Prinsendam: Christmas/New Year's Cruise, 2015: A brief review

rkacruiser

Before we even sailed, (due to an engine issue), the Christmas Tree Lighting event was held in the Atrium with members of the Cruise Staff and Entertainers singing carols along with the assembled guests. Christmas cookies and egg nog were distributed as well. A festive start.

Christmas Eve, White Christmas, the movie was showed 3 times in the Wagang Theater. Following a very good Christmas Eve dinner, the International Christmas Chorale groups performed with "Sounds of the Season" from their homelands. That late night program ended with Captain Dvergastein delivering an extraordinarily appropriate Christmas Message given the unsettled international times that we are experiencing. Christmas Mass and a Non-Denominational Service took place after Midnight for those who wished to attend.

On Christmas Day, a program was held in the Showroom at Sea that featured the arrival of Santa Claus. Captain Dag participated in this by providing updates of Santa's arrival aboard the ship via PA and a video was then shown with Santa and his elves arriving on the ship and enjoying themselves aboard the Prinsendam. Very creative and very appropriate, particularly with Captain Dag's participation. Those children in attendance received gifts. Since this was a port day, many of the Prinsendam's guests did not get to see this event and they, in my opinion, lost out on a prime reason to taking a Christmas cruise.

New Year's Eve on the Prinsendam was the most fun that I have had on that evening for many, many years. An extremely good dinner began the night preceded and followed by music in the Ocean Bar by two different groups who were really good. As the Midnight hour approached, a great party was held in the Showroom at Sea; again, good music. Much dancing and enjoyment by many were obvious. At the Midnight hour, a balloon drop, more music, etc. with one flute of Champage being offered. Since we were on Atlantic Standard Time, the party then moved to the Ocean Bar where a big screen TV had been placed. More great music, more fun, and we celebrated the arrival of 2016 a second time by watching the festivities in New York's Time Square.

The Piano Bar in the Crow's Nest offered a more sedate beginning of the New Year to those who wished such a venue. The string duo also performed in the Explorer's Lounge. What the attendance was for either of those nice venues, I do not know.

The Entertainment Staff of the Prinsendam, along with the Captain and the other staff of the Prinsendam, made this a cruise that will long remain in my memory.

Thank you for your review.

What port were you in on Christmas Day?

St. Kitts on Christmas Day

St. Barts on Christmas Eve

San Juan on New Year's Eve

Samana on New Year's Day

I have wondered if the program might have been different if these had been days at sea rather than in poirt.

The Christmas Day program's attendance was very small with the enjoyment of the Cruise Staff's efforts, involving Captain Dag, missed by many of the ship's guests. In my opinion, of course.

Thank you so much for sharing this.

It sounds absolutely wonderful - much like I hoped the Prindendam would do it.

I'm envious and thankful you took the time to tell us.

Thinking seriously about doing this while she is still in the fleet.

They did show a repeat video of Santa and his elves arriving Christmas night in the Showroom at sea just before the evenings programme started. We had been telling our tablemates how funny it was and then they got to see it themselves after dinner.

It was a great cruise and as always the staff were exceptional.

Nelen

Thanks for sharing your comments.

Did they put out a festive Christmas Eve Buffet after the show lounge?

A late night buffet on New Year's Eve?

I remember some wonderful buffets HAL used to put out on those evenings.

Welcome Back. Happy you enjoyed your cruise.

St. Kitts on Christmas Day

St. Barts on Christmas Eve

San Juan on New Year's Eve

Samana on New Year's Day

I have wondered if the program might have been different if these had been days at sea rather than in poirt.

The Christmas Day program's attendance was very small with the enjoyment of the Cruise Staff's efforts, involving Captain Dag, missed by many of the ship's guests. In my opinion, of course.

Thank you. Years ago when we sailed over Christmas, Christmas Day was always a sea day -- 3 different cruise lines.

Thanks for sharing your comments.

Did they put out a festive Christmas Eve Buffet after the show lounge?

A late night buffet on New Year's Eve?

I remember some wonderful buffets HAL used to put out on those evenings.

Welcome Back. Happy you enjoyed your cruise.

There were no special late night buffets that I was aware of on Christmas Eve or New Year's Eve.

Bob -THANKS for your report on Prinsendam -I'll be thinking of you when WE board the ship in MAY 2016 -AND thinking about a cruise on the Volendam in 2002 ;) when we first met you [ we were ALL kids in THOSE days!!!!!!!] Anne in Longmont,Colorado

There were no special late night buffets that I was aware of on Christmas Eve or New Year's Eve.

Disappointing.

They used to but out a wonderful late night spread and it would wrap around the Atrium Staircase on Maasdam, Rotterdam and other ships we sailed over the holidays.

The first time we were surprised to come out of the show lounge and find it all displayed and ready for us. :)

New Year's Eve on the Prinsendam was the most fun that I have had on that evening for many, many years. An extremely good dinner began the night preceded and followed by music in the Ocean Bar by two different groups who were really good. As the Midnight hour approached, a great party was held in the Showroom at Sea; again, good music. Much dancing and enjoyment by many were obvious. At the Midnight hour, a balloon drop, more music, etc. with one flute of Champage being offered. Since we were on Atlantic Standard Time, the party then moved to the Ocean Bar where a big screen TV had been placed. More great music, more fun, and we celebrated the arrival of 2016 a second time by watching the festivities in New York's Time Square.

I couldn't agree more. It was the most fun I've had on New Year's Eve in many years. Very well done and everyone seemed to be in the mood for a great time. Dancing in the Ocean Bar and in the Showroom...a really fun time.

Back on the Prinsendam for the Grand Med in another 5 weeks and 2 days.