Passport?

cwbabe48

I am reading more and more that do NOT take their passports with them when they leave the ship to a port. What is the consensus? We have always taken ours and no issues. But guess there is always a chance. I have copies of our PP and the passport card.

Please advise.

Thanks

I go on lines where they take, and keep, everyone's passports and only give them back when a country requires that a passport be taken off the ship. So, if the cruise line knows you don't need your passports off the ship, then that's how it goes. The only place I've taken my passport with me is in Russia.

I am reading more and more that do NOT take their passports with them when they leave the ship to a port. What is the consensus? We have always taken ours and no issues. But guess there is always a chance. I have copies of our PP and the passport card.

Please advise.

Thanks

What are you more concerned with, losing your passport and missing the ship? If losing your passport, don't take it off the ship. If missing the ship, take your passport with you.

Unless taken from me for various reasons,,, mine doesn't leave my sight. Even on a day to day business. Then again, I travel all day and never know when I might need access to some place that requires more than just a DL.

So yes, I carry mine with me off the ship.

There is no "consensus." Everyone does their own risk/benefit analysis. The risks/benefits have been discussed repeatedly in numerous threads. Make your own decision and not give a fig what anyone else does.

As a data point, unless required by local law to be on my person, my passport stays with the ship's immigration officer, or in my stateroom safe or hotel room safe. In the age of the internet, a photocopy is just a piece of paper - but if it makes you feel better, do take one along.

There is no "consensus." Everyone does their own risk/benefit analysis. The risks/benefits have been discussed repeatedly in numerous threads. Make your own decision and not give a fig what anyone else does.

g.

You beat me to it. There will be folks who swear up and down on both sides of the issue. (this in one of the 3rd rail topics on this website). Consider yourself lucky if the self appoineded experts don't find this thread and tell everybody else they are wrong if the don't agree. ;)

Personally no way I'm not taking it. It will do me no good sitting in a safe. People claim that if something happens they will leave it for you, but I have never once heard of this confirmed to have actually happened. I'm a responsible adult and will keep my passport with me safely at all times while in foreign countries.

Edited by stephkd

Personally no way I'm not taking it. It will do me no good sitting in a safe. People claim that if something happens they will leave it for you, but I have never once heard of this confirmed to have actually happened. I'm a responsible adult and will keep my passport with me safely at all times while in foreign countries.

I've ask this question twice on the ship. One time yes, they will go to your safe and leave it at the port. The other time no, they will not accept the liability. So there you have it, this issue has finally been put to rest. The answer is, it depends.

You beat me to it. There will be folks who swear up and down on both sides of the issue. (this in one of the 3rd rail topics on this website). Consider yourself lucky if the self appoineded experts don't find this thread and tell everybody else they are wrong if the don't agree. ;)

Bud Lite anyone :D

I've ask this question twice on the ship. One time yes, they will go to your safe and leave it at the port. The other time no, they will not accept the liability. So there you have it, this issue has finally been put to rest. The answer is, it depends.

I think it is really good that you have pointed this out Cuizer2, thanks for clarifying. Please don't anyone assume that it will be left, check with your ship first! I wouldn't want anyone to be left in a bind. :)

we found him.

No, my comment is not pointed towards you TruckerDave. It's pointed to the self appointed expert

Wait...what about the thousands of poor folks who have no passport but use their Birth Certificates to go from port to port in the Caribbean? (US Citizens)

What happens if they miss the ship? Or are detained for littering in Antigua?

Edited by thinfool

Wait...what about the thousands of poor folks who have no passport but use their Birth Certificates to go from port to port in the Caribbean? (US Citizens)

This is one of the reasons people are told to get a passport.

Then they would need to get a document from the Consulate/Embassy in order to fly home or to the next port (depending on the type of document issued and the circumstances, of course).

Do not take passports with you unless you are required.

Keith

That's one of the reasons we are contemplating leaving our passports at home since they aren't required for our cruise. Kind of an extension of the "leave it in the safe cause it's safer" school of thought.

That's one of the reasons we are contemplating leaving our passports at home since they aren't required for our cruise. Kind of an extension of the "leave it in the safe cause it's safer" school of thought.

I have both a passport book and a passport card. The passport card is the size of a credit card and thus very easy to carry. The passport book stays in the safe.

I have both a passport book and a passport card. The passport card is the size of a credit card and thus very easy to carry. The passport book stays in the safe.

Since we live in a state that issues them we have Enhanced Drivers Licenses since we have to carry our license anyway.