What would it take to retire onto Royal?

First thing that comes to mind is a budget for the cruise fare each week. Factors include could you deal with an inside stateroom every week to save money, or would you need a balcony at least? Eventually when you hit UnUbtanium Pinnacle Status, I assume some discounts would be kicking in. So what do you think, $1000 a week, every week would cover it? More / less?

What about medical insurance?

Food and non boozy drink all included...but how much extra to budget for variety so you don't commit suicide due to boredom in your 83rd consecutive week of the Windjammer.

Lastly, I guess you have to think long and hard if you could sail every week, week after week. Potential monotony? Maybe, although with Monday morning in the office just hours away, right now I don't see it :D

Just day dreaming....

Well, for the last 18 years there is one cruiser that has been called Super Mario that cruises 350 days of the year.

From what I've read he gets 2 free cruises a year (700 C&A points), stays in an inside cabin and spends less than $70,000 a year for his room.

Do a google search of Super Mario for more info.

This is a long term plan of ours, but not on RCCL. Nothing against RCCL, but we're aiming for a line that has longer sailings, little to no repetition, a quieter atmosphere, etc. Cruise lines do work with people who do this type of things (multiple people do this on different lines, though I wouldn't define it as 'common'). While they'll work with you because they have a known income from the space, it's one less cabin to market, etc - I know in some cases the crew doesn't love it because some people take on a sense of entitlement or ownership. I get it.

There are all sorts of tax considerations as well, as for immigration and other practical purposes you'ill need to maintain citizenship somewhere, but you'll want to plan that smartly as well. We've discussed maintaining a home base somewhere inexpensive if we need to time on shore but for other reasons too. If we were retiring today we'd likely look somewhere in Central or South America.

One day...

Well, for the last 18 years there is one cruiser that has been called Super Mario that cruises 350 days of the year.

From what I've read he gets 2 free cruises a year (700 C&A points), stays in an inside cabin and spends less than $70,000 a year for his room.

He isn't retired, he runs his business from the ship.

We used to see Captain Snuffy frequently on Oceanic shore cruises out of Canaveral. He was introduced with the officers at the captain's party, and had his own white uniform. I was on the bridge a few times at sea and he was in the office behind the bridge reading. He spent a couple of weeks a year on shore for physicals etc. Nice old man.

Mario isn't retired, though, as he works from the ship via wifi. (He's a financial planner.) When we met him 2 years ago, he was in a Junior Suite.

Judy

I don't have a clue about the overall expense. The biggest hurdle for me would be the lack of variance in shows, ports, and activities. I also think it would become tedious to continuously meet other pax just have everyone leave after a week or so. At that point, I suppose you would tend to socialize with the crew, rather than other cruisers.

It's an interesting idea, but I would probably limit myself to a month at a time. There was a story last year about an older lady that is living on a cruise ship.

I love my cats too much to leave having pets forever. Don't mind being parted them for a few weeks but long-term they would keep me on the shore. I would definitely get bored if it was the same B2B's all the time, but if when I am retired and have no pets at all, I could definitely see doing a long-term round the world tour - but not forever.

I've started looking into long term cruising. Think eastern/western B2B2B2B then repositioning to Barcelona, then switch ships and reposition back to the US into a B2B2B2B gets you 90ish days on board. There are also global or around the world cruises.

I don't drink, and don't gamble so that cuts a lot of the cost out. I like to lay by the pool in the solarium and read books on my kindle, that I download free from the public library.

I talked to Super Mario on Liberty last year and it planted the idea. Booking in advance, and inside gets the cost down, the goal would be <3k per person per month. Mario said he had 200 to 300 cruise reserved, most of which he will move, just as a hold on several different sailings.

If you did it full time it's after the pets pass, and have the kids/grandkids join you onboard a few times a year, or just take a break for a few weeks then back on board.

We also discusses B2B2B2B from Tampa, then rent a car and drive to Port Can, couple nights in Hotel to stock up and do laundry, the B2B2B2B then rent car and drive to Ft Lauderdale etc etc etc.

It's after retirement and after the pets are gone. Being able to turn down your car insurance helps too.

Bottom line, it's 3k a month to live in an assisted living here, I'd rather be on a cruise ship.

Edited by N41EF

I love cruising, but no way would I want to live on a ship. I would miss my family, hopping in my car to run to the mall or shopping.

I know I would grow so tired of the food - I actually get tired of it after 2 weeks and don't think I could eat that all of the time. I like to cook.

No pets - yikes, no way!

First thing that comes to mind is a budget for the cruise fare each week. Factors include could you deal with an inside stateroom every week to save money, or would you need a balcony at least? Eventually when you hit UnUbtanium Pinnacle Status, I assume some discounts would be kicking in. So what do you think, $1000 a week, every week would cover it? More / less?

What about medical insurance?

Food and non boozy drink all included...but how much extra to budget for variety so you don't commit suicide due to boredom in your 83rd consecutive week of the Windjammer.

Lastly, I guess you have to think long and hard if you could sail every week, week after week. Potential monotony? Maybe, although with Monday morning in the office just hours away, right now I don't see it :D

Just day dreaming....

If you're just dreaming, I'd aim higher than Royal Caribbean.

I follow a blog from a couple who cruise typically 100+ days a year over winter every year. It's great reading and with the variety, I think I could definitely do it one day. If only I could budget the money to afford it...I have no idea how much they spend or those who who "live" on a cruise ship. I would expect $70K+. The first year maybe more...or when there are "new" ports for excursions, etc.

If you're interested, the blog is below. She is a frequent poster on CC, primarily on the Princess board but they also cruise periodically on other lines. Last winter, they moved around a bit on Princess, HAL, and RCI.

http://pescadoamarillo.blogspot.com/2016_02_06_archive.html

What I wonder is not the finance but the logistics....

If "Super Mario" is doing 3/4 night cruises out of Miami does he have to go to lounge on disembarkation day like b2b cruisers have to do?

Because that would be a pain every 4 days

What I wonder is not the finance but the logistics....

If "Super Mario" is doing 3/4 night cruises out of Miami does he have to go to lounge on disembarkation day like b2b cruisers have to do?

Because that would be a pain every 4 days

Unless Mario is now part of the crew, getting off the ship is a US CBP requirement, not a cruise line requirement.

Edited by clarea

Bottom line, it's 3k a month to live in an assisted living here, I'd rather be on a cruise ship.

You get a lot more care in an assisted living facility than on a cruise ship! Frankly, if someone needs an assisted living facility, I don't think they belong on a cruise ship unless they've got a caretaker with them...........

You get a lot more care in an assisted living facility than on a cruise ship! Frankly, if someone needs an assisted living facility, I don't think they belong on a cruise ship unless they've got a caretaker with them...........

That's actually covered in the Guest Conduct Policy under "Fitness to Travel." It wouldn't surprise me to learn that sometime in the past someone tried it and it didn't end well...

Assisted living means different things to different people.

In many cases, the person in "assisted living" is someone who is still essentially "intact" physically and mentally, but unable to do things like cook, clean, mow the yard, shovel snow off the driveway, drive / shop for groceries, etc.

Someone like that could live very easily on a cruise ship -- they'd have new guests to meet at dinner every week, they'd have regular visits from familiar faces with the crew, they have all kinds of entertainment options to choose from, they have someone to cook and clean for them, etc.