Right now on the Gem...

Turtles06

My spouse and I are on the Gem right now. We've been enjoying a beautiful quiet morning sitting in a couple of lounge chairs in the shade on Deck 13. But a woman just sat down next to us and started clipping her toenails. Right there on the deck. Gross! My spouse politely asked her to do her personal grooming in her cabin, but the woman kept at it and then opened up a whole nail polish kit and started giving herself a pedicure.

Must be our bad luck this week. The guy in the cabin next to us has been smoking on his balcony. I had to ask him to please smoke where it's permitted. (He knew he was in the wrong. He was hunched in a corner dropping his ashes into a ziplock bag.)

Last night, we were enjoying the music in Magnums when a "sloppy drunk" woman sat down nearby and decided she wanted people to move around for her friends, was kicking the chair of a guest who had been there from the start and declined to move, and just got more and more obnoxious and harassed the people nearby, including us. (I asked a server to get a security officer, but no one ever came.)

Just a few examples of some really unpleasant folks on board. Maybe this is always the case, and we've just been lucky on our 13 prior cruises (including 6 on NCL), but it just seems worse to us.

Doing our best to not let any of this spoil our vacation, but who wants to have to deal with people like this?

There is always the "Jerk Factor" in any group setting. Try to enjoy your vacation and overlook the other "guests" who have been raised by wolves. Now that I think about it that might be an insult to the wolves.

My spouse and I are on the Gem right now. We've been enjoying a beautiful quiet morning sitting in a couple of lounge chairs in the shade on Deck 13. But a woman just sat down next to us and started clipping her toenails. Right there on the deck. Gross! My spouse politely asked her to do her personal grooming in her cabin, but the woman kept at it and then opened up a whole nail polish kit and started giving herself a pedicure.

Must be our bad luck this week. The guy in the cabin next to us has been smoking on his balcony. I had to ask him to please smoke where it's permitted. (He knew he was in the wrong. He was hunched in a corner dropping his ashes into a ziplock bag.)

Last night, we were enjoying the music in Magnums when a "sloppy drunk" woman sat down nearby and decided she wanted people to move around for her friends, was kicking the chair of a guest who had been there from the start and declined to move, and just got more and more obnoxious and harassed the people nearby, including us. (I asked a server to get a security officer, but no one ever came.)

Just a few examples of some really unpleasant folks on board. Maybe this is always the case, and we've just been lucky on our 13 prior cruises (including 6 on NCL), but it just seems worse to us.

Doing our best to not let any of this spoil our vacation, but who wants to have to deal with people like this?

Welcome to the pack of UBP people where a lot of them just have to get there monies worth who are insistent to ruin others vacation, same goes for the illegal smokers, I would have called security to see for themselves.

Hope your remaining days are better.

Edited by FranknBeans

Wow! Hopefully on my September Gem cruise I don't encounter these types of passengers, because I will probably lose it, especially if someone starts kicking my chair.

In 2010 we were leaving the ship at the end of the cruise .A guy ,approximately 50 years old slugged an 80 year old woman because she was not moving fast enough for him .Before any of us could grab him 3 security officers appeared and removed him .

Do you have a cell phone that can take video? Just start recording them. I wish people would have done it for that "yeshiva gone wild" last week.

This is what happens when you lower the prices....either by fare, 3 & 4th guest sail free, UDP, UBP or any other "bonus"

Low cost cruise = low class passengers

I wish they would do away with these things and just charge "the fare".

It's ridiculous to blame the UDP & UBP for what you think are low class passengers. I've seen what I consider low class passengers on HAL, RC and NCL when there were no packages offered. Low class has nothing to do with pricing and all with how the people just are.

It's ridiculous to blame the UDP & UBP for what you think are low class passengers. I've seen what I consider low class passengers on HAL, RC and NCL when there were no packages offered. Low class has nothing to do with pricing and all with how the people just are.

Do you honestly think people would drink as much if they had to pay for the drinks?

Do you honestly think people would drink as much if they had to pay for the drinks?

There will still be people that drink the same no matter if they paid for it in advance or each time they got a drink. Some people probably drink more if they don't have UBP because they can order buckets of beers instead of 1 at a time.

Also you mentioned 3 reasons for "low class passengers" not just one.

Elite? Nope. In no way did the OP give me that impression. Unless you might be one of their encounters?

I believe he was responding to the ridiculous "looking down her nose at the common people" comment(s) made by MsTabbyCats.

This is what happens when you lower the prices....either by fare, 3 & 4th guest sail free, UDP, UBP or any other "bonus"

Wow is that a pretentious uneducated blanket statement! :eek:

Really? Such a generous and gentle attitude you have (NOT). You need to rethink this statement and post an apology to us "lower class" people.

Really? I have known people of varying economic situations. And one is definately not always indicative of the other.

I'm just a wonderful person when in a Haven and I act like a real dog when I cruise in an inside. Especially a guarantee. That is how I am, this is how people are. I'm class mobile. :eek:

We need a ~that's hilarious :D ~ button :)

Just to show you that money doesn't equal class, years ago on Gem (NYC to Quebec and back), we were lucky enough to be VIPs so got to enjoy rubbing elbows with some of the swanks in suites and the Haven-you know the folks who had paid REAL money for this 14 day cruise.

Imagine our surprise one morning, when the woman staying in the Garden Villa sashayed into breakfast in Cagney's wearing her NCL robe and fuzzy slippers and NOTHING else (as we discovered when she sat down and failed to appropriately reign in said robe) . :eek:

Now that is class!:D

Edited by Clay Clayton

It is NCL, not Lindblad...

Same entitled mentality as the Yeshiva groups that terrorized the lowly cruisers this January.

But perhaps there is a point to your suggestions...it will keep the Y-group out too!