Staff Asked Me for Money

Stay1978

Excuse me for going off topic, but I just remembered an interesting hacking story. Goes to show the ingenuity of hackers.

I was at a conference where an FBI agent was talking about security. For example, in many countries, the hackers work for the government and they specifically target people when they land in that country.

Anyways, this group of hackers wanted access to a particular financial services firm. But the firm had security measures on top on security measures. So, they parked outside of their offices and noticed that they had Chinese delivered once a week from the same restaurant. They planted a virus on the restaurant menu and, the next time somebody downloaded the menu, the hackers got into their otherwise very secure servers.

It's scary to think about how easy it is to get people's information.

Then I guess they weren't that secure and didn't have "security on top of security"...... Most average over the counter anti-virus programs would catch that today. Sounds like something the speaker heard somewhere and has been repeated third hand over and over.... But I guess it makes for a "cool story" at a conference.

Edited by bouhunter

First off I never said we were bff's. I did not respond and don't plan on responding. I have reported the post and have blocked/unfriended the person.

We have been on multiple (9) cruises with this staff member so yes that is how we befriended them.

So after posting this on CC for everyone to google at, you never responded, but felt compelled to share this story......:rolleyes:

Then I guess they weren't that secure and didn't have "security on top of security"...... Most average over the counter anti-virus programs would catch that today. Sounds like something the speaker heard somewhere and has been repeated third hand over and over.... But I guess it makes for a "cool story" at a conference.

That's what I was thinking... Maybe at the beginning of the antivirus age...

We have befriended a few employees over the years while on a ship and have become friends on Facebook. Yesterday and this morning I got a message from an activities staff member asking me for money. The message I received yesterday was strange asking to loan them $600.00. I felt very strange and did not respond hoping that maybe their account was hacked or something. This morning I received another message asking if I got the original message and saying they would take $500.00 and pay us back in March when their next contract starts. I am weirded out with them asking me for money. We are not THAT close. We talk when we are on a cruise they are working on and have only put a Facebook message out there asking if they were working a certain ship or the employee asking when our next cruise was going to be. I’m just wondering if anyone has ever had this happen to them and how they handled it. And no I will not be giving them any money.

Who does this?? These people are not your friends. Just because they are nice to you on the ship doesn't mean they are your friend. They are trying to get your tips. They in most cases probably can't stand you because you have $$ and are on vacation and they don't. ARe you kiddig me?

I've had people call my mom, saying they were my son, and needed money. Luckily she's too smart to fall for that, and our last name is tricky to pronounce, so they give themselves away quickly.

But this type of scam is becoming very common, both with real phone calls and online. It's often a variant of "I'm in trouble and need money."

When you have cruised with the same crew many times, I think it very possible to develop friendships with certain crew - particularly officers. There are some officers I know that I would not necessarily think it out-of-line if they contacted me to help them with something - maybe bring them something hard for them to get while on ship if I was coming on their ship. But I would NEVER send them money or anything else without talking directly with them - and, I would NEVER believe that an email such as that the OP received was authentic without talking with the person.

Who does this?? These people are not your friends. Just because they are nice to you on the ship doesn't mean they are your friend. They are trying to get your tips. They in most cases probably can't stand you because you have $$ and are on vacation and they don't. ARe you kiddig me?

And now we officially have the other end of the spectrum........

Geez people, the OP stated he wasn't sending the $. He was simply sharing the story and wondering if this had happened elsewhere. The RCCL employee is on the activities staff which do not get tips. They've cruised with them 9 times. I too think it must be a hack - I would be very surprised that an employee would run this kind of risk since it could very well get them fired if reported.

We have gotten email addresses a few times in the past of employees we liked - so that we could email them our next cruise info to see if they were onboard. Back when the bartenders switched around, we emailed one so he could request the pool bar for the week we were onboard. No one ever abused the email address.

We have befriended a few employees over the years while on a ship and have become friends on Facebook. Yesterday and this morning I got a message from an activities staff member asking me for money. The message I received yesterday was strange asking to loan them $600.00. I felt very strange and did not respond hoping that maybe their account was hacked or something. This morning I received another message asking if I got the original message and saying they would take $500.00 and pay us back in March when their next contract starts. I am weirded out with them asking me for money. We are not THAT close. We talk when we are on a cruise they are working on and have only put a Facebook message out there asking if they were working a certain ship or the employee asking when our next cruise was going to be. I’m just wondering if anyone has ever had this happen to them and how they handled it. And no I will not be giving them any money.

