friends offered to bring wine on board for us - unethical?

korky1

We are going on a RCI cruise in a few weeks. We have cruised with RCI many times and always pay our gratuities and never share drink packages so I think of us as a pretty decent couple. For the first time ,we are going in a group of 6, 3 adult couples. The other 2 couples do not drink wine but do drink spirits. They have offered to bring the allocated bottle of wine each on board for my husband and I. This means hubby and I can buy 6 bottles of our favourite wine to enjoy onboard. In return, we would shout each of our friends a drink of their choice. Do you think this is terribly wrong? I have read some pretty viscious attacks on people's integrity on here so am curious.

You are kidding right.Royal does not seem to care,when they have their BS SALES. They raise the price,then drop it a little and call it a sale.The other two couples are allowed to bring two bottles of wine on board.Enjoy your cruise and and don't worry about what people on cruise crittic think.

Absolutely don't give it a second thought. The rule says you can bring 2 bottles on board. It doesn't say anywhere you must consume them. In fact, here is the exact statement copy and pasted from the RCCL website:

"Guests wishing to bring personal wine and champagne onboard may do so only on boarding day, limited to two (2) 750 ml bottles per stateroom."

As you can see, it's "personal." You can do with it what you like. Besides, they aren't smuggling it. They are bringing it on with full knowledge of the cruise line. No worry.

Nothing unethical in my opinion. The rules are 2 bottles per cabin. What those people decide to do with their wine they have brought on board in accordance to the rules is entirely up to them!

I don't drink wine, but I will take two bottles of good quality wine on board because I often meet someone who is nice or having a birthday or celebration and I like to have the option of giving them a bottle of wine rather than paying on board prices. I have never felt bad about this on any cruise line. If it doesn't get used I leave it for the cabin attendant and tell them to drink it or give it away as they please. I just like to have the option of giving it to someone if I make friends. I know someone will enjoy it whatever happens.

Edited by Cruise_Christy

For my Jewel roll call, I asked a couple who didn't drink if they could pick up two bottles of wine for me at the port. They asked me the type and I told them how much I was willing to spend. I met them at their cabin about an hour after I checked in to pick it up. Worked flawlessly and I wish I could find such a nice couple to do this for me every sailing :)

I wish this topic had come up 2 weeks ago before we cruised. We don't drink and I absolutely would have taken a couple bottles of wine onboard for someone else on our roll call if I had thought of it lol.

We are going on a RCI cruise in a few weeks. We have cruised with RCI many times and always pay our gratuities and never share drink packages so I think of us as a pretty decent couple. For the first time ,we are going in a group of 6, 3 adult couples. The other 2 couples do not drink wine but do drink spirits. They have offered to bring the allocated bottle of wine each on board for my husband and I. This means hubby and I can buy 6 bottles of our favourite wine to enjoy onboard. In return, we would shout each of our friends a drink of their choice. Do you think this is terribly wrong? I have read some pretty viscious attacks on people's integrity on here so am curious.

nope, i think it is perfectly fine.

If you have to ask, and feel guilty about it, than don't do it. Why exactly are you asking?

We are cruising in 3 cabins -- one for the in-laws, one for the teens and ours -- and yes we plan on bringing six bottles on board. (But it's refreshing to see someone trying to do the right thing rather than looking for a creative way to scam.... :)) I think your friends are probably thrilled to be able to enjoy a drink with you while you are enjoying your favorite wine!

So now of course you have to tell us what your favorite wine happens to be...

I agree--nothing at all unethical.

We bring a bottle or two to give away at meet and mingle gift exchanges as often as not (since DH gets the drink packages and I don't drink more than maybe one drink a night with the coupon so we do not use our allowance for ourselves these days). It never occurred to me to think of it as an issue--since we are not bringing on more than the set limit.

Enjoy the good wine and your nice friends.

We are cruising in 3 cabins -- one for the in-laws, one for the teens and ours -- and yes we plan on bringing six bottles on board. (But it's refreshing to see someone trying to do the right thing rather than looking for a creative way to scam.... :)) I think your friends are probably thrilled to be able to enjoy a drink with you while you are enjoying your favorite wine!

So now of course you have to tell us what your favorite wine happens to be...

Just a note - unless there is an adult booked into the "teens'" cabin you might have a problem - you're allowed two bottles per cabin AS LONG AS one of the passengers booked into that cabin is at least 21.

Just a note - unless there is an adult booked into the "teens'" cabin you might have a problem - you're allowed two bottles per cabin AS LONG AS one of the passengers booked into that cabin is at least 21.

Thanks for the heads up for people -- they wouldn't let us book without one of us bunking with each of the kids, so we are all set! ;)

I won't think it was wrong at all u can enjoy your favourite wine and they get a drink they enjoy in return

My wife's friend has cruised with us in the past and always has taken to bottles of wine which end up in our cabin. when I started to read this post I expected the PC police to be all over it. I could do with some more friends like yours drink and enjoy.

My wife's friend has cruised with us in the past and always has taken to bottles of wine which end up in our cabin. when I started to read this post I expected the PC police to be all over it. I could do with some more friends like yours drink and enjoy.

I think that's a common misconception about this board, which, in my opinion, is driven by people who make a stink about any kind of criticism. (Most) People here are really pretty reasonable, and if they think something is wrong, they'll say it.

For instance, there are regularly questions about whether it's okay, or how one could get away with, sharing a single drink package between two or more people. That is clearly unethical. This question, at worst, is perhaps slightly against the spirit of the wine allowance, but they allow two bottles per cabin, and they don't specify who is allowed to drink from those two bottles per cabin. :cool:

Edited by Paul65

No different than booking interconnecting rooms and listing one adult and one child in each cabin. That way both adults can bring two bottles each aboard. We put the kids in one cabin and my DW and I in the other cabin but have key access this way to both rooms in case the interconnecting gets locked for any reason by mistake. I share my two bottles of red with my DW and she shares her two bottles of white with me. No sneaking involved. Just following the rules.

Geri - Do you know if this is definitely a rule (although I guess it makes logical sense)? We'll have 20 and 18 year old daughters in their own cabin (no one 21+ booked in that cabin) and were planning to bring 4 bottles total for us (the parents). I didn't see anything here stating that this was against the rules.

I do not see the issue. Passengers are allowed to bring on 2 bottles per cabin. If they want to share, where is the problem. The decision to share does not have to be made once onboard. We bring 2 bottles of wine that my DW wants.

I have given bottles of bubbly to other passengers years ago who liked the stuff that we met that were given to us by our TA and in our cabins when we arrived.

Edited by shipshape sam

• 3 weeks later...

The rule says you can bring two onboard. It doesn't specify who can drink it. This method is just smart. Nice work. I am a little bit excited for that one petty person who is gonna show up and say it's wrong though.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app