotel director would not divulge the info and after a couple of attempts at pushing for the info his reply was that the info doesn't have to be divulged and that NCL is a publicly traded company and has to answer to its shareholders.

I personally find this a quite shady reply especially after he answered about the DSC. This to me explains why when you ask staff which we did a few times on the cruise that they say know nothing about it, so I don't feel that it's a situation of the staff giving that reply in order to get more tips.

I just don't get it. When you leave a tip in a restaurant do you ask how much they tip out to the barback, how much they tip out to the bartender, how much they tip out to the busses etc.

Just get on the ship and enjoy the cruise GEEZ

Never ceases to amaze how fixated some are on what others earn and tipping.

But hey that's probably just me.

I don't care what they earn but I would like to know that they get what they earn especially when I am compelled to pay it.

Edited by sparks1093

I just don't get it. When you leave a tip in a restaurant do you ask how much they tip out to the barback, how much they tip out to the bartender, how much they tip out to the busses etc.

We aren't talking tipping out because the restaurant itself isn't supposed to get any of the tip, so the restaurant can't be tipped out.

It's none of your business and to be honest I find that rude to put the HC on the spot, double rude to ask crew members.

The HC and officers do not put a restriction on what may be asked. To answer the first question about the service charge and then to dodge the question about the 18% is, well, dodgey.

I wonder if someone had said, "I'm a shareholder. Can you answer it now," what the response would have been. :)

Curious: How is the DSC divided?

I find the refusal to answer to be...interesting. They are imposing a tip but refusing to tell where it goes. There's something just not right about that. It's less of an issue for me about who gets what, though I would hope those who serve us get the tip. It's the idea that it's a gratuity and that absolutely implies something specific.

With that said, the 18% is called a gratuity AND service charge. Service charge could mean whatever and the split of the two could be whatever.

Given this is how they do things, I would rather they just call the dog on thing a straight up service charge. That way there's no/less expectation that it's going to be used in a particular way.

You asked a question and you were politely reminded that it is none of your business. Your continued asking of the same question was rude on your part.

Firstly reread my post I did NOT ask the question. And to others its a q&a

so as far as I'm concerned they should answer all questions.

I realize there are folks out there that don't give two hoots about the staff and that's your prerogative but I have different pinion on the situation and happen to care.

The HC and officers do not put a restriction on what may be asked. To answer the first question about the service charge and then to dodge the question about the 18% is, well, dodgey.

They shouldn't have to put restrictions. Some common courtesy by those in attendance takes care of that.

If you are going to live in mental anguish until the infamous DSC issue is solved then pull the HC aside and ask him/her then.

Hmmm...the weekly ten page DSC/tipping thread usually doesn't start until Tuesday.

Edited by ColinIllinois

COKE is a public company, and yet I don't think they ever told a shareholder the formula... What is wrong with people?

YEAH ITS THE MAN KEEPING US DOWN[emoji200]

I actually love your analogy. :) I would say, though, that Coke clearly lets us know that their formula is secret. If NCL told me that how the 18% gratuity was used was a secret, I'd probably go, "Ooookay," and then >shrugs< and moves on. lol

I don't care what the breakdown is as long as 100% is going to the staff.

Same thing at a restaurant on land. I don't care how the employees want to break it down as long as it all go's to the employees.

If the owner of the restaurant or the corporation is taking a cut of a gratuity then I no longer feel it is correct to call it a gratuity.

A lot of the analogies in this thread are way off.

Seriously, yet another thread on this topic! I guess it won't ever die. Are people also as curious how their cruise fare, which they're forced to pay, is allocated to the captain, directors, et al?

If those salaries were significantly derived from gratuities, I would bet money that people would care. :)

I don't care what the breakdown is as long as 100% is going to the staff.

Same thing at a restaurant on land. I don't care how the employees want to break it down as long as it all go's to the employees.

If the owner of the restaurant or the corporation is taking a cut of a gratuity then I no longer feel it is correct to call it a gratuity.

A lot of the analogies in this thread are way off.

NCL clearly says in their guest ticket contract that they take a portion of the service charges for crew programs. I guess it's not technically called a gratuity.

The drinks though do say gratuity / service charge and bar tenders claim they aren't seeing their full share.

I have asked about tip distribution in restaurants. I do so because in some cases I will leave cash for staff as some owners take a cut of cc tips. I have also asked about splits between front and back of house when I especially want to complement the kitchen.

But then I view tips as optional amounts that the payer elects to give in recognition of superior service. "Gratuities" on cruise ships are not tips, they are service charges.