This is very simple. You respond by saying that you are sorry; but you NOT in the financial position to lend them any money. A true friend will understand. If they don't then they aren't your friend. Their financial problems are not your problems. Unless you can absolutely confirm their identify you should be very leery of such request. Their account could have been hacked. Always go with your gut instinct. This is why getting involved with crew members aren't always a good idea.

We had a similar situation when we got an email from a tour guide we had used for a tour in the Azores. She was asking us for money. Turned out her email account had been hacked and everyone on her contact list had been contacted with the same request. She was mortified. It almost ruined her business as she relies heavily on recommendations from past cruisers. Fortunately she was made aware of the problem very quickly and was able to reassure her past clients that she was not out with the begging bowl.

I would not reply to the email. Doing so only validates the email and continues the problem. Mark it as spam and move on.

If you are looking for a true friend, I have a one day special. Send me only $400 as I am hungry for steak! :)

This is an interesting culture where some give all of the person information to "strangers" and/or post it on-line. I have worked with people for 20 years and don't consider them friends. My 7 day bartender, suite attendant, or waiter is most certainly not my friend.

Edited by TubbyMrT

When you have cruised with the same crew many times, I think it very possible to develop friendships with certain crew - particularly officers. There are some officers I know that I would not necessarily think it out-of-line if they contacted me to help them with something - maybe bring them something hard for them to get while on ship if I was coming on their ship. But I would NEVER send them money or anything else without talking directly with them - and, I would NEVER believe that an email such as that the OP received was authentic without talking with the person.

Agree. DW has friended on Facebook a bartender that we had on four cruises. She original befriend my son and daughter-in-law on a different cruise. It's pretty much just a to keep track of our families and find out if she's home or back on board. I know it's hard believe but they are human and some do like to share their stories with passengers.

Reminds me of the old scam which someone tried to use on my wife a few years ago. "John [or Jane] I am in London visiting my grandson and someone took my purse with wallet and passport and I am in dire straits. Can you wire me [bank transfer] [Paypal] x dollars to help me get through the next few days? I'll repay you as soon as I get back home! Hope to see you at the next xyz club meeting."

The purported sender was known to my wife, they had details of the association correct (xyz club meeting) and it was very compelling. And of course totally false. If someone has tapped into an innocent's email, it wouldn't be too hard to get addresses and enough details to be able to compose a convincing message.

But it could be real.

In either case I would not reply directly, and i would not ignore it. I would contact Royal, (via your Crown and Anchor rep?), ask Royal ask them to pass to the Hotel Manager aboard the ship in question the message that one of his staff may have had their email hacked, and lay out the story. If it is phoney, you can be doing a great service. If it not phoney, you have let Management know about staff behavior that is way out of line.

That is odd, for sure.

Keep in mind, it may actually be the staff member, a real hacker/scam artist, his/her little brother/sister/son/daughter/aunt/uncle/cousin/friend/boyfriend/girlfriend having fun with their social media account.

I would ignore it for now and just ask about it when I saw them in person. Or, report it to RC to investigate.

One of the more ignorant posts in a long time! Do folks not care for you??????:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

"Why would I want to eat with the staff?" Didn't someone say that on a cruise liner? Well, there are those of us who meet crew who are cut from the same cloth as us. And we become friends, real friends. She has never asked us for money, we kept her location secret when she was an illegal alien in the states (she now has her green card), and we've met up with her twice and have taken her and her Aunt to lunch. We have commiserated with her when her marriage broke up, and she calls us 'Auntie and Uncle, and my in-laws (who she met during one of our lunch visits) are 'Grandpa and grandma" to her. We have called each other on the phone and have each other email addresses. We exchange Christmas cards and she sent us a Christmas present. We know her personal history and consider her like a daughter. What other criteria do you need before you call a crew member "friend"? It can and does happen.

Who does this??

Kind of how we feel about you sharing your drink package.

This is BS... the prices are too high and that is where the make MOST of their $$. Obviously you've never been in the bar or restaurant business. I have. I know how much $$ you make off of booze.

My husband and I will probably share a package, like it or not. We won't get "caught" as we buy the drink at one bar and walk to where we are going and buy another when we get there. I works. I know. Sorry if you don't like it. The should lower the prices.