Feminine hygiene products onboard?

Newbcruiser1

In a bind - in my hotel now, boarding my cruise today. I don't have any transportation, and there is nowhere nearby to take a taxi to.

So... Given that our bodies sometimes surprise us and I travel with everything including the kitchen sink but of course didn't anticipate needing any...

Do the ships sell feminine hygiene products onboard. I imagine they must, although perhaps not my usual brand! Any experience? I may not end up needing it but can't tell right now!

Yes they will have some, not sure what brands. Be prepared to pay a lot more than you would at home. When we ran out of toothpaste on one of our cruises, the same size tube we would pay 88 cents for at home was $5.99 on the ship.

Adding a little note from personal experience, while pads are readily available in a variety of brands in any pharmacy, tampons are almost non-existent in Italy and Greece and I imagine a handful of other European countries, I only looked in the two I mentioned. The only brand you'll find with be Tampax, 10-packs of regular and they are expensive. Glad that ship has sailed!

Yes..they will have something. If you're taking a taxi to port, simply ask the driver to first take you to a drug store or grocery.....they don't mind a short stop. Just go fast, as the meter will be running!

If you have a taxi wait for you while you go into CVS or wherever, do not leave a carryon that contains valuables unattended in the taxi. If you have cash/jewelry or electronics etc, it's not a good idea to leave it.

I realize OP has sailed already but this message may be helpful to someone else.

• Like 1

When I was younger and had to worry about such things, I learned to always pack my preferred products, even if I was "sure" I did not need them. All too often, travel would upset regular cycles and it is no fun being caught unprepared. If I ended up not needing them, I was able to provide them to a family member or traveling companion (and occasionaly a stranger) who found herself in the same unexpected emergency.

Back SEVERAL years ago, the ships would have a basket of feminine hygiene products in a basket in each bathroom. That stopped many years ago, but it sure was nice not to have to worry. Just another little thing that went the way of cost savings, I guess.

On my 2005 cruise, we got to know some of the servers quite well (they treated my mother like a queen). Anyways, the evaluations must have been done differently as I think we got the questionnaires on the ship and recall that the servers were vocal in how they should be filled out. Long story short, one of the female servers asked us to specifically comment on the fact that they don't have feminine products in the bathrooms - that it's sometimes difficult for the female crew to get back to their rooms. Not that I've been on many cruises, but ever since then, I always notice that their bathrooms still don't have a machine.

• 4 weeks later...
Most ships seem to carry Always and Tampax. You can also get some supplies from guest services during times the stores are not open.

This was NOT true for me on Royal Caribbean last fall. The ship was in port and I need supplies but the stores on ship weren't open. I was told I just had to wait.

It very available just as a previous poster said, very expensive.