Who here has been thru the Panama Canal....

Chime in on being along the canal, total or partial, how many times.

This is interesting, as the original canal will be sidelined to lesser ships when the new Atlantic locks open this spring/summer.

I had a partial, and vowed to go back. I will do the whole shmozzle soon :)

How many times have you been through.....

Chime in on being along the canal, total or partial, how many times.

This is interesting, as the original canal will be sidelined to lesser ships when the new Atlantic locks open this spring/summer.

I had a partial, and vowed to go back. I will do the whole shmozzle soon :)

How many times have you been through.....

2 times. Full transits both times. Once Port Canaveral to LA (actually our first cruise ever). Second time Boston to San Diego. Different cruise lines.

I did a partial on the Zuiderdam in 2014. On our way back out the Gatun locks in the second level, the mules did not have enough tension and actually bumped the poor dam ship into the side! It looked like a bit of cosmetic damage in Colon, and the captain and a number of officers were assessing the situation but all was fine.

On that same cruise, a sailboat mast went through the window on the "full transit ferry", frightening a poor amorous couple in the bathroom it pierced, and we were delayed leaving Colon from 6:00 pm to 11:30 pm! I suppose about 400 of the guests were on the ferries forced to wait around because of it! Thankfully, I was back aboard the big Z and able to enjoy the offerings from what seemed like a ghost ship!

I've been completely through the canal 3 times. My understanding is that the new canal will be open in 2017. So I plan on doing it again to try that out.:) But likely on another cruise line.

I am looking forward to going thru the new A-gates when it is operational.

I have seen four gates of the new locks on my last partial cruise of the canal, and they were humongous!

What a privilege to sail thru such an engineering marvel....

Been on one partial through the canal and going again through the new portion this November.

Latest news (Jan 18, 2016) "

ATLANTA — The opening of larger Panama Canal locks, already postponed several times by construction delays, has been pushed back again and now is expected early in the second quarter, a canal official said.

“We expect it to be open for commercial business sometime in the second half," said Francisco J. Miguez, executive vice president for finance and administration at the Panama Canal Authority, in a speech at the SMC3 JumpStart 2016 supply-chain conference in Atlanta. The authority later issued a clarification stating the canal would be completed in the second quarter"

Two full transits, Oosterdam and Infinity. Don't hold your breath on a transit through the new locks, unless you are on a ship too big for the current locks. My understanding is that ships that can fit through the current locks will still use those locks. EM

Two full transits, Oosterdam and Infinity. Don't hold your breath on a transit through the new locks, unless you are on a ship too big for the current locks. My understanding is that ships that can fit through the current locks will still use those locks. EM

According to the Miami Herald, :The canal authority also may allow some cruise ships that don’t make a complete transit through the canal to use the new locks before June 2015 and then turn around in Gatun Lake, which was created by damming the Chagres River in 1913 and is a critical part of the canal and its water supply."

We have done 2 full transits of the Canal. One in 2009 from Ft. Lauderdale to Seattle and the second in 2011 from FLL to San Diego. We also sailed with cruz chic in 2011...:) We loved both cruises and if you have not done it before you need to add it to your list of things to do. Very amazing!!!

Here is a link to our 2011 photos of the locks and transit thru them: http://1drv.ms/23Pc0Fu

I would love to find out when the new larger locks open as to whether cruise ships will go thru them or be relegated to the old locks?

Probably a dozen or more, don't remember, but only two on cruise ships, and both working.

Only those ships that need the new locks due to size will use them. Any ship that can still fit in the old locks will use those.

Yes, went through the Canal frequently... several in cruise ships but mostly in cargo ships. The most interesting transits were on cargo ships... and usually most making transit at night. Completely differently view of the canal. I'm sure you have done both.

A cruise ship would be more interesting to say.. start a transit at noon see the first locks and by the end would be at night... and a sunset and a 'cooler' evening on deck.

The last voyage of the old ROTTERDAM.... I did not make the transit through the canal 'on board'. I was given a chance to go through with the two photographers. Left the ship in Cristobal by pilot boat.... went by car through to see the Cut... photos of the ship.... then again on board by pilot. Great day!

According to the Miami Herald, :The canal authority also may allow some cruise ships that don’t make a complete transit through the canal to use the new locks before June 2015 and then turn around in Gatun Lake, which was created by damming the Chagres River in 1913 and is a critical part of the canal and its water supply."

I'm afraid these plans were back in the Pollyanna days before the labor problems, significant cost overrun disputes and serious leak problem along with the hopefully successful repairs. The new Atlantic Locks were well on their way to being finished long before the new locks on the Pacific side so they were going to use them to develop the techniques to take ships through the larger locks as well as iron out any other problems before they opened for business. As it stands right now, the Atlantic Locks will be completed first, but it is not going to be that much sooner than the Pacific side. The new estimate for the project completion is late June, 2016.

To answer the OP's question... about 20 deep water to deep water transits, some of those I paid to do, some I was paid to do and some I did just for fun! Partial transits... a mix of those as well... Cristobal through Gatun, Gamboa to Gatun (or the reverse) and Balboa to Gamboa. Did enough of partials, I lost count.

I would love to find out when the new larger locks open as to whether cruise ships will go thru them or be relegated to the old locks?
I expect it would depend to some degree on how busy each set was ... that is, whether there are ships waiting that require the new locks, and how long the line is for the smaller locks.

We only went through once, and I was amazed at the large number of ships waiting at anchor on the Pacific side.

My Great Uncle worked on the original canal build so its been sort a family must do. My first trip was NYC - LA on QE2 at the start of a world cruise in January...absolutely fabulous!!!

My second was a San Diego - Miami 16 days in February on Azamara Journey w/ my partner. Talk about a totally different experience - the ship size, passengers and even the clothes(all "country club casual vs the very formal QE2). It too was a fabulous voyage.

I do look forward to doing another voyage through the new locks one day(perhaps ON Queen Elizabeth). Too many other places to visit.

If I may suggest if you have never done it before - do the full transit.its a longer cruise but well worth it!

Captain Topsham - I'm jealous!!!!

[AHOY SHIPMATES

JUST FINISHED MY 14th TRIP THRU THE CANAL IN JAN ON THE VEENDAM. FIRST TIME EVER THAT IT WAS COOL ALL DAY LONG SO VERY ENJOYABLE AS ALWAYS. WATCHING THE MULES AT WORK ALWAYS REMINDS ME OF THE OLD DAYS WHEN I WAS BUILDING MODEL TRAIN LAYOUTS. IT'S A SHAME THAT IT IS GETTING SO EXPENSIVE TO GO THRU. IT IS OVER $200. A PASSENGER PLUS THE REGULAR SHIP COSTS . PANAMA MAY OWN THE CANAL BUT CHINA OWNS EVERY THING ON BOTH ENDS (businesses) and CONTROLS THE TRAFFIC. ( I realize this will create a rebuttal).

DW HAS BEEN THRU 15 TIMES, SHE DID IT ONCE ON A NAVY SHIP. I WAS ALWAYS ON AIRCRAFT CARRIERS SO WE WENT AROUND THE HORN INSTEAD, WHICH WAS ALSO EXCITING.

AM ANXIOUS TO TRY THE NEW CANAL IF THEY FINISH IT DURING MY LIFETIME.

SEA YA SIZE=4][/size]