Passport?

cwbabe48

I have never had a passport stolen. I have however run into many situations where having it was helpful including a couple of scary ones. A creased, smudged photocopy might have been acceptable but that's not a chance I'm willing to take. My passport is with me whenever I'm on land in a foreign country. No exceptions.

The copy stays in my safe along with a PDF on my smartphone in the event the document is stolen and I need to acquire a temporary replacement.

Why go to all the trouble of photocopy or pdf or other ways to backup your passport?

No one ever mentions the Mobile Passport app, officially approved by CBP that is available for Ios and Android.

The mobile passport app is only recognized at a handful of airports US airports (e.g., SFO). And, basically, all it does is eliminate the paper CBP declaration form. Can't use it as an ID or passport book substitute.

I go along with what a captain once informed us: always take your passport number and city of issue with you when going ashore (ie. a copy) to expedite the issue of a passport if stolen. There's a vast black market for passports out there, and I've no wish to be drawn into the repercussions. Some of the forgers in the Middle East are especially skilful at the present time.